Country / Alt-Country / Roots / Americana

I haven’t seen much regarding Dee White’s debut “Southern Gentleman” and it’s a shame since it’s a heck of an album.

Dee is from around near where I live. Saw him open for Ashley McBryde last year and he played the bulk of Southern Gentleman then. it seems like it took a while after that for the LP to come out, releasing in March. I didn't see much pub from Warners other than the usual (RS article, vids) when released, but very little PR otherwise. I think Warner's Country arm has some great acts signed, but their publicity machine needs some work. They also don't seem to participate in partnerships with clubs like Magnolia or VMP sadly for colored vinyl exclusives nor does Warners do much of their own. This album has great material, Dee's voice is solid and Dan Auerbach produced so it should get more attention.

Really like this loose version of Old 97's 'Good With God' from Rhett Miller and Nikki Lane. Brandi Carlile performs on the album version, and that one is also great. They put a lot of vocal effects on Brandi's part though.

DAMN! That was straight fire. Rhett and the Old 97's are a treasure. They've been making great records for a long damn time.

Going back to the first page and requests for bands that sound like the Drive By Truckers, I'd recommend looking up Slobberbone. They were in the same circles as DBT in the mid-2000s, although I'm not sure what Brent Best is up to these days. Last time I saw them was playing as the Drams (Jubilee Dive being their only album, and it's a good one) in front of a really small crowd. Pity as they had a great sound.
Slobberbone is a great band. The band of my college radio days. I saw them a couple of years ago in Little Rock, they could still bring it. Long live the mighty Slobberbone.

I need to shout out the name John Moreland on this tread. If you've never listened to need to. Start with the album In The Throes. The guy is a wonderful songwriter that hits you every time. The ghost of Townes Van Zandt is in these songs.

I saw Sarah Shook and the Disarmers live again yesterday and I was again impressed by what a tight band they are. If you have not checked out "Sidelong" and "Years" on Bloodshot, I encourage you do so, it's some of the best honky tonk with punk attitude you will hear.

Oh yeah, and she combined honky tonk and skateboards, two of my faves, in this video:

Not sure he's ever been mentioned on here, but Cory Branan doesn't make bad albums.

I've listened to Cory Branan before but not a lot, so thanks for reminding me. I just had on Mutt and really enjoyed it.

But then I went down a rabbit hole trying to figure out who his voice reminds me of... still not solved, but maybe The Wooden Sky. Did any of you ever listen to them (Canadian Americana)? I got into their album If I don't come home, you'll know I'm gone, several years ago but haven't really paid attention to their more recent output.

Unfortunately, that album doesn't seem to be on the streaming services.

Back