Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

Is it too late to get in on this? I was just made aware of it, by @dansomeone, when I posted about my potential upgrade path in the hardware thread. I see that we've just reached the end of the current line-up, so if you haven't already packed it up and sent it back, I'll take a listen for a few days. If not, that's cool. I just read through the thread before posting, so have a good idea on what the equipment delivers, anyway.

Is it too late to get in on this? I was just made aware of it, by @dansomeone, when I posted about my potential upgrade path in the hardware thread. I see that we've just reached the end of the current line-up, so if you haven't already packed it up and sent it back, I'll take a listen for a few days. If not, that's cool. I just read through the thread before posting, so have a good idea on what the equipment delivers, anyway.
I have not sent it back yet so as long as the thread and @krichard2496 are fine with the tour continuing I can send it to you and then maybe by that times @HayesWeighsIn will be ready for it?

Hey @dbarila !

DM me your address. Pending approval of this continuing I will get that sent out.

New here and was delighted to see this thread on the MM-6. This question really merges two of your threads, this one and the one on under $1K cartridges. So, I am looking to move to a MC cartridge, and Darlington is about to introduce their SU-7 head amp so I can use a MC with the MM-6. Unfortunately, the SU-7 is going to cost around 40% more than the price of the MM-6 by itself. So what do you think is the better option?

A.) an approximately $700 low output MC cartridge such as the Hana SL or the AT-OC9XSH with the SU-7 headamp into the MM-6, or;

B.) the Hana MH, and get the MM-6 upgraded with the "Gain-Up" switch. Both options would be about $1200.

I have had my MM-6 for about 9 months and love it. I was upgrading from an old pro-ject phono box and it was a night and day improvement. My current system is an SL-1200GR into the MM-6 into a Schiit Freya+.

Awesome. I’m no audiophile, so I’m gonna just spin records that I spin CONSTANTLY. Like old-ass pressings of Springsteen records and Elvis and indie rock stuff. I do have some AAA stuff, so might spin a few of those, too. But, I just want to see if there’s a noticeable difference on my day to day playing. I will say that if there is, I’ll buy one before my 7 days is up. 🤣👍🏻

New here and was delighted to see this thread on the MM-6. This question really merges two of your threads, this one and the one on under $1K cartridges. So, I am looking to move to a MC cartridge, and Darlington is about to introduce their SU-7 head amp so I can use a MC with the MM-6. Unfortunately, the SU-7 is going to cost around 40% more than the price of the MM-6 by itself. So what do you think is the better option?

A.) an approximately $700 low output MC cartridge such as the Hana SL or the AT-OC9XSH with the SU-7 headamp into the MM-6, or;

B.) the Hana MH, and get the MM-6 upgraded with the "Gain-Up" switch. Both options would be about $1200.

I have had my MM-6 for about 9 months and love it. I was upgrading from an old pro-ject phono box and it was a night and day improvement. My current system is an SL-1200GR into the MM-6 into a Schiit Freya+.
A third option would be the ML and a step up transformer.

How about C) get the SU-6?
I'm also about to make the leap to MC myself and and considering the AT-OC9XML

How about C) get the SU-6?
I'm also about to make the leap to MC myself and and considering the AT-OC9XML

Being fixed to one impedance with the SU6 could be pretty restrictive if you want to sample a few different MCs. If you’re set on one for the foreseeable that you want then yeah maybe a good idea to save money.

I’d definitely put the Hana SL in that same conversation. I was originally going for the XML myself but after a long conversation with the dealer on best cartridges in that range ended up with the Hana. I don’t regret it, it is a pretty magnificent thing!

I have thought about a step-up transformer, but most of these are as expensive as the SU-7. Cost no object, I suppose getting the SU-7 for the MM-6 gives the most flexibility for future cartridge changes.

I had just read our host's review of the Hana MH and got the impression he thought the MH would be a significant step-up over the SL, but, of course, he did not have an opportunity for a direct comparison. Indeed, other than his review, I don't typically see a lot of love for the high output moving coils. That said, I'll probably get the gain-up upgrade for the MM-6 and investigate some of the grado wood or soundsmith MI cartridges in this price range.

Just took delivery of the unit. I’m going to make a Mai Tai, switch out preamps and spin the classics for the night.

Okay first song in and I notice a big difference. The sound is more “full”. It’s not life-altering, but I can better differentiate from the guitar sound coming out of the left speaker and right. And the vocals aren’t as far forward as on the DJ Pre II, which I like. I’m listening to A More Perfect Union by Titus Andronicus, since it’s the song I listens to last before plugging the Darlington up. I’ll put on something a little more “polished” after this, but just wanted to get my first impression out there before I forget.

Last edited:
Back