Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 18 - December 2020 /// Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Michael Brook – Mustt Mustt

panino

short intro to create some context for this guess thread.
It is my AOTM, so I probably should share some more about who I am, since my presence on this forum is limited to few threads....

I am Italian, and I have grown up in a musical context that is very different from the greatest majority of people here.
The radio (yes, I belong to the radio generation) was playing mainly Italian artists, and until few years ago, when British/American artists were played, I had no idea what their songs were about... due to my lack of English language.
I am a 70s kid and went to college (University) in the 90s.
My interest in music coincided with the explosion of Indie music and grunge, and this generation of artists is what I keep listening too.
I've always been more interested in American artists, than British artists (with some exception).

now, how the hints will be presented:
I honestly haven't made a plan.
I have a list of hints that I plan to present, and the list will be reshuffled based on the guesses and the direction the conversation is taking.
I have some confusing hints, and some more obvious ones.
I will update this thread with your guesses as best I can, but I normally stay away from the forum on weekends (with some exceptions).
First (official) hint will be this Friday, and AOTM reveal will probably be sometimes around the 20th November (or earlier if you and me are exhausted by the process).

I love this community and appreciate your contributions to this thread guesses, to achieve maximum mayhem and general chaos.

1603903972980.png

Last edited:
Guesses or "good tries":
@Skalap --> The Smashing Pumpkins ‎– Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
@Gavaxeman --> aa.vv. - Lostin Translation (soundtrack)
@Gavaxeman --> Aretha Franklin - This Girls In love with you
@Jan --> Sloan - ?
@gaporter --> Gorillaz - D-sides
@Waitressboy --> The Editors - The Weight of Your Love
@Skalap --> Jamie XXX - In Colour
@blissfullychaotic --> Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
@ByersVinyl --> Jamiroquai - Travelling without Moving
@gregathon --> Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl
@ByersVinyl --> Depeche Mode - Violator

[USER=352]@ByersVinyl[/USER] --> Everything but the Girl - Eden
@Joe Mac --> Rhiannon Giddens with Francesco Turrisi - There Is No Other
@Fleetwood-Matt --> Eric B & Rakim - Let the Rythm Hit Em
@Fleetwood-Matt --> Brian Eno & John Cale - Wrong Way Up

@Jan --> Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Mustt Mustt
@duke86fan --> Fripp and Eno- No Pussyfootin

Last edited:
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Michael Brook – Mustt Mustt – Real World record – 1990

I mentioned in the guess thread intro that the late 80s and 90s are my musical discovery time.
This decade and a bit was when I realised my interest in the music world and I developed an urgency to try and expose myself to non-conventional music.
Independent music exploded in this period, only to be swallowed up, digested and thrown out by the great Major.
This was also the period when the mainly Anglo/American music world opened the doors and ears to new sounds, and Peter Gabriel in 1989 funded Real World and launched the WOMAD festival.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was already a star in his own Pakistan, but was virtually unknown in Europe and North America.

I listened to this album for the first time few years after its release, probably in 1993, while at a student hostel party while living in Toulouse, France. Maybe it was the number of joints, the Beaujolais or the cheap beer, but I never forgot this record. I had never heard any music being done this way before, I had never heard something so evocative, and I was captured by the mixture of rhythm and mysticism.

Now, 30 years after, the music has the same effect. It takes me on a trip (to France, or to the Middle East) and it constantly surprise me with its sounds.
I hope you can enjoy this journey across the album sounds with me.
A better written and documented album essay is at the link below:

The album is widely available at reasonable costs and I will not provide any direct links for purchase.

If you’re not keen on Mustt Mustt, below is a short list of other albums that were on my pick list for this AoTM:

DJ – Endtroducing… --> another album of discovery. A new music genre was born with this.

Jesus Lizard – Down --> dirty and punk. No concessions to anybody. Cutting guitar riffs and skin curling screams.

Prince – Controversy --> dirty and funky. A milestone in Prince’s discography.

Battles – Mirror --> the sound of the future, maths and programming. Pulsating beats.

Last edited:
..and to trigger the discussions, off topic naturally, here is my question of the day.

Pineapple.
Does it belong on pizza?

ok, I believe this needs a disclaimer.
I am Italian.
Not like of Italian origin from my second cousin.... I am Italian Italian, with passport, hand gestures, temper and driving impatience.
This also implies that I am a Taliban for what concerns Italian cuisine (and yes, pizza is ONLY italian).
so, you can imagine my take on pineapple.

This take extends to chicken, sweetcorn, meatballs, barbeque sauce, beef and other barbaric items that have been added to this majestic culinary masterpiece!

now that this is clear, feel free to tell me that you like pineapple on pizza.....

I am Italian.
Not like of Italian origin from my second cousin.... I am Italian Italian, with passport, hand gestures, temper and driving impatience.
This also implies that I am a Taliban for what concerns Italian cuisine (and yes, pizza is ONLY italian).

This take extends to chicken, sweetcorn, meatballs, barbeque sauce, beef and other barbaric items that have been added to this majestic culinary masterpiece!

now that this is clear, feel free to tell me that you like pineapple on pizza.....

Do you do that all the time?

Last edited:
I am Italian.

People like to put ketchup on pizza here...
I just want to slap their hands when I see them reaching for the packets.

My favorite pizzas are: margherita, ham/eggs/onions/olives (which we call Portuguese) and mozzarella/anchovies (called Napolitano).

Everything is fine. Pineapple on a pizza is fine. The saltiness and savoriness of the ham pairs well with the sweet tartness of the pineapple. It’s been around since 1962. I remember it being an option at the Pizza Hut when I was a wee lad in the 80s. The Pizza Hut was awesome because it was the only place in 40 miles that had arcade games. Donkey Kong and pizza! At that time, I generally preferred hamburger pizza. My favorite styles now are (1) supreme and (2) pepperoni and jalapeño.

I like mustard on my hot dogs, but ketchup will work. The sugar in the ketchup tends to overwhelm the flavor of a hot dog, but it’s not like hot dogs are that delicious to begin with. If you want more sugar with your processed sodium bomb, I’m not gonna judge.

Mayonnaise on a hamburger, on the other hand, is a crime against nature.

@panino you're not going to like this....Because wife has developed a bit of a digestive intolerance for most red sauces, when we order pizza (from our favorite mom & pop shop Main Street Pizza!) we get one square with bacon and pineapple and no sauce. It's not pizza in that form I know, but it's delicious. (I still get a round pizza with pepperoni when we order)

And, I do mayo and ketchup on burgers. But, don't buy Mayochup by Heinze, it's the color of pepto bismal.

Just mustard on a hot dog.

Back