Criterion Club

I have a handful of Criterion dvds (Fire Walk With Me, Mulholland Drive, Don’t Look Back, Frances Ha, Pan’s Labyrinth, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Tree of a Life, more...), but I have been debating moving into the channel subscription. Do they have everything? Will upcoming new releases be put on when they’re released? There’s a lot I’d love to take a chance on, and it’d be nice to do that without buying a dvd or blu ray.

I have a handful of Criterion dvds (Fire Walk With Me, Mulholland Drive, Don’t Look Back, Frances Ha, Pan’s Labyrinth, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Tree of a Life, more...), but I have been debating moving into the channel subscription. Do they have everything? Will upcoming new releases be put on when they’re released? There’s a lot I’d love to take a chance on, and it’d be nice to do that without buying a dvd or blu ray.
They don’t have every Criterion title but they have a lot. And they have titles from outside Criterion, as well. More than anything, I’ve been a huge fan of the way they curate it all. They have a ton of “collections,” like Double Features, Short+Feature, (Artist’s) Adventures in Moviegoing and a ton of other collections with interviews of the people involved or people who really care about film/filmmaking.

They don’t have every Criterion title but they have a lot. And they have titles from outside Criterion, as well. More than anything, I’ve been a huge fan of the way they curate it all. They have a ton of “collections,” like Double Features, Short+Feature, (Artist’s) Adventures in Moviegoing and a ton of other collections with interviews of the people involved or people who really care about film/filmmaking.
what Dash said... if you dig the whole oeuvre of the Criterion Collection, then subscribing to to streaming channel is well worth the money

what Dash said... if you dig the whole oeuvre of the Criterion Collection, then subscribing to to streaming channel is well worth the money
Sounds nice. I think I’ll try and find a free trial and see how much I use it. Gonna Check it out tonight

My people! (How did we not have a dedicated Criterion thread prior to this?)

Haven't dove too much into the Criterion Channel subscription just yet, but watching Karel Zeman's "The Fabulous Baron Munchausen" in the lead-up was a real experience. My first experience with Zeman, and you could certainly tell the immense impact he had on Terry Gilliam.

I thought this channel went away, I guess it was something similar

also, I really want The Philadelphia Story, it is one of my favorite movies of all time and this is pretty much the first blu-ray release

I thought this channel went away, I guess it was something similar

also, I really want The Philadelphia Story, it is one of my favorite movies of all time and this is pretty much the first blu-ray release
All the Criterion stuff used to be on Filmstruck. That went away last year.

All the Criterion stuff used to be on Filmstruck. That went away last year.
giphy.gif

still not over it

Mulholland Drive is my favorite Lynch film. I watched Blow-Up for the first time about a year ago on FilmStruck, and purchased it with the next Barnes and Noble 50% off sale. I need to re-watch.
I love Blow-Up and just got it too, will re-watch soon. I also love Blow Out and recently watched it along with Sisters for a De Palma double feature. I didn't remember Sisters was so creepy and twisted. Didn't love Margot Kidder's attempt at a French Canadian accent, but the opening credits are amazing.

I love Blow-Up and just got it too, will re-watch soon. I also love Blow Out and recently watched it along with Sisters for a De Palma double feature. I didn't remember Sisters was so creepy and twisted. Didn't love Margot Kidder's attempt at a French Canadian accent, but the opening credits are amazing.
Agreed, that’s the main flaw with the film, her dumb accent. I wish they’d release The Fury, a truly overlooked gem in the DePalma canon.

Agreed, that’s the main flaw with the film, her dumb accent. I wish they’d release The Fury, a truly overlooked gem in the DePalma canon.
How have I not seen this yet? It stars Kirk Douglas and John Cassavetes!...oh! and the poster is killer!

Back