Ch Ch Ch Changes! - David Bowie Talk

Stinks of a record company wanting to squeeze an unnecessary extra box set in his name that’d sell more copies than a tin machine one would...
I was originally going to try and back track my way into picking up these boxes, but with having a lot of the releases already, it seems like money better spent elsewhere at this point. I have no problem seeing this being milked a bit as @Joe Mac said, they already had the boxes coming out, they've been selling very well, so ya, their going to spin the box content to their liking.

While there are highs and lows in Bowie's discography, I don't think there are any albums that are completely without merit. I rather liked Tin Machine's ST, but you can hear that it's, as Bowie states, something he's just fronting, it has his voice but I don't think the overall sound and flavor is Bowie-esq. And while Nirvana probably introduced a bunch of people to The Man Who Sold the World, lets face it, a lot of people thought this was a Nirvana song, lol. I still like the Bowie version better.

There is something I've come to realize and @Yer Ol' Uncle D kind of touched on it, I think it's different being younger and backtracking into a discography as opposed to living through it, meaning, watching the evolution and real life impact that his music, persona's, etc.. caused as they happened. He's brilliant either way and still missed ;)

I was originally going to try and back track my way into picking up these boxes, but with having a lot of the releases already, it seems like money better spent elsewhere at this point. I have no problem seeing this being milked a bit as @Joe Mac said, they already had the boxes coming out, they've been selling very well, so ya, their going to spin the box content to their liking.

While there are highs and lows in Bowie's discography, I don't think there are any albums that are completely without merit. I rather liked Tin Machine's ST, but you can hear that it's, as Bowie states, something he's just fronting, it has his voice but I don't think the overall sound and flavor is Bowie-esq. And while Nirvana probably introduced a bunch of people to The Man Who Sold the World, lets face it, a lot of people thought this was a Nirvana song, lol. I still like the Bowie version better.

There is something I've come to realize and @Yer Ol' Uncle D kind of touched on it, I think it's different being younger and backtracking into a discography as opposed to living through it, meaning, watching the evolution and real life impact that his music, persona's, etc.. caused as they happened. He's brilliant either way and still missed ;)

Oh compeletly, Bowie is up there with The Beatles for me as one of those totems of music that’s been there in my life since before I remember and really defines music for me. I can’t imagine that there is a better run of albums than Hunky Dory to “Heroes” (and arguably even Let’s Dance). I just don’t think Tin Machine should be in these boxes...

Also boxes 1 and 2 are special, 3 is very good, 4 is taste dependent a bit more...

Sort of related to Tin Machine. I really like the fact that the estate has billed the Clareville Demos and Mercury Demos as being David & Hutch as opposed to DAVID BOWIE (with John Hutchinson)

Oh compeletly, Bowie is up there with The Beatles for me as one of those totems of music that’s been there in my life since before I remember and really defines music for me. I can’t imagine that there is a better run of albums than Hunky Dory to “Heroes” (and arguably even Let’s Dance). I just don’t think Tin Machine should be in these boxes...
Start to really worry when the Labyrinth Soundtrack gets included, lol

A separate box for Tin Machine is the best option. Tin machine 1, 2, Oy Vey Baby, The collected stuff from the EPs and an unreleased concert. Doesn’t need to be as expensive as the other album boxes.

@Kris @HiFi Guy @Alexander and @nolalady

Mod team go!

It seems we did actually already have a Bowie thread, I found it while searching for something else...

Can we merge this one into it please? 😀

Surprised we haven't heard anything yet on the next boxset. With the moderate hype Parlaphone generated over the last few months with the Space Oddity anniversary. and demos, the last couple of weeks would have been a good time to announce the next boxset

Eh, different strokes and all. I honestly can't think of a song on The Man Who Sold the World I dislike but I don't suppose it's got the same legend status as Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars or "Heroes". I just don't think it's worth discounting from his absurdly good 70s run, as it's up there with the rest of them for me personally. I will say Space Oddity has very little replay value for me whereas I can listen TMWSTW quite often but that's just me
I’m in agreement with this. 😀 it certainly has a a much more ‘Zep’ feel to the sound but lots of highlights and works as a whole piece in album form for me as well.
I can also agree that I think Hunky Dory is one of the first pieces of art I’ve ever had the pleasure of experiencing so maybe no wrong answer!

Back