Ch Ch Ch Changes! - David Bowie Talk

Well Murfocakes is interesting because his favourite Prince album is "Parade", an album that hardly features on people's top 3 Prince albums. And his favourite Lou Reed album is "Blue Mask". Before you know it, he'll be placing "Diamond Dogs" as the best Bowie album lol

Lee Newman, i never knew he was a huge bowie fan! I know he's also a big Prince fan, but never knew he loved Bowie! Keen to see what his favourite Bowie albums are!!!

You are right Nathan. I am interesting. I don’t know if I have a favourite Bowie album. Maybe 1.Outside as I have played it more than any other and it’s got excellent songs and made me appreciate him as a contemporary genius rather than a heritage artist.

But his 70s run rivals Prince’s 80s. @Joe Mac is right, at least 10 AMAZING albums. The others are at the very least good. Special call outs to Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Station To Station, Low, Heroes, Scary Monsters and Blackstar which I think are in that special realm of classic that exists beyond 5 star.

Is 1.Outside his best? No. But it’s my favourite. Even the talking segues.

Especially the talking segues.

I even like Never Let Me Down, but not so much the new version. The loud clatter of the OTT original suits Bowie’s vocal delivery at the time. Also Time Will Crawl, Zeroes, Shining Star, what’s not to love about it.

For all of Parlaphones money grubbing (those 7" boxsets are killing me), I am very glad they have not released the bonus material individually.

I am surprised that the estate did not continue the pre-order bonus that they did with the 5 Years boxset. If you pre-ordered through the official store, you got a 10" win a radio promo spot for Pin-ups. Nothing that you need but a nice bonus.

I hate those 7” box sets. Totally impractical way to play those outtake compilations and I hope they compile them into an ordinary boxset some day. So I can buy them again. But a shameless money grab.

I hate those 7in boxsets as well, though I did buy all 3 plus the overpriced Mercury Demos. At least I have been able to get the Hi-Res file versions of the first 2 boxes and the Mercury Demos so I can have them available digitally.

Funny thing, the demos really helped me get a better feel for what he was struggling to try and do in the 60s. I really am not a fan of the 1969 s/t, but the demos have changed that. It helps having the digital files so you can easily listen to them in one go with headphones.

I was able to pick up the coloured vinyl version of Ziggy and Aladin, unopened. I picked them up for trade purposes only. Might be useful down the road. I have 4 copies of Ziggy, 5 if you count the 2003 remix/remaster that came with the boxset.

I got the Paul Smith copy of the 1969 album and I see it already goes for a pretty penny. I have to stop buying variants of Bowie albums I already own.

This is another thing I’m good at. If I buy a new variant the old one has to go...

So as I’m not getting rid of anything out of the box set no new varients are coming in!

This is another thing I’m good at. If I buy a new variant the old one has to go...

So as I’m not getting rid of anything out of the box set no new varients are coming in!

The Paul Smith one has x5 in price since I got it so that would be the one I would sell. But Bowie is different. Happy to have extra copies of everything he does. So all my children can share them when I pass on.

The Paul Smith one has x5 in price since I got it so that would be the one I would sell. But Bowie is different. Happy to have extra copies of everything he does. So all my children can share them when I pass on.

I have no issue. More money to spend on records and less people to fight over my money. Also not married/with partner, that’s a significant obstacle...

Bowie is the only artist I have done this for. I have my copy I bought back in 1983 because my local shop was out of Let's Dance. It is beat to shit but has sentimental value. I picked up a UK 1st press in the late 90s for pennies. Then I got the boxset version. I am a sad sucker

Yes also multiple CD versions. Think I have 5 Ziggy CDs. Totally unnecessary. But then again I listen to Bowie all the time so more value in getting another Station To Station which I will spin, than getting a copy of some randomly curated curio I will play once.

I pretty much have avoided Bowie cds. I have a bunch of cds I burned of hi-res vinylrips. I also have a few items that have never been released on vinyl (yet) like the 2000 BBC Theatre show which came with the original BBC sessions set. Also have a couple of greatest hits (Nothing has changed etc) that have a few anomalies and track versions that have been unavailable elsewhere. But thats it!!!

The Loving the Alien box is only $139 on Amazon right now. I want it bad especially since I don't have any of those reissues yet and the non-studio albums havent been issues separately, but pretty sure my OCD would drive me crazy since I dont have the other boxes.
Its tempting because I only currently have Let's Dance, but, like you, I think the other boxes would start calling me and I would just rather avoid the temptation, lol.

I started doing this a while ago with not only variants but some pressings. The only time I really hang on to multiples is if it's an OG and its MoFi counterpart.....even then it depends on the album, I didn't see the burning need to keep an OG of Huey Lewis' Sport with a MoFi on hand ;)

Well Murfocakes is interesting because his favourite Prince album is "Parade", an album that hardly features on people's top 3 Prince albums. And his favourite Lou Reed album is "Blue Mask". Before you know it, he'll be placing "Diamond Dogs" as the best Bowie album lol

Lee Newman, i never knew he was a huge bowie fan! I know he's also a big Prince fan, but never knew he loved Bowie! Keen to see what his favourite Bowie albums are!!!
Parade is Prince’s second best album. I think Prince heads have completely different views of his albums than the general public.

I’d really have to give some thought to Bowie. I don’t think I’ve ever thought about ranking them. They’re all so very different.

Last edited:
Parade is Prince’s second best album. I think Prince heads have completely different views of his albums than the general public.

I’d really have to give some thought to Bowie. I don’t think I’ve ever thought about ranking them. They’re all so very different.

Hahaha I get that. Ive just spend my life ranking things since i first read High Fidelity. Then the film came out and I got worse again...

Hahaha I get that. Ive just spend my life ranking things since i first read High Fidelity. Then the film came out and I got worse again...
I’m not antilist for sure, just how do you even start? Station to Station vs Hunky Dory vs Ziggy vs Aladdin Sane vs Young Americans. They are all perfect; how is any better than the other?

Back