December 2020 Challenge Thread: Let's Go Out With A Bang (The return of the raffle!)

I've never done a monthly challenge before, but I'll throw my hat in the ring this month. I'll add my submission when I get home tonight.
I always get behind and never actually finish them, but it’s fun to have a specific reason to listen to some records when I do get around to listening. And who doesn’t like showing off pictures of their stuff?
1606848134595.gif

Day 1: N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time Submission Due Date

Lee Morgan ‎– The Cooker (Blue Note, 1958 First Mono Pressing)

After all the talk of Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' I was close to spinning that for today's challenge (and I will be after this!) but decided to stick to jazz and this killer by Lee Morgan. I could have chosen almost any album by the trumpeter but on this one, he is firing on all cylinders!

IMG_5574.JPG

Ok. I really can’t stand Wonderwall. Whiny, overplayed schlock that somehow embodies the white guy with guitar schtick to memesville. With that said, the rest of the album really hits that Brit-rock nerve of the era and I think it still plays extremely well compared to similar modern attempts.

#19 - What's The Story Morning Glory - Oasis

PXL_20201201_223808043.jpg

Day 1

favorite

this is the rare thing a favorite that is also the best. It’s still as relevant today as it was 49 years ago. While that’s kind of sad, the album is so hopeful while being commentary on all that is wrong. there’s also anger bubbling just beneath the surface. It was a leap forward for the artist, his label, and soul music. It remains powerful and perfect. It’s both a product of it’s time and is proving to be timeless.
A4A4A562-A33E-40A3-9A2C-2EDCA993141E.jpeg
Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On?

Play one of your all time favorite albums

I posted my top 50 in the thread a little back, but here it is again, just for kicks:

topsters2-2-jpg.75296

So, of those, I chose #12 for today:

The Notwist - Neon Golden

20201201_164519.jpg

Play one of your all time favorite albums (and submit your list to @Woob_woob!)

I am too freaking busy so I did a little post talking about my pick on the thread. I would have loved more time, but it's 9:12 pm and I must be up early for the office tomorrow..... (already feel like I have 0 me time....)

Tonight Alive - Limitless

Nothing like a calming album to get me in the mood for the coziness of this time of the year!

IMG_0924.jpg

Day 01: N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time Submission Due Date
Play one of your all time favorite albums (and submit your list to @Woob_woob!)
Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
F2A095F6-1BC8-433A-8377-CF006E5B3AAF.jpeg

This one was #9 on my Top 50. I probably could’ve added the rest of their discography but I limited one album per artist on my submission.
CB8A2335-B426-4142-8532-129A3C6FDC4C.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 1 - Top 500

20201201_234320.jpg

St Vincent - MASSeduction

I dont even know what to say about this album. The way she masterfully interweaves pop and rock and explores depression and numbing the pain will never cease to enthrall me. This album skyrocketed her to one of my favorite artist of all time and "Los Ageless" is most likely my favorite song of all time

I never ended up joining that thread because I feel like my top 50 album list is way to unrefined as of now. It would honestly be mainly albums from the 2010s and I didnt want that lol

Day 1 - Top 500

View attachment 78350

St Vincent - MASSeduction

I dont even know what to say about this album. The way she masterfully interweaves pop and rock and explores depression and numbing the pain will never cease to enthrall me. This album skyrocketed her to one of my favorite artist of all time and "Los Ageless" is most likely my favorite song of all time

I never ended up joining that thread because I feel like my top 50 album list is way to unrefined as of now. It would honestly be mainly albums from the 2010s and I didnt want that lol
It’s a fun exercise and most people’s change with time. It’s an interesting snapshot of where you are at.

Back