Criterion Club

Watched Persona last night, and the only Bergman movie I’ve seen is seventh seal back in college. We enjoyed it but we really jumped into the deep end there.
I don't think there's really any light and breezy Bergman...maybe The Magic Flute...that's the only one that comes to mind. Just go full on and follow it with Autumn Sonata or Cries & Whispers!

I don't think there's really any light and breezy Bergman...maybe The Magic Flute...that's the only one that comes to mind. Just go full on and follow it with Autumn Sonata or Cries & Whispers!

Smiles of a Summer Night is a light and fluffy Bergman film. Oddly enough, its the film that starts the prescribed order of the box set.

A Lesson in Love is a Bergman comedy, as well, but it was more of a dark farce than a lighthearted romp, imo.

Smiles of a Summer Night is a light and fluffy Bergman film. Oddly enough, its the film that starts the prescribed order of the box set.

A Lesson in Love is a Bergman comedy, as well, but it was more of a dark farce than a lighthearted romp, imo.
I forgot about Smiles...I haven't seen A Lesson in Love, would you recommend?

Blue Velvet blu ray (haven’t watched yet).

EDE08D6E-2480-4CB7-84AB-5DF2C98B0E3F.jpeg

The packaging is pretty minimalist, but I like it. The booklet on the other hand features an excerpt from last year’s Lynch biography/autobiography Room To Dream, which I’ve already read so that’s a bit disappointing.

Watched Persona last night, and the only Bergman movie I’ve seen is seventh seal back in college. We enjoyed it but we really jumped into the deep end there.
you've gotta watch Fanny & Alexander. It's a long film. Theatrical cut is just over 3 hours, the TV series (basically an extended cut) clocks in near five but it's such a tender, frightening, wonderful experience. It's one of the great works about childhood.

Founding member of the Criterion Channel. Still waiting on my special deluxe card thingamabob.
The sign-up list for the cards doesn't close until June 15th, so I wouldn't expect to see them until sometime after that, since they allow you to change your info any time up til that date.

you've gotta watch Fanny & Alexander. It's a long film. Theatrical cut is just over 3 hours, the TV series (basically an extended cut) clocks in near five but it's such a tender, frightening, wonderful experience. It's one of the great works about childhood.
Which is preferable

Which is preferable
Both have their positive attributes. Probably go with the series since I suppose it pre-dates the era of "Prestige TV" by a decade and it's the common way that we take in programming now.

I think I prefer the movie overall, though.

Both have their positive attributes. Probably go with the series since I suppose it pre-dates the era of "Prestige TV" by a decade and it's the common way that we take in programming now.

I think I prefer the movie overall, though.
TBH a 5 part mini series is much preferable to a 3 hour movie.

TBH a 5 part mini series is much preferable to a 3 hour movie.
The series is equally exceptional. You really can't go wrong. The series is basically a longer version of the movie. Extended scene, characters fleshed out. F&A follows a tumultuous year in the lives of two kids. The movie feels like a whirlwind. The show feels more like you're experiencing time with these kids.

The series is equally exceptional. You really can't go wrong. The series is basically a longer version of the movie. Extended scene, characters fleshed out. F&A follows a tumultuous year in the lives of two kids. The movie feels like a whirlwind. The show feels more like you're experiencing time with these kids.
The running time has always been a big mental hurdle on this one (and a few others by Bergman). Since buying CC's is one of two consumer vices I have (the other should be self explanatory based on the forum I'm posting this), I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on their streaming service. Can you actually stream the TV version of Fanny? In general how do you like the service, and do you think it would be worth it to someone that owns roughly 25% of their releases?
I think Smiles is a hugely underrated Bergman film that doesn't get enough love because it feels like minor Bergman. That and Summer Interlude. Both classics in my mind that get buried when discussing his filmography with most.

The running time has always been a big mental hurdle on this one (and a few others by Bergman). Since buying CC's is one of two consumer vices I have (the other should be self explanatory based on the forum I'm posting this), I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on their streaming service. Can you actually stream the TV version of Fanny? In general how do you like the service, and do you think it would be worth it to someone that owns roughly 25% of their releases?
I think Smiles is a hugely underrated Bergman film that doesn't get enough love because it feels like minor Bergman. That and Summer Interlude. Both classics in my mind that get buried when discussing his filmography with most.
The whole series is online via the Criterion Channel.

I believe the same can be said of Scenes from a Marriage.

At $89.99, I'm getting a robust Janus library and saving money during Criterion sales so I can pick up stuff licenses from, say, Warners or Universal that wouldn't live as long on the app due to contractual limitations. The streaming quality is uniformly excellent. I believe it's all built on Vimeo's streaming services. The app itself is clean but unremarkable. Not a huge fan of the UI.

Back