Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

It’s witchcraft
EE Master's or even PhD programs probably aren't suited to turning out the next John Curl.
Analog isn't taught in depth. Decades of practical and iterative research and a sensitive ear are important.
We hope that the Chinese-clones-on-eBay-board manufacturers consider it witchcraft, however.

Last edited:
EE Master's or even PhD programs probably aren't suited to turning out the next John Curl.
Analog isn't taught in depth. Decades of practical and iterative research and a sensitive ear are important.
We hope that the Chinese-clones-on-eBay-board manufacturers consider it witchcraft, however.

Those dang Chinese clones!

Hooked it up. Current setup is U-Turn Orbit with Grado Blue3, Schiit Mani, Onkyo TX-8020 and Elac B6.

Swapped out the Mani and put in the MM-6. Only had a few minutes so I listened to Side A of Deafheaven Infinite Granite. The first thing it noticed was the sound was fuller and overall clearer. The bass was noticably less than with the Mani but the sound was overall tighter.

Next I want to try the new Low album and see how it handles all the electronic noises.

Sorry for lack of updates. Kids have been tough at bed time so it's really cut down on my listening time.

The Low album sounded great. Again, everything sounds nice a clear. The layers of electronics and vocals sounded more separated. I didn't notice the lack of bass on this one.

Also listened to the new VMP Grizzly Bear. The bass sounded kind of boomy on the first track with the Mani so I wanted to compare. It did seem to tighten up the bottom end a but. The vocals and instruments sounded great.

Everything is simple once it's explained!

So a Beatles Mono pressing would be a good test for this? What exactly does it do?

Yeah it’d be a very good test.

It sums the channels together to create one identical signal going to both channels. Its benefits are supposed to be centring the sound imaging and reducing the noise floor.

The Mono switch definitely makes the mix sound more centered and Fuller. Compared to with it off where the sound just sounds like it's coming from each speaker. I need to listen again when my wife is in the room so she can flip the switch while I'm in my listening position to hear the immediate difference.

Hey all! @dbarila got in touch over the weekend to let me know that I’m up next for the MM-6 tour. My system is currently not hooked up - I’m awaiting a couple of upgrade pieces, including some furniture, so in the meantime, I’d like to step aside to allow the next person to have their chance.

If it’s ok with all on the list, once I’m up and running and my ears have had some time with the updated system, I’ll re-enter the MM-6 tour so I can give it a proper evaluation.

Thanks gang! Spin on.

Hey all! @dbarila got in touch over the weekend to let me know that I’m up next for the MM-6 tour. My system is currently not hooked up - I’m awaiting a couple of upgrade pieces, including some furniture, so in the meantime, I’d like to step aside to allow the next person to have their chance.

If it’s ok with all on the list, once I’m up and running and my ears have had some time with the updated system, I’ll re-enter the MM-6 tour so I can give it a proper evaluation.

Thanks gang! Spin on.

You’re last on the list 😂

Back