Criterion Club

From the ones you haven’t seen Wild at Heart is my favorite. I’d youre a Nic Cage guy you’ll love it. It also has tons of Twin Peaks actors.

Lost Highway is also great but kind of feels like a dry run for MD
I never cared for Wild at Heart. Mulholland Drive is his masterpiece, IMO, with Blue Velvet not far behind.

I’m currently in the middle of watching The Love Witch, a deliciously campy throwback to the vampire flicks of the 70s with a feminist twist. I say I’m in the middle because I started it last night and I seem to not be able to stay awake (getting old sucks), but I am finishing it tonight.

I’m currently in the middle of watching The Love Witch, a deliciously campy throwback to the vampire flicks of the 70s with a feminist twist. I say I’m in the middle because I started it last night and I seem to not be able to stay awake (getting old sucks), but I am finishing it tonight.
Love that one. I'm planning on watching Viva too (although I don't really know anything about that one), since they just added both of them.

I've seen a handful of them, but they're promoting that "Cinematography by Kazuo Miyagawa" and I'm really hoping to check out more of them this week.

Not exactly the same, but I was recommended Tokyo Drifter last year and really got into a lot of movies in that new wave period. A lot of them I saw through criterion. Killers on Parade was my favorite, it's so goofy and fun.

View attachment 1168 View attachment 1169
You should watch House, if you haven’t already. IDK if it’s on the Criterion app yet, but it’s a ton of fun.

I bought the Blu Ray after I saw the film when Criterion had a channel on Hulu. So good!

They have a great overall selection of Japanese films from all the classics from Kurosawa and Ozu to weird stuff like House and my personal favorites Branded To Kill and Tokyo Drifter. I own a lot of the collection on DVD and BR, but I think I still need to sign up to the channel, it seems awesome.

Here are my latest Criterion acquisitions
View attachment 1419
Nice! I have Jabberwocky as well, but haven’t watched it, or even seen it yet. I bought it for Gilliam alone. And Antichrist? I haven’t decided where I stand with von Trier yet. I’ve seen a few of his films, and they truly are polarizing. The one I do love is Breaking the Waves. Great story telling, acting, just well done all around. Lately it seems like he’s more interested in shocking his audience than anything else.

Nice! I have Jabberwocky as well, but haven’t watched it, or even seen it yet. I bought it for Gilliam alone. And Antichrist? I haven’t decided where I stand with von Trier yet. I’ve seen a few of his films, and they truly are polarizing. The one I do love is Breaking the Waves. Great story telling, acting, just well done all around. Lately it seems like he’s more interested in shocking his audience than anything else.
Fair critique of von trier. Antichrist is definitely shocking/disturbing; I think ultimately I found it compelling but I can't imagine ever re-watching it.

I will take any/all recs given in this thread. We subscribed but have only watched Multiple Maniacs so far. When I get home in less than 2 weeks, I’m hoping to watch the channel a lot.

I haven’t seen MD in forever so that will be first watch.

I will take any/all recs given in this thread. We subscribed but have only watched Multiple Maniacs so far. When I get home in less than 2 weeks, I’m hoping to watch the channel a lot.

I haven’t seen MD in forever so that will be first watch.
I watched Kurosawa’s “High and Low” on the channel and it blew me away.

double feature Jacques Demy’s “Umbrellas of Cherbourg” and “Young Girls of Rochefort” if you want some French technicolor musical goodness.

I watched Kurosawa’s “High and Low” on the channel and it blew me away.

double feature Jacques Demy’s “Umbrellas of Cherbourg” and “Young Girls of Rochefort” if you want some French technicolor musical goodness.
Right before the channel went live, they did a double feature of Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Last Hurrah for Chivalry. Both are so good.

Right before the channel went live, they did a double feature of Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Last Hurrah for Chivalry. Both are so good.
the double feature is still up and I’ve been meaning to watch Last Hurrah for Chivalry.
I really really need to watch Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

it’s such a weird and delightful and somber film.

I have a large handful of Criterion DVD's, but have only picked up a few Blu Rays here and there since I changed over to the format...mostly the more well known titles.

Back