December 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge: The Intergalactic Mixtape Dance-Off!

Day 2: Go All the Way

Various Artists - Lodge 49 (Original Series Soundtrack)

You'll have to forgive a streamed entry today, as this superb soundtrack to the even better show has not had a physical release. I also don't totally know what power pop is apart from a few examples played earlier, but I think this '60s garage rock tune kinda fits the vibe.

(Also, watch this show!)

View attachment 160098

I miss it. I miss it so much.

Day 5 – Fooled Around And Fell In Love
I fooled around and fell in love, since I met you baby.
Play some Yacht Rock, or anything related to fools, sailing or sipping champagne.

A three-fer - sailing, fools and booze...

Looks like they made it intact and are hitting the bar...

This is such an underrated Doors album. The only thing that seems to get played off it is Roadhouse Blues but it's as solid as any of their records from top to bottom. Rockin', jazzy and some beautiful love songs. Jim wrote some gorgeous love songs...

The Doors - Morrison Hotel

20221205_004147.jpg

Day 1 - Hooked On A Feeling
Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track.

Of all the mixtapes I've made (maybe about 4 in my lifetime), I used Waiting Room as the first track - since it's the best Track 1/Side 1's ever.

Fugazi – Fugazi
Dischord Records – Dischord 30, 1988/2008

Cut by Robert Weston at Chicago Mastering Service
Pressed at United

MMdutR.jpg

AHpb4g.jpg

Play some Yacht Rock, or anything related to fools, sailing or sipping champagne.

How do you not include what is, if not the creation of Yacht Rock as an established genre, what would certainly be a peak (or swell) of the genre. Hell, you've even got Michael McDonald on background vocals.

While I prefer Ride Like the Wind, Sailing obviously gets the nod here on the mixtape given the prompt.

Christopher Cross ~ Self Titled

1670264540250.png

If anyone needs a refresher on what exactly "yacht rock" is all about...

Since I don't have much yacht rock on vinyl, I'll take the liberty of streaming Hall & Oates while at work today.

Thundercat "Drunk" (2017 Brainfeeder)
Thundercat's brilliant tribute to Yacht Rock is the next track on my mixtape. Great song, made even better by the absolutely perfect guest spots from Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald.

IMG_3263.JPG

Guardians of The Galaxy Lego Advent Calendar Interlude!

Day 5 - After a couple lackluster days, Rocket Racoon decides to join the fun. A bit late to the party, but he brought some headphones and wants to make a mixtape too! He's also got some dynamite, because you never know what kind of party it's going to be!

IMG_3261.JPG

Not sure I have much in the yacht rock group, but I'm guessing this is close. Makes me feel yachty.

Cotton Jones - Paranoid Cocoon

CB4A9C6B-0309-49AE-84A8-C6BD7A1B59F3.jpeg

Day 4 – Moonage Daydream
I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you.
Play some glam rock or anything glamorous.

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

I was gonna play more Bowie, but I decided to go for a band with a lot of Bowie in its sonic DNA, just not always in an obvious way. Not only did Bowie guest on a track on the album before this one, he also chose TVOTR to cover his song "Heroes" for a War Child comp. To keep things glamorous, let's go with the sonic excesses of "Golden Age" from this album.

IMG_20221205_130605062.jpg

Average White Band - AWB

20221205_131002.jpg

I absolutely interpret this as yacht rock. Buncha dads and older men humming the melodies of "Work to Do" or "Pick up the Pieces" at work.

If anyone needs a refresher on what exactly "yacht rock" is all about...

Since I don't have much yacht rock on vinyl, I'll take the liberty of streaming Hall & Oates while at work today.

Speaking of Yacht Rock and kick ass mixtapes, here's a Yacht Rock Spotify Playlist I have spent the better part of 2022 blissfully bopping along to.

This is a little bit of a stretch but necessary because I am only playing cds. I see yacht rock as a form of sophisticated pop in its subject matter. And I think this era of EBTG (Amplified Heart/Walking Wounded/Temperamental) is the perfect embodiment of sophistication (plus it goes well with this month’s mix tape)

Everything but the girl - Walking Wounded
IMG_1426.jpg

Speaking of Yacht Rock and kick ass mixtapes, here's a Yacht Rock Spotify Playlist I have spent the better part of 2022 blissfully bopping along to.

Listening to this will get me primed for watching this show! :D

Back