Christian Music, Anyone?

Renée

I think we need a thread to discuss Christian music. Gospel or contemporary, Sunday morning hymns or radio rock, here's the thread for it.

Personally, I listen to a lot of Christian rock/metal bands, plus some hip hop and worship.

Last edited:
I really dig a lot of the Christian hardcore scene bands. While not really current on the contemporary scene, I have a great fondness for the worship songs that come out of the Vineyard churches as I attended one for a good long while.

Jars of Clay's self titled is one of the best albums out of the 90's, Christian or non. Fight me.

Most contemporary Christian music is derivative, it's hard not to reuse a lot of themes, but every now and then a gem pops out.

People hate on Stryper, but they were a much better band then people gave them credit for. East Wests "The Light in Guinevere's Garden" was one of my favourite albums growing up and I feel like they were underrated.

Jars of Clay's self titled is one of the best albums out of the 90's, Christian or non. Fight me.

Most contemporary Christian music is derivative, it's hard not to reuse a lot of themes, but every now and then a gem pops out.

People hate on Stryper, but they were a much better band then people gave them credit for. East Wests "The Light in Guinevere's Garden" was one of my favourite albums growing up and I feel like they were underrated.

I can agree on all 3 points here. Rend Collective is easily my favorite band with the "worship" branding on them in contemporary Christian music. Them and Bellarive, but Bellarive broke up sadly.

Not sure why people have problems with Stryper. Probably because they're lumped in with the 80s glam metal scene.

On a somewhat similar tip, two of my favourite DJs (Dr Format and DMC Champ Mr Thing) have done a couple of mixes sampling this type of thing (though expect some Monty Python samples and the like, so hardly reverential).

'Holy Shit' is a mix of religious breaks, beats & music discovered mostly in charity shops and bargain bins of record shops over a number of years. I had been planning to do a mix of some of my weird & wonderful religious records for years and when i got chatting with Mr Thing about a new exciting discovery i had just made in a Leeds charity shop, it turned out he too had recently discovered the same religious LP!
We decided to team up and do a mix together and Holy Shit was the result.

Although some of the music is top quality and was cut up in a B-boy style,the mix was definitely supposed to be fun..hence the Monty Python bits! It was released as a CD in 2009(?) and is now available for free download for the first time.

The term 'Religious Record' could mean a religious artist on a religious record label that had an unusually funky moment or it could mean a regular artist or group (not usually associated with the religious genre) that do a cover version of a song about God or Jesus i.e. 'Put Your Hand In The Hand' is a religious song covered by many different artists and quite often has a nice open drum break at the start of the song.

Ps..There's a 1 minute silence at the end of the mix before a secret bonus track comes in at the end. This was deliberately done on the original CD for fun..rather than it being a manufacturing fault like some people (idiots who returned the CD as faulty!) seemed to think.

(Holy Shit! Pt. 1)
(Holy Shit! Pt. 2)

I really like The Shelter by Jars of Clay.

John Mark McMillan
The David Crowder* Band
I really like Good Monsters by Jars of Clay
U2 is very much a Christian band even if it is not in name (if you don't know Bono and The Edge almost quit the band because the Christian group they were attending said RnR isn't Christian, they decided they could do both)

I grew up in So Cal, went to a LOT of Christian concerts in the 80’s and 90’s, including Vengeance, Undercover, The Choir, and other metal/alternative bands. My buddy David was Michael Knott’s manager (of Lifesavers Underground) when they formed Aunt Bettys and got signed to Elektra, so we got to spend time at The Green Room, Gene Eugene’s (RIP) studio. P.O.D.s manager at the time Noah used to try and get David to write about them (he was a Christian music writer before managing), and man he was annoying, but it get us time in their studio during mixing (I was never a fan, lol). Hung out with The Crucified, and their singer was a real asshole, but damn they had two great albums and put on fantastic live shows.

Those were some good times, and I still go back to some of the albums. Namely The Choir - their output from Chase the Kangaroo to Circle Slide was some of the best alt music of the time, and holds up today.

I had mentioned it before but my uncle is Jerry Chamberlain, who spent the 70's-90's in various Christian bands like Daniel Amos and Swirling Eddies. I used to go see them live when I was 2 or 3 and I could still sing along to all of their songs.
I LOVE Let’s Spin!!! Catch That Angel, Ed Takes a Vacation and Big Guns are some great songs.

Yes! I am a fan of some Christian music. I find that many the Christian labels (Hillsong and Bethel as a examples) put very little effort into their vinyl releases. The mix sounds identical to the streaming versions of albums I have purchased from them.

However, some of the reissues getting put out of older albums are great! Check out SMLXL Vinyl. I have a few records from them (Switchfoot Dare you to move, some Relient K, among others) and they sound pretty great!

I actually work in marketing for a Christian organization so when I am listening to my turntable with headphones on at my desk, I always keep that Switchfoot record sleeve close by to cover up in case I am listening to something offensive. haha

lol, I met Mark a couple of times and he seemed like a nice dude. This was later on, though. The Crucified seemed like a rough period.
Idk, I knew him around the time The Pillars of Humanity came out, and maybe he was under a lot of stress. I know he was not happy with the artwork. Tim Minier was a super cool guy though.

I'm actually just getting more into Christian stuff because the praise band I'm in grew and we're playing more of that stuff. Obviously I know all the Hillsongs, Bethel, Elevation etc. I also like what I've heard from Ellie Limebear. Always looking for more suggestions.

Back