Comics Corner

We lost Keith Giffen today. These past few years have been brutal to comics; we've lost so many legends. At least it seems that Keith was able to keep up his exuberant sense of humor up until the very end. I was always very fond of his work.

He was the co-creator of Rocket Racoon, Lobo and Blue Beetle III(Jaime Reyes) and penned acclaimed runs at DC writing books like Justice League International and Legion of Super-Heroes. He will be missed.

Damn, that's sad news for sure. I loved Keith's work.

I always enjoyed James Tynion IV's work on Batman stuff, but never dug deeper until recently. I reckon I'm ready to put him up in the top tier of writers at this point. His superhero stuff is solid, his juvenile stuff is absolutely delightful (so far I've checked out The Backstagers and the first book of  Wynd), and his thriller/horror stuff is absolutely phenomenal! I've already mentioned Nightmare Country and Dept. of Truth in previous posts, and have finally gotten started on Something is Killing the Children... g'damn I love this stuff! Top notch.

If anyone here is a fan of Robert Kirkman's Outcast series, I highly recommend watching When Evil Lurks—a similarly oppressive tale of demonic possessions.

Happy 35th Birthday to one of the absolute greatest of all time!

View attachment 189080

A note from Neil...
We never know where our dreams will take us. Thirty-five years ago today, the first issue of The Sandman was released and set many people and characters on paths that seemed, even at the time, so unlikely as to be impossible. Back then most comics featured superheroes. Sandman wasn't that. It wasn't like anything else, but magically (the magic consisting of hard work, youthful overconfidence, and some key people who believed in the vision) we were given the opportunity to tell the story I had in my head and bring Morpheus and the rest of the Endless to life.

A little over 36 years ago, in October 1987, the worst storm in at least 500 years left my house without power and my family trapped in our little village by fallen trees, and I spent my time writing an outline for the first eight issues of Sandman.

Like those who walk a path in Destiny's garden, I look back and see one clear path stretching behind me. At times on this journey the way forward seemed impossible, and I don't think I could have conceived of the impact that these characters would have on individuals or on the world. When I look at the path ahead, though, I don't see darkness. I see how the world of The Sandman continues to grow and evolve and take new forms.

This week we officially restart production on the next sequence of stories of The Sandman for Netflix. Genius showrunner Allan Heinberg and the countless people in front of and behind the camera are building something endlessly special, and bringing these stories to life in a way that would once have been unimaginable.

A journey is beginning that will take us from Destiny's garden to Hell, from the Heart of the Dreaming to Ancient Greece and revolutionary France, and from there to places even I cannot quite imagine on the screen. I will be patient. Good things are coming.

@yukbon that’s about a quarter of the fancy stuff and a tenth? Of the collection overall. I have three or four single issues these days, mostly music oriented stuff that my brother has gifted me. He still sells comics for a living.

How often do you run into that Tolkien book? I feel like I would fuck that all up.
A the shelf under it is worse, but currently all of that is barricaded:
IMG_4588.jpeg
And now that I take that picture, clearly MY ENGLSIH MAJOR wife has been fucking with those shelves. The Tolkien you mentioned shouldn’t be there at all.

That is an amazing collection, btw.
thanks! Yeah I accumulated quite a bit during the 11 years or so I worked for a local comic book store chain.

There are a couple of shelves in a book case around the corner, two 4 x 2s in my wife’s office and a few boxes in various closets as well. Plus a whole lot of prints somewhere.

@avecigrec sitting on the couch snuggling with the two year old while we watch some animated Christmas thing, gave me a chance to snap this photo of shelves I wanted to show off:
View attachment 189357

View attachment 189359
And now that I take that picture, clearly MY ENGLSIH MAJOR wife has been fucking with those shelves. The Tolkien you mentioned shouldn’t be there at all.

It's BEAUTIFUL

View attachment 189359
Major need cred for the first printing of Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol 1, Marvels very first omnibus…

Great collection. Now that I think of it, I don’t think I’ve posted photos of mine on here, I should get to that. Less photogenic as I’m more of a completionist collector.

IMG_2646.jpgIMG_2648.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2651.jpgIMG_2652.jpgIMG_2653.jpgIMG_2654.jpgIMG_2655.jpgIMG_2658.jpgIMG_2659.jpg

That's most of it. Slowly coming up on collecting the core Post Crisis Batman titles (Detective, Batman, all crossover issues and any important canon miniseries) from Year One through Scott Synder, and most X-Men up into the 00's.

I also got a good deal of stuff in my storage unit (aka my parents house), including most of Fantastic Four up through Hickman, and all the Avengers epic collections, which I've been picking up as they come out these past several years (Avengers and FF being the two I buy religiously). Also a lot more random Green Lantern trades and singles, which DC looks like they wont ever reprint (Thanks Gerard Jones.....).

Last edited:
View attachment 189398View attachment 189399View attachment 189399View attachment 189400View attachment 189401View attachment 189402
View attachment 189403View attachment 189404View attachment 189395View attachment 189396View attachment 189397

That's most of it. Slowly coming up on collecting the core Post Crisis Batman titles (Detective, Batman, all crossover issues and any important canon miniseries) from Year One through Scott Synder, and most X-Men up into the 00's.

I also got a good deal of stuff in my storage unit (aka my parents house), including most of Fantastic Four up through Hickman, and all the Avengers epic collections, which I've been picking up as they come out these past several years (Avengers and FF being the two I buy religiously). Also a lot more random Green Lantern trades and singles, which DC looks like they wont ever reprint (Thanks Gerard Jones.....).
Very jealous of your Batman collection. Those Hickman FF omnis are cool. I love that run.

Very jealous of your Batman collection. Those Hickman FF omnis are cool. I love that run.
Yeah Hickmans FF was one of the runs that got me back into comics in early high school, after the obligatory "I'm too cool for that" phase. Great stuff; Hickman can do no wrong.
I'm jealous of that Absolute Long Halloween. I sold my Loeb/Sale omnibus after realizing I didn't need all the prequel and sequel fluff, and only really cared about The Long Halloween itself; of course right as I did that it became very hard to find. I might just concede and get the deluxe hardcover.

Back