Ch Ch Ch Changes! - David Bowie Talk

TMWSTW definitely could benefit from a remix but two things a) his work has been milked so cynically since his death that Freddie Mercury will be proud of how Brian May and Roger Taylor have respected Queen’s legacy (and if you can’t detect sarcasm in this statement I feel for you. I really do, to quote PM Dawn) and b) I have no faith that Tony Visconti’s ears which made a balls up of producing it first time around will do a better job second time (and 50 years!) around.

I did pickup the Space Oddity 2019 remix and liked it, but hopefully I will have the strength to resist this.

Now if they would do something like the Conversation Piece box I would be interested. They did a good job on that with the booklet etc.

TMWSTW definitely could benefit from a remix but two things a) his work has been milked so cynically since his death that Freddie Mercury will be proud of how Brian May and Roger Taylor have respected Queen’s legacy (and if you can’t detect sarcasm in this statement I feel for you. I really do, to quote PM Dawn) and b) I have no faith that Tony Visconti’s ears which made a balls up of producing it first time around will do a better job second time (and 50 years!) around.

Yep, The Bowie estate is hard to keep up with ... I’m not a fan of these random colour vinyl releases ...just seems a cynical way to get people to buy multiple copies in the hope of getting lucky

Yep, The Bowie estate is hard to keep up with ... I’m not a fan of these random colour vinyl releases ...just seems a cynical way to get people to buy multiple copies in the hope of getting lucky

Not a fan of any of the pointless colour releases or random shit leftover on a tape releases they’ve been doing. Finish the damn box sets!

Not sure how the vinyl sounds. I have a digital copy of the show it is pretty good. I can't remember but I think it was recorded for either video or a possible official live release but never was issued.

DAVID BOWIE ERA 5 BOX SET UPDATE

“Looking at the future solid as a rock because of you, Again and again...”

On the day that we celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Station To Station box set, we thought it would be a good time to bring you up to speed with the plans for the Era 5 set.

It seems that every time we make a post on the official channels regarding new releases, a great number of you use the opportunity to comment on the lack of news regarding the Era 5 set. That's to be expected and your frustration is understandable.

But first, here's a reminder of the first four era box releases:

Era 1 = Five Years (1969–1973) - Released 2015 = 42 years
Era 2 = Who Can I Be Now? (1974–1976) - Released 2016 = 40 years
Era 3 = A New Career in a New Town (1977–1982) - Released 2017 = 35 years
Era 4 = Loving the Alien (1983–1988) - Released 2018 = 30 years

As you can see, the amount of time between the last year covered by each era box and its release date is decreasing exponentially, if that makes sense.

So with the Era 5 box which was originally going to cover the years 1993 to 1999, the plan was to release last year. Though that meant it was only a 20 year gap between 'hours...' and the release of the Era 5 box, it was considered a set that many fans were clamouring for due to the titles that hadn't been released on vinyl originally or were hard to find.

However, we then decided to increase the span of the box up to 2001, so to keep at least a 20 year gap between the last year covered and release date, it means the box won't now be released till next year.

Also, due to the effect of COVID, not only on everyday life, but its impact on plans within the music industry as a whole too, this has been an evolving situation and we thank you for your patience.

Of course, that doesn't mean you won't be getting anything new until next year. You may have noticed that various other releases have peppered the months in-between the era boxes, including live albums and the Conversation Piece set last year, along with other releases.

Indeed, stay tuned for the announcement of another exciting project before the end of next week.

May we also take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and for the enthusiasm shown for the era boxes.

#BowieEraBoxes

Well I guess no Tin Machine in the box. No loss but wouldn't mind getting the 1st album on vinyl. But I guess that also means no live albumfrom the Sound+Vision tour either. Supposedly they recorded several of the shows for a live comp that got shelved.

So that is quite a bit of studio material
  • Black Tie
  • Buddha
  • 1. Outside
  • Earthling
  • Hours
  • Heathen
  • Reality
That is 8 studio lps alone (Outside is a 2xlp). Hopefully that also means Toy might get released.

Heathen and Reality both had a lot of b-sides and outtakes. I would think Re:Call 5 would at least be a double album

Also might mean some of the other live stuff released to streaming this year might be included (liveandwell.com, Ouvrez le Chien, and Something in the Air). I would love to see a vinyl release of the full 2000 BBC show (25th anniversary this weekend). He performed 22 songs at that show but only 15 or 16 were released as a bonus cd on the Bowie at the Beeb.

This might be the biggest boxset yet.

Well I guess no Tin Machine in the box. No loss but wouldn't mind getting the 1st album on vinyl. But I guess that also means no live albumfrom the Sound+Vision tour either. Supposedly they recorded several of the shows for a live comp that got shelved.

So that is quite a bit of studio material
  • Black Tie
  • Buddha
  • 1. Outside
  • Earthling
  • Hours
  • Heathen
  • Reality
That is 8 studio lps alone (Outside is a 2xlp). Hopefully that also means Toy might get released.

Heathen and Reality both had a lot of b-sides and outtakes. I would think Re:Call 5 would at least be a double album

Also might mean some of the other live stuff released to streaming this year might be included (liveandwell.com, Ouvrez le Chien, and Something in the Air). I would love to see a vinyl release of the full 2000 BBC show (25th anniversary this weekend). He performed 22 songs at that show but only 15 or 16 were released as a bonus cd on the Bowie at the Beeb.

This might be the biggest boxset yet.

Heathen was 02 and Reality 03 so if it’s up to 01 those two won’t be in. I’d imagine those two are held back for the final box, otherwise it’d be very scant. Also I think the first box, Five Years, was five albums too. The long spoken about Toy might just make it in though.

Here is the superdeluxeedition.com breakdown
They speculate that 2001 gives themtheopportunity to include the 2000 bbc concert that partially wasincludedas a bonus cd on bowie at the beep
David Bowie 1990s-era box set confirmed for 2021 | superdeluxeedition

I’d imagine that the Glastonbury live show from 2000 that was released a couple of years back will be in there too. Maybe they’ll hold off on toy until the next one as it was never released and was the precursor to Heathen more than part of his 90s cannon.

Last edited:
I doubt Glastonbury will be in it, there are tons of other live releases they could include that are only available streaming right now.

Between the 5 studio albums (Outside is a double), if they do a 2xlp for ReCall plus Toy, and maybe the Leon Suites (original version of Outside) right there would be 10lps. Toss in a couple of live concerts and you got 14 records right there.

So then the final box set will be

Heathen
Reality
Reality Tour
Next Day
Next Day Extra EP
Blackstar
No Plan EP

With a 2LP Re:Call that’s still only 10LPs. Maybe Lazarus soundtrack would be in there as well but I’d imagine not. The 80s was 15LPs and the other 3 were 13LPs. That makes me think that they’ll maybe put toy in with this box to make more space in box 5 and fill this one out a bit. Plus it does tie in with Heathen more than the 90s.

Toy is the wildcard. They started recording it in late 99 but was handed in to the label in mid 2000. Thematically it would fit to put it with Heathen as some of Toy tracks were re-recorded for it or for cd-eps. But if the box goes to 2001 that would be strange to leave it out.

Maybe a 2xlp for the Leon Suites? I have a bootleg version that is 75 minutes long, though the more polished version that was submitted to the label is 2 parts, 20min each

Yeah toy is a wildcard. I think it makes more sense in box 6 because it fits thematically and that box is looking scant without it as he quit touring after Reality so much less live material to fill in the gaps. Being so new surely none of that would be remixed either.

Without toy and with the 1LP Leon that was finished and went to the label that’d be 9LPs which would give 4-6 for live and the obligatory unnecessary remixed album.

Back