Christian Music, Anyone?

It has more of an American roots/gospel flavor to much of the album... pedal steel... mandolin... Ashley Cleveland vocals... *chef's kiss*
Sounds interesting. The thing I liked most about Good Monsters was the guitars and the rock feel. But I'm also not opposed to some mandolin!

My dad knows I collect vinyl and he is huge into Christian music. He got me Crowder's American Prodigal and Jordan Feliz' The River. I wasn't overly enthralled with either album. I was into DC Talk, Stryper, Amy Grant, and Michael W. Smith as a kid/teen growing up in a hugely religious household. I was curious how Stryper's latest, Goddamn Evil, went over.

I recently started listening to a Podcast called Good Christian Fun where they discuss with a guest Christian Media which of course means music is regularly discussed. I would def suggest giving them a listen even if you, like me, don't identify as "Christian" https://www.goodchristianfun.com/about-us
That's a fun podcast. They send up the more ridiculous aspects of Christian culture and the youth group culture a lot of us grew up in, but with an affection that I think works for believers and non.

My first ever concert was Petra. Ouch. Can't say I was ever a fan, I just went for the "Joy Celebration" at our local amusement park with my middle school youth group.

I did put on Christian hardcore shows and such when I was in college. What a weird thing. But fun.

I used to listen to a lot of metalcore when I was younger and I remember being surprised at how many of those bands were labeled as "christian" bands. August Burns Red is about the only metalcore band I can still enjoy though. I don't remember many people around me talking about them as christian bands back then, people were only enjoying the music.

Zao, UnderOath, The Devil Wears Prada, Life Once Lost, Demon Hunter were all on my playlist at some point. But I know many of those bands tried to move away from the christian label in recent years. And As I Lay Dying, but I don't think you can call them christian anymore.

Sad I missed out on the Further Seems Forever talk. How to Start a Fire was definitely my favourite, but I only liked the first two. My first ever show was them opening for The Ataris and The Juliana Theory in 2003.
Same on the first seeing was that same tour.

Jon Bunch is a great lyricist and I think hide nothing is underrated but to each their own. Penny Black is good but not their strongest , also entirely too short.

Where would one start with Jars of Clay? I remember really liking “Flood" when it was a big single but never listened to much else.
I would for sure listen to self titled in its entirety, it was one of those this is big for the time it came out in. Also there is a hidden track that jams, 90s!!

Much afraid - I’d check out the songs overjoyed, fade to grey , crazy times , frail

If I left the zoo is worth checking out in its entirety but the first half is the stronger half

Who we are instead is worth checking out and I believe has an America cover song

GOOD MONSTERS check it out in entirety.

Inland is worth checking out in its entirety and may be the latest / the least people are familiar with but may be one of their best.

The others I only have limited knowledge of and I doubt you’re wanting to do a super deep dive. If casual dive I’d say self titled , monster , Inland

Zoo , who we are instead for a deeper dive

I would for sure listen to self titled in its entirety, it was one of those this is big for the time it came out in. Also there is a hidden track that jams, 90s!!

Much afraid - I’d check out the songs overjoyed, fade to grey , crazy times , frail

If I left the zoo is worth checking out in its entirety but the first half is the stronger half

Who we are instead is worth checking out and I believe has an America cover song

GOOD MONSTERS check it out in entirety.

Inland is worth checking out in its entirety and may be the latest / the least people are familiar with but may be one of their best.

The others I only have limited knowledge of and I doubt you’re wanting to do a super deep dive. If casual dive I’d say self titled , monster , Inland

Zoo , who we are instead for a deeper dive
You're suggestions aligned with some others that I checked out and liked. Especially Good Monsters. Wasn't very fond of the s/t though.

You're suggestions aligned with some others that I checked out and liked. Especially Good Monsters. Wasn't very fond of the s/t though.
It may only have stable legs due to nostalgic reasons but more understanding of it in context to the time. It’s worth listening all the way through to see the progression they’ve made.

Bonus vid:

2006 fashion !

Back