Ch Ch Ch Changes! - David Bowie Talk

I agree with a couple of caveats. The 80s after Lets Dance we’re not a great period for him. The phase from Hunky Dory to Let’s Dance is so strong that it’s going to dominate all the same because even though he did great things later, few were that great!
I read that David Bowie even admitted that he felt like he got "stuck" after releasing "Let's Dance" after it's huge commercial success.

Your top four albums are David Bowie's most critically acclaimed albums I'd say, just by looking at Wikipedia and rateyourmusic.

I knew "Blackstar" was going to rank high as well! I just knew it!!! Absolutely incredible how Bowie made that album 45 years after "Hunky Dory", your second favourite Bowie album. Just mind-blowing!!!

I think the key with Bowie was that he kept changing and kept himself relevant. Whilst that meant that he took the occasional misstep it meant that he could also release as fresh an album as Blackstar at such a late stage in his career.

I read that David Bowie even admitted that he felt like he got "stuck" after releasing "Let's Dance" after it's huge commercial success.

Yeah definitely and he made huge life changes in the early 80s too in coming off the coke and trying to be a better dad to his kid. Still if nothing else this era did give us this video...

What pressings do you guys have of David Bowie's albums? I'm looking to buy the Rhino 2016 remastered versions of his albums. I've heard that the Rhino pressings sound great! They do at least with the prince reissues I have!

What pressings do you guys have of David Bowie's albums? I'm looking to buy the Rhino 2016 remastered versions of his albums. I've heard that the Rhino pressings sound great! They do at least with the prince reissues I have!

I have the box sets which just have the normal pressings in them. They were all good apart from “Heroes” for which Warner sent out replacements. I don’t think the issue affected the albums outside the box because they were released approx 6 months later.

I have the box sets which just have the normal pressings in them. They were all good apart from “Heroes” for which Warner sent out replacements. I don’t think the issue affected the albums outside the box because they were released approx 6 months later.
That's good to know. I'm just going to stick with the current pressings (2016/2017 Rhino remastered pressings) as I'm sure they'll sound great!

That's good to know. I'm just going to stick with the current pressings (2016/2017 Rhino remastered pressings) as I'm sure they'll sound great!

I have all Rhino issues so far through Heroes (still have to pick up the rest) and they all sound great. My wife is a huge Bowie fan so these are some of my most listened to albums while she is home.

Listening to A New Career In a New Town since I am working from home today. I did not end up getting a replacement for "Heroes". I could have but I was too lazy. I have only given the whole set one listen so far so this is long overdue

I can never do a Bowie top 10 list since for me it changes everyday. Some times The Man Who Sold The World is one of my faves (the song itself is wonderful) and other times it might be l only in the low teens for my Top 20.

I always go back to the run of 72-76 albums which is absolutely amazing: Ziggy, (Pin-ups which I like but many hate), Aladin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans and Station to Station. Most artists would kill to have made just one of those albums.

And his ability to grow in that period. In 24 months he went from record Diamond Dogs to recording Low. Insane.

What I love about his post-80s output (from Buddha on) is that because I have spent less time with them compared to say Low is that when I put one of those records on I am hearing something new.

The pressing quality of all the albums in the boxsets have been great. And that has carried on to the individual re-releases. Heroes was a mastering decision not a pressing issue. Not even a pry warp in any of the records.

My only issue is the quality of the tape used for remastering on Hunky Dory. I can hear some wow and flutter on Changes and others claim it is also on Andy Warhol. But that has been an issue since the Ryko reissues I think. For some reason the original master was damaged in the 70s or 80s

The pressing quality of all the albums in the boxsets have been great. And that has carried on to the individual re-releases. Heroes was a mastering decision not a pressing issue. Not even a pry warp in any of the records.

My only issue is the quality of the tape used for remastering on Hunky Dory. I can hear some wow and flutter on Changes and others claim it is also on Andy Warhol. But that has been an issue since the Ryko reissues I think. For some reason the original master was damaged in the 70s or 80s
The live album I think Santa Monica 72 in the first box set is one of the best sounding pressings I own. I was floored when I first listened to it.

The Loving the Alien box is only $139 on Amazon right now. I want it bad especially since I don't have any of those reissues yet and the non-studio albums havent been issues separately, but pretty sure my OCD would drive me crazy since I dont have the other boxes.

The Loving the Alien box is only $139 on Amazon right now. I want it bad especially since I don't have any of those reissues yet and the non-studio albums havent been issues separately, but pretty sure my OCD would drive me crazy since I dont have the other boxes.
That's a pretty good price. I'll eventually pick up the other two I don't have but I'm short of shelf space at the moment.

Have I already boasted about how I got the Five Years Boxset for $150? daylight robbery basically, This was ordered Jan 11, 2016

1567086754750.png

That's a pretty good price. I'll eventually pick up the other two I don't have but I'm short of shelf space at the moment.

Have I already boasted about how I got the Five Years Boxset for $150? daylight robbery basically, This was ordered Jan 11, 2016

View attachment 15581

Damn, that is a steal. I would love that box (even though I own the individuals) but havent seen it for less than $4-500.

For all of Parlaphones money grubbing (those 7" boxsets are killing me), I am very glad they have not released the bonus material individually.

I am surprised that the estate did not continue the pre-order bonus that they did with the 5 Years boxset. If you pre-ordered through the official store, you got a 10" win a radio promo spot for Pin-ups. Nothing that you need but a nice bonus.

Back