Definitive Audiophile pressings

What's the scoop on the Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie 4 LP set?
Not in a rush to buy as it's up on several retail sites but I loved the CD to death in the 90s.

Assuming it was originally recorded to digital...
Digitally remastered I think. It’s a nice set but not AAA or anything. Can’t comment on the mastering.

Have you heard it?
I have, I’ve owned it for about a decade now. My SO bought it for me as a birthday gift when I turned 31. My copy sounds good. Not audiophile but still a quality pressing. I believe the newer reissues sound even better still from what I’ve read. It is a beautiful package and worth the extra coin.

I see on Discogs that the most recent represses come from Canada. That means Precision pressing plant to me, which is of mixed quality. You might want a specific review of this pressing in particular if anyone here has it.
I am reading several people are getting recent represses of the 2012 version, which is Optimal.
Someone shared a Deep Discount code SUNNY for 15%.
Decided to make the buy. We'll see what shows up.👀

Catching-up on the loot I picked up in Montreal last week and OMG fuck yeah, this sounds good. So crankable. The bass just thumps. Amazing what they could do with thin 80's vinyl sometimes. Original Canadian pressing, cut by Emile Lépine and pressed at the Columbia Pressing plant in Don Mills ON.

IMG_0255.JPG

Catching-up on the loot I picked up in Montreal last week and OMG fuck yeah, this sounds good. So crankable. The bass just thumps. Amazing what they could do with thin 80's vinyl sometimes. Original Canadian pressing, cut by Emile Lépine and pressed at the Columbia Pressing plant in Don Mills ON.

View attachment 177973
It's amazing how good the thin vinyl can sound.
I really question this 180 and 200 stuff that seems to warp a hell of a lot easier.

Listened to the 3 Japanese S&G pressings earlier.

Wednesday Morning, 3AM - Music sounds really good and it’s a nice quiet pressing. The vocals do distort on a couple of ocassions but given the pressing otherwise sounds good might this be the limitations of the original recording?

Sounds of Silence - Really nice press, solid clear and clean.

Concert In Central Park - stellar pressing. Really nice clean clear pressing with a great depth to the sound. Really immerses you in the gig.

Listened to the 3 Japanese S&G pressings earlier.

Wednesday Morning, 3AM - Music sounds really good and it’s a nice quiet pressing. The vocals do distort on a couple of ocassions but given the pressing otherwise sounds good might this be the limitations of the original recording?

Sounds of Silence - Really nice press, solid clear and clean.

Concert In Central Park - stellar pressing. Really nice clean clear pressing with a great depth to the sound. Really immerses you in the gig.
I would guess it is a limitation of the original recording on Wednesday Morning, 3AM. Good to know about all of these. I seem to recall that an OG pressing of the Concert in Central Park sounds very good, which is kinda cool for a concert recorded so long ago, in an outdoor setting.

Back