Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts of the MM-6 vs. the MP-7 (I'm sure the 7 is somewhat better, but not sure if it's as cost effective as the 6, as I am on a budget). I do hear high end detail with my Lounge, but you feel the Lounge is restricted on the top end compared to others?

Last edited:
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts of the MM-6 vs. the MP-7 (I'm sure the 7 is somewhat better, but not sure if it's as cost effective as the 6, as I am on a budget). I do hear high end detail with my Lounge, but you feel the Lounge is restricted on the top end compared to others?
The Lounge is fine. The MM-6 is substantially better.

Quieter as far as noise/ hiss. This leads to increased low level retrieval.

Better bass, much due to a real power supply as opposed to a wall wart. The Darlington uses a step down transformer- looks like a wall wart but isn’t.

Better clarity.

I believe the high end is a bit more extended with the Darlington.

The Lounge is fine. The MM-6 is substantially better.

Quieter as far as noise/ hiss. This leads to increased low level retrieval.

Better bass, much due to a real power supply as opposed to a wall wart. The Darlington uses a step down transformer- looks like a wall wart but isn’t.

Better clarity.

I believe the high end is a bit more extended with the Darlington.
I hadn't planned on replacing my phonostage anytime soon, but that is the next component I would upgrade. Now you've got me thinking.... (though I'd rather spend $ on vinyl rather than equipment). ;)

Last edited:
Anthonyl did you get the 7? I'm curious. If we do sign-ups for the 7 I'm in. I was a tad late during my remodel to get into the 6 list although I'd probably get the 7 anyways should I go that route.

Dry wall dust can cause major anxiety.LOL

So just flicking through their website and well this sure as hell caught my attention in the future products! That’s a space I’ll most definitely be watching!

B) MP-8 Phono Preamp (MM/MI/HOMC or use with separate SUT or SU)

Over the next year, based on client interest, we’re beginning development of a much higher-priced (“Esoteric”) large-format phono preamp. We plan to use vacuum tubes, high-voltage J-FETs, regular J-FETs and high-performance BJTs combined together in a reliable, extremely high-sonic-performance, zero-feedback, hybrid configuration. Gain is envisoned around +38dB Unbalanced Out/+44dB Balanced Out.

It will be targeted at competitive units priced between $6K and $20K+, which typically perform at a large-subjective-review-magazine level of “A+”.

We envision dual-mono tube-controlled regulation; an enhanced MP-7 front end with its own high-voltage J-FET-controlled dual-mono regulation, and a tube-based second stage combining a differentially-driven balanced output. We have had requests for "dual mono" and "some tubes" and "balanced output".

Like the MP-7, it would be usable with our own SU-7, a true passive SUT, or a potential future large-format SU-8.

Anthonyl did you get the 7? I'm curious. If we do sign-ups for the 7 I'm in. I was a tad late during my remodel to get into the 6 list although I'd probably get the 7 anyways should I go that route.

At the present time we're not scheduling an MP-7 tour. We sent a demo to Anthony because he had extensive experience with a number of other competitive preamps in his system, and compared the MM-6 to these. He expressed interest in hearing the MP-7 in this same system and comparing it based on his years of experience and then, if he wishes, reporting back to this forum.

Any potential buyer who is interested in the MP-7 may have an 'effective 30-day in-house audition' by purchasing a unit from our website. We have a return rate that is very, very low.

Someone over at SH compared the MP7 ($600 give or take) to the Manley Chinook ($2700) and the Parasound JC-3 ($3000). The more expensive units lost in direct comparison.

@krichard2496 is supposed to be sending me an MP7 to check out at some point. I’m looking forward to it.
Your thoughts / comparison to the Sutherland's will be intrigueing!

@krichard2496 answered your question, but I'll keep everyone posted as to the arrival and process and put together an informative "review" of what I hear ;)

So just flicking through their website and well this sure as hell caught my attention in the future products! That’s a space I’ll most definitely be watching!

B) MP-8 Phono Preamp (MM/MI/HOMC or use with separate SUT or SU)

Over the next year, based on client interest, we’re beginning development of a much higher-priced (“Esoteric”) large-format phono preamp. We plan to use vacuum tubes, high-voltage J-FETs, regular J-FETs and high-performance BJTs combined together in a reliable, extremely high-sonic-performance, zero-feedback, hybrid configuration. Gain is envisoned around +38dB Unbalanced Out/+44dB Balanced Out.

It will be targeted at competitive units priced between $6K and $20K+, which typically perform at a large-subjective-review-magazine level of “A+”.

We envision dual-mono tube-controlled regulation; an enhanced MP-7 front end with its own high-voltage J-FET-controlled dual-mono regulation, and a tube-based second stage combining a differentially-driven balanced output. We have had requests for "dual mono" and "some tubes" and "balanced output".

Like the MP-7, it would be usable with our own SU-7, a true passive SUT, or a potential future large-format SU-8.
Very intriguing! Looks like they've got a lot in the dev pipeline to pay attention to. The MM-6 is still next on my list, but really excited to see what they are doing across the board.

Very intriguing! Looks like they've got a lot in the dev pipeline to pay attention to. The MM-6 is still next on my list, but really excited to see what they are doing across the board.

Yeah I’m really happy with my current phono so any upgrade would be to a tube based one and would likely not come cheap. That makes something like this from a company that seems to be making a name for themselves making great products that represent really good value for money so interesting. If it comes to fruitition and is in the right ballpark € wise I’d find the temptation hard to turn down, especially as I will be 40 in 2023 and will need to comfort buy my way out of that funk!

Last edited:
Yeah I’m really happy with my current phono any upgrade would be to a tube based one and likely would not come cheap. That makes something like this from a company that seems to be making a name for themselves making great products that represent really good value for money is so interesting. If it comes to fruitition and is in the right ballpark € wise I’d find the temptation hard to turn down, especially as I will be 40 in 2023 and will need to comfort buy my way out of that funk!
Well I can tell you this- a larger chassis and tubes done right will close more. But based upon current pricing, the price for the 8 will be awesome. If I were selling the MM-6 as “HiFi Guy Labs” it would cost more than $329.

Well I can tell you this- a larger chassis and tubes done right will close more. But based upon current pricing, the price for the 8 will be awesome. If I were selling the MM-6 as “HiFi Guy Labs” it would cost more than $329.

Oh yeah I expect it to cost lots more. The hope is it will be better and cost less than the other options that pique my interest right now!

Oh yeah I expect it to cost lots more. The hope is it will be better and cost less than the other options that pique my interest right now!
May we ask what is piquing your interest at a level above the $800 Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL that appears to be your current preamp?

To our knowledge, the MP-8 would be unique in the marketplace in being a unit targeting higher-output cartridges out of the box, thus allowing a user the chance to choose their own SUT or stand-alone active MC step-up gain stage. You have to go back about 40 years to the Audio Research SP-8 or the Conrad Johnson PV-5 for units with high-end pretensions and a similar take on the MC issue.

It seems like we are in a renaissance of very fine cartridges that put out 1.6mV or above these days...from traditional HOMCs to the Ortofon 2M Black/LVB-250 to Hana, Grado, and Soundsmith among others (or the great retipping options and high quality aftermarket stylii for older units). Our take is that a buyer should be able to focus their budget on these higher output carts and not spend money on LOMC capability if they don't need to.

May we ask what is piquing your interest at a level above the $800 Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL that appears to be your current preamp?

To our knowledge, the MP-8 would be unique in the marketplace in being a unit targeting higher-output cartridges out of the box, thus allowing a user the chance to choose their own SUT or stand-alone active MC step-up gain stage. You have to go back about 40 years to the Audio Research SP-8 or the Conrad Johnson PV-5 for units with high-end pretensions and a similar take on the MC issue.

It seems like we are in a renaissance of very fine cartridges that put out 1.6mV or above these days...from traditional HOMCs to the Ortofon 2M Black/LVB-250 to Hana and Grado among others. Our take is that a buyer should be able to focus their budget on these higher output carts and not waste money on LOMC capability if they don't need to.

The two I’ve been looking the most keenly right now at would be either the Chinook that @AnthonyI has or the Decware Phono stage along with a SUT. At this stage it’s still mostly reading and casting an eye on things. It will probably mid next year before it’d be a reality and I’d be getting serious about it but I have an idea that I’d like tubes next time.

The MP8 really does sound interesting and if it’s on the market by then I’ll be strongly considering it. I’d probably be looking for a SUT or one of your MC Step Up devices alongside it because im likely to keep using the Hana LOMC cartridges for the foreseeable, I’ve been very impressed with their SL so far.

The two I’ve been looking the most keenly right now at would be either the Chinook that @AnthonyI has or the Decware Phono stage along with a SUT. At this stage it’s still mostly reading and casting an eye on things. It will probably mid next year before it’d be a reality and I’d be getting serious about it but I have an idea that I’d like tubes next time.

The MP8 really does sound interesting and if it’s on the market by then I’ll be strongly considering it. I’d probably be looking for a SUT or one of your MC Step Up devices alongside it because im likely to keep using the Hana LOMC cartridges for the foreseeable, I’ve been very impressed with their SL so far.
Thank you.

We are particularly interested to hear user reports of cartridges where they are offered in a 4mV high output version and a 1mV low output version, otherwise being as similar as possible - Grado and Hana as examples. Sales stats from dealers would be interesting too. There are obviously many moving parts to a true comparison.

Back