Comics Corner

Yeah Hickmans FF was one of the runs that got me back into comics in early high school, after the obligatory "I'm too cool for that" phase. Great stuff; Hickman can do no wrong.
I'm jealous of that Absolute Long Halloween. I sold my Loeb/Sale omnibus after realizing I didn't need all the prequel and sequel fluff, and only really cared about The Long Halloween itself; of course right as I did that it became very hard to find. I might just concede and get the deluxe hardcover.
Epic collection. I loved that Hickman FF run too. Don’t have the Omni unfortunately but these work in a pinch…
IMG_9850.jpeg

I've been meaning to read the Hickman FF run... this has been a good reminder. I'll probably make that my January library project now that I'm pretty much caught up on post-Rebirth Batman (I didn't like Tom King's run and gave up two volumes in!)

I've been meaning to read the Hickman FF run... this has been a good reminder. I'll probably make that my January library project now that I'm pretty much caught up on post-Rebirth Batman (I didn't like Tom King's run and gave up two volumes in!)
Yeah, Snyder’s Batman run was fantastic and King’s Mister Miracle and Vision were two of my all time favorites so I had high hopes but it didn’t do much for me either unfortunately.

Yeah, Snyder’s Batman run was fantastic and King’s Mister Miracle and Vision were two of my all time favorites so I had high hopes but it didn’t do much for me either unfortunately.

Exactly! Both of those were incredible!
Snyder was a tough act to follow, for sure, but I don't think I would've liked what I read of King's run even after somebody else. Tynion's Detective then Batman run, on the other hand was fantastic!

Exactly! Both of those were incredible!
Snyder was a tough act to follow, for sure, but I don't think I would've liked what I read of King's run even after somebody else. Tynion's Detective then Batman run, on the other hand was fantastic!
Speaking of underrated Batman runs I just ordered this one…
IMG_9875.jpeg
This same team did a nice run on The New 52 Flash as well. Incredible artwork.

I'm pretty down on modern Batman, Snyders run loses me after Endgame, and I havent really loved anything that's come after that. It feels like every modern Batman writer wants to write their own story about a villain taking over Gotham, and it really comes with diminishing returns. We had Zero Year, Endgame, City of Bane, Joker War and Fear State all in relatively quick succession....like why would people tolerate living in the city at that point? That's just one gripe I have with modern Batman and it's emblematic of the greater issues, I feel.

I liked the start of Tom Kings run, but the ending is such an absolute crash landing you're far better off not getting invested. How much of it was Kings original plan, and how much was editorial interference we'll never really know....

Currently finishing up my semi annual re-read of Grant Morrisons run. It's my favorite Batman run and one of my favorite runs of all time; it encapsulates everything I love about the title and the book while being a completely unique, insane take on the character. Grant Morrison understands Batman like no one else.

Last edited:
Where is the best spot to find cheap X-men copies from the 90s for a 7 and 9 year old to read? Are we talking eBay, Half Priced Books?
We talkin random single issues? Your local comic book store will have them flooding the dollar bin.

If you’re at all interested in full storylines, your best bet is either reading digitally on Marvel unlimited or getting cheap trades from somewhere like Half Priced Books.

We talkin random single issues? Your local comic book store will have them flooding the dollar bin.

If you’re at all interested in full storylines, your best bet is either reading digitally on Marvel unlimited or getting cheap trades from somewhere like Half Priced Books.
Would be nice to get a storyline or partial storylines. Ill check my local Half Priced Books and see what the comic shops may have in town. My kids would probably enjoy looking around in person as well

Would be nice to get a storyline or partial storylines. Ill check my local Half Priced Books and see what the comic shops may have in town. My kids would probably enjoy looking around in person as well
If you’re willing to spend a bit more for a good quality trade, that at the same time is super readable and kid friendly, I’d look at the X-Men line of Marvels Epic Collections.

Just looking on Amazon to see the ones that are currently in print, you have some amazing storylines. I see Second Genesis, Dark Phoenix, The Brood saga, and for 90’s fare there’s Legacies, and then Fatal Attractions coming in April.

I will say some of that 90’s material might be more teen oriented, while the late 70’s/early 80’s stuff is mostly lighter fare.

But regardless, definitely take them to a comic book store and let them rummage through the bins; I have some amazing memories of doing that around that age.

Last edited:
If you’re willing to spend a bit more for a good quality trade, that at the same time is super readable and kid friendly, I’d look at the X-Men line of Marvels Epic Collections.

Just looking on Amazon to see the ones that are currently in print, you have some amazing storylines. I see Second Genesis, Dark Phoenix, The Brood saga, and for 90’s fare there’s Legacies, and then Fatal Attractions coming in April.

I will say some of that 90’s material might be more teen oriented, while the late 70’s/early 80’s stuff is mostly lighter fare.

But regardless, definitely take them to a comic book store and let them rummage through the bins; I have some amazing memories of doing that around that age.
Hell yeah, thanks for the tips. I'll dig into your recommendations.

just a head's-up that free comic book day is may 4 this year ("may the 4th be with you" day), in case you make going to a comic shop a semi-regular thing, that's def a great day to go w/ kids

Back