December 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: ‘Tis The Season Of Giving

A3862357-A4F8-481E-8B8B-08E915143BE6.jpeg431335DF-2D25-4238-B449-B098831277E3.jpegDay 3 - Happy Hour

Usually I blare something like RTJ on the car ride home to get some work angst out. Then when I get home I pop on some Jazz mostly. Get stuff done and kids do homework. Today’s pick, I had this on cd and just bought the record this year. First listen.

Last edited:
Day 3 — Happy Hour

Soul music is great with a beer or whiskey on a Friday evening, and for me, Nina is the G.O.A.T. (Sorry Aretha). Realistically I could make any of my Nina Simone albums fit most themes this month, and I’ll start with this one on day 3.

Nina Simone — Nina Simone Sings the Blues

image.jpg

Day 3

098E29EA-4DA4-45B4-9AAB-AE2EF19DFCA5.jpeg
Wilco - A.M.

At this point Wilco is the aural equivealent of comfort food. On a crazy day like today, it is the perfect unwind.

There are also always the crazy days that have dateline coasting through my veins still when I get home. That’s what Rage Against the Machine, Pantera and Nine Inch Nails are for.

View attachment 120135View attachment 120136Day 3 - Happy Hour

Usually I blare something like RTJ on the car ride home to get some work angst out. Then when I get home I pop on some Jazz mostly. Get stuff done and kids do homework. Today pick, I had on cd and just bought the record this year. First listen.
I love this recording. I got this on CD when it was first released, and so I was super happy to get a pressing of it.

Day 3 - Happy Hour

Kweku Collins - Nat Love

20211203_191242.jpg

I don't even recall anymore how I stumbled upon this album years ago, but I do remember what a wild search I undertook to track down a copy on vinyl last summer. Some great bedroom/indie hip hop vibes for the beginning or end of a day. (Or any time, really!)

Day 3 - Happy Hour

Kweku Collins - Nat Love

View attachment 120175

I don't even recall anymore how I stumbled upon this album years ago, but I do remember what a wild search I undertook to track down a copy on vinyl last summer. Some great bedroom/indie hip hop vibes for the beginning or end of a day. (Or any time, really!)
I think you're the only person I've ever seen who even knows who Kweku is, lol. He's a local dude, so that's how I got put on to this. I remember Stupid Roses, but I need to revisit this album again.

I think you're the only person I've ever seen who even knows who Kweku is, lol. He's a local dude, so that's how I got put on to this. I remember Stupid Roses, but I need to revisit this album again.

It was actually from Shuga Records that I finally tracked down this copy. It never ceases to amaze me how often something I stumble upon musically and wind up loving comes from Chicago, actually - particularly when it comes to jazz and hip hop.

It was actually from Shuga Records that I finally tracked down this copy. It never ceases to amaze me how often something I stumble upon musically and wind up loving comes from Chicago, actually - particularly when it comes to jazz and hip hop.
He put out another project after Nat Love that I remember liking at the time, too. Don't think it ever got a vinyl pressing, but I need to revisit that one too.

Back