Definitive Audiophile pressings

Catching-up on the loot I picked up in Montreal last week and OMG fuck yeah, this sounds good. So crankable. The bass just thumps. Amazing what they could do with thin 80's vinyl sometimes. Original Canadian pressing, cut by Emile Lépine and pressed at the Columbia Pressing plant in Don Mills ON.

View attachment 177973
I've got a copy of Smithereens - Especially For You that's gotta be 120 grams, tops. Eddie Schreyer mastered - it sounds absolutely HUGE.

Grabbed the Rhino 75th STP Purple for $15 on the Plaid sale. It needs a little tone control boost, but then it's a nice LP. Still can't touch that STP Core box release from a SQ level, but this is a really good RL mastering with a BG cut. Likely digital...
View attachment 177986
I grabbed this to go with my OG and MOV. Dumped the Walmart blue splatter one. I’d love a box for purple live ROG did for core.

I've got a copy of Smithereens - Especially For You that's gotta be 120 grams, tops. Eddie Schreyer mastered - it sounds absolutely HUGE.

Love that record! I think my copy of Especially For You is japanese but also sounds really great. My copies of Green Thoughts and 11 are US and Canadian and both are excellent too. The streams that are available don't do justice to any of the Smithereen albums. Wonder why they never got reissues? At any rate, clean originals are not expensive and sound great, so whatever I guess (until people clue in that is).

Grabbed the Rhino 75th STP Purple for $15 on the Plaid sale. It needs a little tone control boost, but then it's a nice LP. Still can't touch that STP Core box release from a SQ level, but this is a really good RL mastering with a BG cut. Likely digital...
View attachment 177986

Probably the same BG cut I have with the 2021 pressing at Optimal. Sounds good but you definitely have to crank it up as you say.

I just got one but it’s by standard post from Canada so if my PIFs from @Mather and crew up there are anything to go by I could be 86 by the time the dolphins manage to bring it over the ocean…

Just to mock me this took 2 days to arrive in Ireland from Canada. Dispached on Wednesday and arrived in Dublin on Friday. I got the customs bill through the post today so now I’ve settled it it’ll likely be delivered tomorrow or the day after…

Last edited:
Just to mock me this took 2 days to arrive in Ireland feom Canada. Dispached on Wednesday and arrived in Dublin on Friday. I got the customs bill through the post today so now I’ve settled it it’ll likely be delivered tomorrow or the day after

Our PIFs go through some sort of black magic bermuda triangle voodoo while crossing the ocean. It’s all a big label conspiracy to discourage inexpensive record trading.

Just placed an order on Cogs for a copy of Blonde - Frank Ocean. Shame that with the state of Cogs lately my mind leans into thinking the album is never going to arrive.

So now listening to 3 JP pressings of The Who

Live At Leeds - brilliant. Clean, clear loud and brash.

Who’s Next - not quite thin like you said your JP ones were @jamieanderson1968 the drums and bass are definitely present but whoever mixed this fucking loves Roger Daltry, he’s practically jumping out of the speakers.

Quadrophinia - oh this is a monster. Brash and in your face with the bass and drums right up front and at the top of the mix!

Our PIFs go through some sort of black magic bermuda triangle voodoo while crossing the ocean. It’s all a big label conspiracy to discourage inexpensive record trading.
To be fair, there were times where I was sending out $100's in shipping costs worth of PIF vinyl all at once that I sent the overseas stuff by boat which takes, fucking forever.. But everything has always arrived. I think by air 2 weeks is in general about right.

To be fair, there were times where I was sending out $100's in shipping costs worth of PIF vinyl all at once that I sent the overseas stuff by boat which takes, fucking forever.. But everything has always arrived. I think by air 2 weeks is in general about right.

Yeah about 10 days to 2 weeks is generally right for transatlantic airmail. East Coast states can be quicker because they often use spare capacity in the hold in passenger planes and we have a lot of flights in and out of the airports that serve NY.

2 days was really the universe mocking my post. Not that I’m complaining!

Yeah about 10 days to 2 weeks is generally right for transatlantic airmail. East Coast states can be quicker because they often use spare capacity in the hold in passenger planes and we have a lot of flights in and out of the airports that serve NY.

2 days was really the universe mocking my post. Not that I’m complaining!
Let this be a lesson to everyone, apparently Warner Canada is kinda awesome.

Who’s Next - not quite thin like you said your JP ones were @jamieanderson1968 the drums and bass are definitely present but whoever mixed this fucking loves Roger Daltry, he’s practically jumping out of the speakers.

Quadrophinia - oh this is a monster. Brash and in your face with the bass and drums right up front and at the top of the mix!
I think the best pressing of Who’s Next I’ve ever heard has been the MCA Heavy pressing . I bet you can guess who cut it 😍

Glad Who’s Next sounds great. My JP pressing was from late 70s I think. I remember Daltry’s vocals way up front but also kind of thin and shrill. Glad your version is good. Such an awesome album

Just placed an order on Cogs for a copy of Blonde - Frank Ocean. Shame that with the state of Cogs lately my mind leans into thinking the album is never going to arrive.
sadly it's very possible that it never shows up. i feel like thats probably one of the biggest scammer titles out there right now due to the demand.

Back