Ch Ch Ch Changes! - David Bowie Talk

Oh no! Not Tin Machine!
Um... I will not tolerate this disparagement of Tin Machine. Where the hell is @Yer Ol' Uncle D ???

Slag Tin Machine all you like but before you go overboard, consider the consequences if they'd never happened.

The simple fact is Tin Machine and the newfound collaboration with Reeves Gabrels reenergized Bowie and blasted him out of his lackluster 80's funk.

You rather have Never Let Me Down for the next 30 years? Without Tin Machine you may have gotten just that. No Reeves Gabrels = no Outside, Earthling or Hours.

Space Oddity I can understand but don't front on The Man Who Sold the World... it's a phenomenal record!!

It’s a good record, it’s not phenomenal and I actually think that in containing Letter to Hermione, Space Oddity and Memory of a Free Festival that Space Oddity is marginally better than it...

I also don’t think I’m being harsh on it, Hunky Dory to “Heroes” is a run of albums that redefined popular music and Lodger to Lets Dance is a pretty great run of brilliant, but not defining, albums.

Slag Tin Machine all you like but before you go overboard, consider the consequences if they'd never happened.

The simple fact is Tin Machine and the newfound collaboration with Reeves Gabrels reenergized Bowie and blasted him out of his lackluster 80's funk.

You rather have Never Let Me Down for the next 30 years? Without Tin Machine you may have gotten just that. No Reeves Gabrels = no Outside, Earthling or Hours.

All of which are excellent points well made and reasons to not dismiss Tin Machine and check them out. It still no more belongs in a Bowie solo box than a Jagger or Keef solo album does in a Stones box or a Traveling Wilburrys album does in a Bob Dylan box...

It’s a good record, it’s not phenomenal and I actually think that in containing Letter to Hermione, Space Oddity and Memory of a Free Festival that Space Oddity is marginally better than it...

I also don’t think I’m being harsh on it, Hunky Dory to “Heroes” is a run of albums that redefined popular music and Lodger to Lets Dance is a pretty great run of brilliant, but not defining, albums.
Eh, different strokes and all. I honestly can't think of a song on The Man Who Sold the World I dislike but I don't suppose it's got the same legend status as Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars or "Heroes". I just don't think it's worth discounting from his absurdly good 70s run, as it's up there with the rest of them for me personally. I will say Space Oddity has very little replay value for me whereas I can listen TMWSTW quite often but that's just me

Eh, different strokes and all. I honestly can't think of a song on The Man Who Sold the World I dislike but I don't suppose it's got the same legend status as Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars or "Heroes". I just don't think it's worth discounting from his absurdly good 70s run, as it's up there with the rest of them for me personally. I will say Space Oddity has very little replay value for me whereas I can listen TMWSTW quite often but that's just me

I enjoy listening to it but it feels a little lightweight in comparison to those that followed and it’s title track was bettered by Nirvana unplugged...

I mean it’s followed immediately by Hunky Dory which, for me, is pretty much the greatest pop record of all time and then Ziggy. When you talk to people who were there at the time there was life before Ziggy was first unveiled on Top of the Pops and life after. It was one of this those epoch changing cultural moments.

Then after he retired Ziggy after Aladdin Sane it didn’t all fall apart he just kept getting better and better.

As I said good, but in that context, not great. But you do you and if you love it that’s great 😀.

I enjoy listening to it but it feels a little lightweight in comparison to those that followed and it’s title track was bettered by Nirvana unplugged...

I mean it’s followed immediately by Hunky Dory which, for me, is pretty much the greatest pop record of all time and then Ziggy. When you talk to people who were there at the time there was life before Ziggy was first unveiled on Top of the Pops and life after. It was one of this those epoch changing cultural moments.

Then after he retired Ziggy after Aladdin Sane it didn’t all fall apart he just kept getting better and better.

As I said good, but in that context, not great. But you do you and if you love it that’s great 😀.
I do love it! But I also see your point... so... let's say we're both right!
giphy8.gif

All of which are excellent points well made and reasons to not dismiss Tin Machine and check them out. It still no more belongs in a Bowie solo box than a Jagger or Keef solo album does in a Stones box or a Traveling Wilburrys album does in a Bob Dylan box...

I don't recall the part where these releases were presented as exclusively Bowie solo works.

If that wasn't the official intention then it's a Bowie box so I can see inclusion of Tin Machine as Bowie assembled the group, made the whole thing happen and was the highest profile participant.

As for the Stones, it's a Stones box. Of course you wouldn't include Keef and Mick (and Mick Taylor and Ron Wood and Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts) solo work. It's a box for the Rolling Stones collective and titled as such. And I agree on Dylan - he wasn't the most high profile member of that group at the time and that project was very much divided in terms of contribution.

I don't recall the part where these releases were presented as exclusively Bowie solo works.

If that wasn't the official intention then it's a Bowie box so I can see inclusion of Tin Machine as Bowie assembled the group, made the whole thing happen and was the highest profile participant.

As for the Stones, it's a Stones box. Of course you wouldn't include Keef and Mick (and Mick Taylor and Ron Wood and Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts) solo work. It's a box for the Rolling Stones collective and titled as such. And I agree on Dylan - he wasn't the most high profile member of that group at the time and that project was very much divided in terms of contribution.

I just think it has its own narrative and doesn’t really fit in the box. Bowie was at pains at the time to point out he was just the frontman and that it was a proper band. There should be s tin machine project with all that stuff.

What we’re going to get it a messy compromise. Tin Machine was recorded and released under a Bowie solo contract so it will be in this box. It will allow them to finish his career in 3 boxes rather than the 2 they should do it in. Tin Machine II was released on a band contract (which I believe covers any “extras”) and so I’m willing to bet won’t be in the boxes. The best outcome would be dealt with separately, second all in these boxes and I’m betting we’ll get the worst which is part in part out.

Back