Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

Thank you.

We are particularly interested to hear user reports of cartridges where they are offered in a 4mV high output version and a 1mV low output version, otherwise being as similar as possible - Grado and Hana that we've seen. Sounds like the lower output version is working well for you. Sales stats from dealers would be interesting too.

I had the Grado Opus3 before the Hana and really liked it too. I had the Low Output version of it too I’m afraid. I think I was advised that because my phono stage could handle either version that the Low Output would be preferable. I would be very interested to hear the Higher Output Opus and the Hana SH in a blind test with the Low Output ones and see what I thought!

@HayesWeighsIn when your done with your demo may I get a listen on the MM-6 please ?

I will be able to test it with vintage, rebuilt McIntosh and VPI Scout.
Sorry, the demo has ended! My system wasn’t up and running when my turn came up, was putting together a new system for my new house, so I unfortunately didn’t have a chance to give it a whirl. One day! :)

@HiFi Guy @krichard2496 Any chance of a MM-6 demo Tour II ?
Probably not soon. We have an SU-7 coming out, and maybe we could think about that. If you have an existing Low-Output Moving Coil cartridge, it can be used "together with" your own existing preamp, putting that existing preamp in a "MM" mode (lower gain). Basically it functions as an active Step-Up Transformer. An interesting product and not well-represented by other options in the market. We'll have the same money-back guarantee on it, but as a truly-more-unusual product with less existing client feedback in the marketplace, the SU-7 might be well-suited to an introductory Tour.

If you are interested in an MM-6, we have a money back guarantee so you can audition at your own pace (30 days) which is longer than the one-week-per-person that was standard on last year's MM-6 tour.

Maybe we could get someone to lend a good mechanical/passive SUT for a joint comparison with an SU-7.

Last edited:
Probably not soon. We have an SU-7 coming out, and maybe we could think about that. If you have an existing Low-Output Moving Coil cartridge, it can be used "together with" your own existing preamp, putting that existing preamp in a "MM" mode (lower gain). Basically it functions as an active Step-Up Transformer. An interesting product and not well-represented by other options in the market. We'll have the same money-back guarantee on it, but as a truly-more-unusual product with less existing client feedback in the marketplace, the SU-7 might be well-suited to an introductory Tour.

If you are interested in an MM-6, we have a money back guarantee so you can audition at your own pace (30 days) which is longer than the one-week-per-person that was standard on last year's MM-6 tour.

Maybe we could get someone to lend a good mechanical/passive SUT for a joint comparison with an SU-7.
I'm very happy with a high output Grado Timbre Series. I'm likely to build a diy 834p clone one day but wish you the best with everything.

Last edited:
I have listed my upgraded MP-7 for $480 shipped in the Buy/Sell forum. It's an excellent phono preamp for high output MM or MI carts, but I am upgrading. It was specially made with +42dB gain and has the upgraded genuine best jacks and the mono switch.

Last edited:
I wasn't part of the tour but the comments here convinced me to buy the MM-6. I got a B-Stock version which has upgraded RCA connectors and the power light on the front plate. Couple of minor scratches, no big deal. Man does this thing sing! I've had dozens of phono preamps and this one leaves them all in the dust. Even the coveted iFi Audio Zen sounds thin and lame compared to the Darlington MM-6. As a matter of fact, I just sold my iFi Audio Zen. The MM-6 is a keeper. Highly recommended!F330F8D8-D59B-4CBF-9EB8-535C4ADDBA0F_1_201_a.jpeg

I had a good budget phono stage that I was content with. However, due to all the positive response for Darlington Labs, and because my phono stage was next in line for upgrading, I decided to give an MP-7 a try. Wow...right out of the box it is so resolving and life-like sounding, it really is like listening to my records anew. In addition there's the first class support from Keith. I'm yet another very satisfied customer. Kudos to Keith Richardson for creating an outstanding component at an affordable price!

(and to HiFi Guy, yes...I agree now with you about it regarding my other stage. ;) )

Last edited:
I had a good budget phono stage that I was content with. However, due to all the positive response for Darlington Labs, and because my phono stage was next in line for upgrading, I decided to give an MP-7 a try. Wow...right out of the box it is so resolving and life-like sounding, it really is like listening to my records anew. In addition there's the first class support from Keith. I'm yet another very satisfied customer. Kudos to Keith Richardson for creating an outstanding component at an affordable price!

(and to HiFi Guy, yes...I agree now with you about it regarding my other stage. ;) )
Congrats. Don’t turn it off. It’ll sound even better after 72 hours.

This is the type of influence I needed where I’m thinking about making the same jump from my Lounge as well. The MP-7/SU-7 combo is what I’ve had my eye on to make this jump into MC world. I think this is probably where I’m headed unless I track down a deal on a Sutherland Insight or 20/20.

This is the type of influence I needed where I’m thinking about making the same jump from my Lounge as well. The MP-7/SU-7 combo is what I’ve had my eye on to make this jump into MC world. I think this is probably where I’m headed unless I track down a deal on a Sutherland Insight or 20/20.
I considered doing that as well, but for about half the cost and since it has a trial period, I decided to try the MP-7. I was set to carefully evaluate, but even right out of the box the trial seems to be moot. I went with the B-stock which has new internals, and a tiny scratch on the back cover. For under $500 you cannot go wrong. (in addition it really opened up my Nagaoka)

Last edited:
I considered doing that as well, but for about half the cost and since it has a trial period, I decided to try the MP-7. I was set to carefully evaluate, but even right out of the box the trial is a moot point. I went with the B-stock which has new internals, and only an almost imperceptible tiny scratch on the back cover. For under $500 you cannot go wrong. (in addition it really opened up my Nagaoka)

Right on, I also have my MP-200 and it still has some life in it. Pretty cool to hear this based on having some very similar setups.

Thinking about finally moving on from my Vincent Pho 8 and starting to lean towards the MP7. For the longest time was considering the Sutherland Insight but I'm almost happy with the Pho 8 so maybe don't need that large of an upgrade.

I use the AT VM540ML on the Pioneer PLX1000 the MP7 is my best bet for the Darlington line correct? I like the AT cart a lot so will probably stick with it long term. I'm assuming there is no reason the MP6 would be better with my setup but thought I would ask first. I have never seemed to grasp the matching the cart with the preamp calculations.

The combo of BStock and return policy makes me think why not. Was really zoned in on the Sutherland but at half the price I'm sure this will be a nice upgrade over my Pho8.

Thinking about finally moving on from my Vincent Pho 8 and starting to lean towards the MP7. For the longest time was considering the Sutherland Insight but I'm almost happy with the Pho 8 so maybe don't need that large of an upgrade.

I use the AT VM540ML on the Pioneer PLX1000 the MP7 is my best bet for the Darlington line correct? I like the AT cart a lot so will probably stick with it long term. I'm assuming there is no reason the MP6 would be better with my setup but thought I would ask first. I have never seemed to grasp the matching the cart with the preamp calculations.

The combo of BStock and return policy makes me think why not. Was really zoned in on the Sutherland but at half the price I'm sure this will be a nice upgrade over my Pho8.
After reading of all the positive experience, the B stock and return policy spurred me on to try it and I've been extremely happy with it. Even from the first day the return policy was moot for me. It is a top contender for under $1k. Plus the customer service from Keith is top shelf!

Back