December 2020 Challenge Thread: Let's Go Out With A Bang (The return of the raffle!)

Day 1: N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time Submission Due Date

Arcade Fire - Funeral

BB8D4208-F44A-4893-90AE-3A30E77D2F19.jpeg

I didn’t make a list but this is probably somewhere in my top 10. Sometimes a record is released just at the right time in your life. This album is one of those perfect records to me, where every song is not only so great but everything down to the order of the tracks just makes sense and feels almost cinematic.

Day 1 - Top 500

View attachment 78350

St Vincent - MASSeduction

I dont even know what to say about this album. The way she masterfully interweaves pop and rock and explores depression and numbing the pain will never cease to enthrall me. This album skyrocketed her to one of my favorite artist of all time and "Los Ageless" is most likely my favorite song of all time

I never ended up joining that thread because I feel like my top 50 album list is way to unrefined as of now. It would honestly be mainly albums from the 2010s and I didnt want that lol

It’s a fun exercise and most people’s change with time. It’s an interesting snapshot of where you are at.

Agreed, it's really fun to do and a lot of people are heavier with newer albums. You should give it a shot! I started a list last summer and came back to it last month to refine it for that thread and changed a bunch of things, so it's definitely pretty fluid in my eyes haha

Day 2: Finally! - Something that was in your wantlist for a long time

Dashboard Confessional - The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most

This album was in my wantlist from the beginning of me collecting records. It wasn't that it was expensive or hard to find, but rather that it had never been pressed on vinyl. Needless to say when they pressed it this year I was so pumped and ordered it right away!

Day 1: N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time Submission Due Date
Play one of your all time favorite albums

I posted my top 50 in the thread a little back, but here it is again, just for kicks:

topsters2-2-jpg.75296

So, of those, I chose #12 for today:

The Notwist - Neon Golden

View attachment 78297
What did y'all use to get your albums with those images?

Day 2: Finally!

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (Impulse Records, 1965 First Stereo Club Edition)

I decided to go with an unexpected tick off the want list today. For years I had a 1968 pressing of this fantastic album which I was really happy with. Although a first pressing was on my wantlist I never really expected to buy one as they tend to demand such a high price and I couldn't really see how there would be any negligible difference between the first and my '68 pressing. Back in the early summer, I had the opportunity to buy this first club pressing at a great price, so I took the gamble and bought it. Its just killer, an amazing sounding copy which is certainly ahead of any other version that I have heard to date. So it finally got ticked off the list.

IMG_5599.JPG

Day 2: Finally!
Play something that was in your wantlist for a long time

I have to stream this one today because I was either very lucky on stuff coming off of my wishlist quickly or...it's still there because no one wants to sell their copy for an exorbitant price, but I did get one.

This is one of my favorite Xmas gifts for my lovely, Muppets obsessed girlfriend. Anyone who follows the Muppets knows how weirdly entangled their rights are, which plays into the weirdness of finding Muppets records on vinyl. John Denver with the Muppets has been pressed an infinite number of times, and some of their movies/soundtracks aren't super challenging to find...but there's two truly obnoxious ones. One's a Muppet Christmas Carol which I am convinced at this point doesn't exist despite the Discogs listing. I haven't given up on it but it's truly a ghost (fittingly enough). The other is Muppets Christmas Carol. The narrative story version is readily available, but the Soundtrack is mighty tricky. A handful of European listings on Discogs...until earlier this month when someone listed a very reasonably priced EBay listing I snapped up. It came as minty sealed as I could expect from a 35+ year old record. I can't really open it til Christmas so I found a Youtube soundtrack for it and am listening to it today, but I'm excited for her to get this one.

The Muppets Take Manhattan (The Original Sound Track)

PXL_20201202_135452763.jpg

Day 2: Finally! Play something that was in your wantlist for a long time

The Chills - Submarine Bells

The Chills have been a favourite band of mine for over 30 years now, ever since I first heard Pink Frost. This album is one of my oldest cds and played to hell. There are very few (reasonably priced) original vinyl pressings available. But earlier this year Fire announce a reissue of this and Soft Bomb and I ordered it right away.
91936A03-20AE-4E66-9F6C-A4482CD85B13.jpeg

Day 02: Finally!
Play something that was in your wantlist for a long time
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
8FE4D2A5-5545-4FC5-ACCC-97DB27A78D2F.jpeg
The White Stripes have alway been a band I enjoyed a great deal but for one reason or another never invested in their vinyl. It is strange as the bands from that era that I also was fond of (The Strokes, Interpol, Ryan Adams, etc...) Have managed to work multiple albums into my collection over the years yet until VMP put out De Stijl earlier this year I had zero White Stripes records. Now, thanks to @tvham generous PIF I have added what is likely my favorite of their LPs (I still need to acquire a good copy of Elephant). I bet White Blood Cells was probably on of the first LPs added to my want list when I set it up on Discogs.

Day 1 - Top 500
Television - Marquee Moon

I am terrible at ranking things. Very hard for me to do it comfortably winging it from memory. I liked the best of the year threads because I had a finite list of albums that I knew I loved, plus some I hadn't listened to in a while, plus some new ones to check out and I would listen to all of them and rank them as I went. Didn't always find enough time for it, even in the two week periods. The idea of doing something like that is too daunting for me for best albums ever. If only I had been able to participate for every year in the other threads, then it would be a tiiiny bit easier. Anyway, thanks for running all those @Woob_woob!

This album is a classic nonetheless. Not sure where exactly it would fall at the end of the day but it would certainly be in consideration.

PXL_20201202_185703894.jpg

Back