Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

if we say that acts like bob dylan, neil young, joni mitchell, etc. don't fall under this banner (even tho they kinda sorta do), what would be yr top 10 country / alt.country / roots / americana albums of all-time?

another arbitrary rule i will make for myself - wilco don't count after being there

1. ryan adams - heartbreaker
  2. gram parsons - return of the grievous angel
  3. whiskeytown - stranger's almanac
  4. the band - music from big pink
  5. gillian welch - time (the revelator)
  6. uncle tupelo - no depression
  7. the byrds - sweetheart of the rodeo
  8. lucinda williams - car wheels on a gravel road
  9. gillian welch - the harrow and the harvest
  10. wilco - being there
are ten that immediately spring to mind, but i'm very confident i'm forgetting some faves

if we say that acts like bob dylan, neil young, joni mitchell, etc. don't fall under this banner (even tho they kinda sorta do), what would be yr top 10 country / alt.country / roots / americana albums of all-time?

another arbitrary rule i will make for myself - wilco don't count after being there

10. wilco - being there
are ten that immediately spring to mind, but i'm very confident i'm forgetting some faves

They’re more recent but I’d be hard to name ten albums better than Metamodern Sounds in Country Music and Southeastern

Going back to the first page and requests for bands that sound like the Drive By Truckers, I'd recommend looking up Slobberbone. They were in the same circles as DBT in the mid-2000s, although I'm not sure what Brent Best is up to these days. Last time I saw them was playing as the Drams (Jubilee Dive being their only album, and it's a good one) in front of a really small crowd. Pity as they had a great sound.

10. wilco - being there
Top 10 currently (In No Particular Order)
Willie Nelson - Redheaded Stranger
Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie
Merle Haggard - Back To The Barrooms Again
Waylon Jennings - Honky Toni Heroes
Tanya Tucker - Delta Dawn
Emmylou Harris - Elite Hotel
Dwight Yoakam - Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc.
Lyle Lovett - Pontiac
Steve Earle - Guitar Town
Buck Owens - I’ve Got A Tiger By The Tail

Unfortunately, Matt Heckler doesn’t have any records available (though you can do what I did and download is latest from his Bandcamp for a mere $15). “After The Flood” is quite good.

Just went down a YouTube rabbit hole with this guy... His voice is... weird... but holy crap is he talented... Like, woah.

I'm really enjoying this new Ian Noe album today and looking forward to diving into the rest of these suggestions.

Thanks, team!
Seconded! I pre-ordered the “Between the Country” via Amazon based off the recommendation. I got an email today saying it should be delivered June 10th.

Not new but this is still one of my favorite albums in the last few years. Not a bad song on this record. Got this record in the great Rough Trade 2018 sale for next to nothing and I would have paid full price for this album.

Last edited:
PRE-SALE John Prine "The Living Room Sessions" Limited Edition 7" Vinyl

In May of 2019, John invited a few of his friends to his living room to help record 2 intimate versions of classic JP songs. The purpose of the
sessions was to raise money for the American Civil Liberties Union*.

Side A "Unwed Fathers" John Prine & Margo Price, accompanied by Jeremy Ivey & Kenneth Pattengale (of The Milk Carton Kids)

Side B "People Puttin' People Down" John Prine & Jason Isbell

Digital Download is included with purchase and will be emailed to you shortly after completing your order.

Expected ship date for vinyl is August 26th 2019.

*Oh Boy will donate at least $8 from every vinyl sale to the ACLU

Back