Ch Ch Ch Changes! - David Bowie Talk

For those that may have missed out on some of the Brilliant Live Adventures albums/cd they are doing a 2nd pressing. Of course they would be stupid not to, but at least this will kill the flipper market. Luckily I got all 6 and only had to pay a flipper (not horrendous) for 1 of them. You need to register your interest so I guess you get sent a link when they are available to order.
Aren’t we way overdue for the next/last big box o’ Bowie? I assume it will exist someday anyway.

I signed up because I'm weak and FOMO is a
bitch.
I love Bowie but I'm not sure if I want that many live albums.

On the other hand, I can't wait for box 5.

I'm really impatient for the next box. I love the "classic" 70s period, but 90s bowie is my favorite bowie (esp the Tao Jones stuff). Earthling and 1. Outside are my two favorites, and I have outside on vinyl but not earthling.

I'm really impatient for the next box. I love the "classic" 70s period, but 90s bowie is my favorite bowie (esp the Tao Jones stuff). Earthling and 1. Outside are my two favorites, and I have outside on vinyl but not earthling.
Funny, I had a hard time getting into his 90s period. I also have Outside on vinyl, but find it impenetrable to this day. Earthling has its moments, same with hours, but I truly find his albums after Let’s Dance to be hit and miss at best. It wasn’t until Heathen that he found his way again, IMHO.

Leather daddy roller blader would like a word with you

Nah. NLMD is solid. Shining Star. Time Will Crawl. Zeroes. All yummy. That remix album removed the clattering OTT fun of the album by giving it ‘sensible’ and ‘serious’ backing music like hours (which is just dull). I’ve had good times to Never Let Me Down. Hours isn’t bad, just dull, unlike his other albums

Anyone have opinions on the Who Can I Be Now box? I’ve got a 30% code for The Sound of Vinyl, which would make it $175. I’m intrigued mostly by The Glouster and the alternate mix of Station to Station, not so much for the two David Live albums

Anyone have opinions on the Who Can I Be Now box? I’ve got a 30% code for The Sound of Vinyl, which would make it $175. I’m intrigued mostly by The Glouster and the alternate mix of Station to Station, not so much for the two David Live albums

I love that box! Although that is mainly because since the minute I first heard I was proclaiming The Gouster as the lost Bowie masterpiece! When talking to value, and if you’re buying a box that contains several albums you already own, it does share a fair few songs with Young Americans. It was a bit of an easier decision for me back then because I was yet to replace my main Bowie discography on cds with vinyl so I was doing that too.

Last edited:
I love that box! Although that is mainly because since the minute I first heard I was proclaiming The Gouster as the lost Bowie masfrpeice! When talking to value, and if you’re buying a box that contains several
albums you already own, it does share a fair few songs with Young Americans. It was a bit of an easier decision for me back then because I was yet to replace my main Bowie discography on cds with vinyl so I was doing that too.
I already own Young Americans, Diamond Dogs and two copies of Station to Station, which I would sell to help offset the cost a little, but for me, this period isn’t his strongest. STS is my favorite Bowie album, so I am very curious to hear the two versions, plus the live Nassau set is good, and of course The Gouster, I’m just ambivalent about the other live albums included plus the ReCall material looks so-so.

I actually put this 2nd to the Career boxset. I have always liked David Live and Nassau is great as well. To be honest, the Maslin mix of STS is not really all that different from the original (hard to top it). But Gouster truly is a great record.

But think of the changes (no pun) that he did with his sound in this box. In a little more than 24 months he started to record DD (Jan 1974) to embarking on his biggest ever tour, which he revamped completely in the middle of the tour. At the same time he recorded Gouster and shelved it, then after the tour recorded Young Americans. Then acted in The Man Who Fell to Earth, made Station To Station and started another large world tour. Hell if you go through to December 1976, he wrote and produced an Iggy Pop record and recored Low. Cocaine, its a hell of a drug.

I actually put this 2nd to the Career boxset. I have always liked David Live and Nassau is great as well. To be honest, the Maslin mix of STS is not really all that different from the original (hard to top it). But Gouster truly is a great record.

But think of the changes (no pun) that he did with his sound in this box. In a little more than 24 months he started to record DD (Jan 1974) to embarking on his biggest ever tour, which he revamped completely in the middle of the tour. At the same time he recorded Gouster and shelved it, then after the tour recorded Young Americans. Then acted in The Man Who Fell to Earth, made Station To Station and started another large world tour. Hell if you go through to December 1976, he wrote and produced an Iggy Pop record and recored Low. Cocaine, its a hell of a drug.
I appreciate your and @Joe Mac insight. I might just have to pull the trigger.

Forgot to mention I also have the New Career box, and it’s just splendid, so I’m excited to get this one too!

Back