Black Lives Matter

Crazy how many white people on Twitter seem to be going around saying "Of course they don't really mean de-fund or abolish when they say those words. They just mean reform."

Not to say everyone who is protesting wants to de-fund or abolish police completely, but some do and it is really not a good look to speak for them by saying they don't really mean what they mean.

I just discovered this thread. Great convo guys. Just wanted to say that I just watched Hoop Dreams for the first time (which is kinda crazy as I’m a film and basketball junkie). It wound up being super relevant. Definitely paints a clear picture of the ways in which certain white institutions treat black black men (and their families) as disposable.

Also the two rallies I’ve been to in LA have been peaceful, communal and even sort of therapeutic. The vast majority of the crowd was also wearing masks which was good to see.

(I’m only 1/3 through reading this thread so I might add another post. I’m really curious for thoughts on Minneapolis City Counsels decision)

Hi! Sorry, Mr. Glitter and I dug through our library for recommendations and talked about different orgs, and then we decided to get drunk and watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. instead of getting back online, hahaha.

Lucky for us, this morning we found out that our #1 recommendation for you, The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale, is free to download right now via that link.

Another excellent book for researching policing in general is Our Enemies In Blue: Police and Power in America by Kristian Williams. The majority of the book is about police in America, but it has an entire afterward about Making Police Obsolete.

Someone already linked to Critical Resistance, I believe. They have a ton of great resources regarding abolition of police and prisons and more. I particularly think folks in this thread might like this pdf comparing Reformists to Abolitionist positions in policing.

Accountability is a huge factor in preventing the culture of self-preservation you mention. People who are usurping power are obsessed with keeping it. We know police unions coordinate with government to avoid just about any accountability. Replacing policing with systems that allow people to function in community as we are evolved to do, with plenty of accountability can help prevent the grotesque system of power and abuse we currently have in place. There is no utopia. But the idea that people are inherently evil and must be policed comes a lot from Christian belief systems--the same ones used to justify colonialism, whiteness, genocide, manifest destiny.View attachment 50137

Snagged The End of Policing. Thanks.

As a Sociology minor back in the day (lots of Foucault + food production + studying the origins / effects of neo-con/liberalism). I've recently gotten the itch for this type of stuff but was kinda of directionless as it pertains to vital, modern reading.

Last edited:
Something I have yet to see mentioned is that the KKK long ago determined that there best route to relevancy was infiltrating and joining local police forces. I'd venture to say that if we knew the percentage of KKK who are also cops, it'd be very high.

Which is exactly why you see all these videos of white supremacy groups being protected and even empowered during these protests.

Oh, also...

There are allegations that LAPD arrested protestors, sorted them by gender, zip tied them to the inside of a bus, gave the women MULTIPLE cavity searches, left them inside the bus for hours on end while they pissed themselves and had panic attacks (and homeless people lost their shit), blasted them with heavy metal and then released them in the middle of the night and told them to find their way home....

The media has been very quiet about it but it has been added to the BLM lawsuit against the city.

Variations of this happened on multiple buses. Even ignoring all the other violence, this + the incident in Buffalo is making it harder and harder to argue it’s just a few bad apples.

I have friends with cops as family members. One of them is a really good man who helped run his department’s academy in a way that attempted to ensure bad apples didn’t make it through. The moving photos from Camden involve his department. I do not think all cops are bad men. I do think the system is largely rotten and good cops are often prevented from positions of power or meaningful reform. More importantly, I think there is zero accountability because the system is designed that way.

And the fact that there is zero accountability gives them the sense that they are above the law (and as many others have mentioned) results in a certain personality type being attracted to the job. Hell, the head of the union for LAPD basically just threatened the mayor's life with a comment along the lines of "don't forget we're the ones who guard your house while you sleep".

Last edited:

I wound up finding the full film on youtube. Have to go to bed momentarily but I am very much enjoying it. So thank you. May send it to my parents to. My mom will enjoy it from a psychology standpoint and my while dad is an awesome human being- he is white AF. Might leave him thinking a bit.

I wrote in a project in grad school that school and the education system is the most universal government invention in all people’s lives. Imaging if at every school you had access to a social worker, MH counselor, lower student to teacher ratios, more opportunities to explore extra curricular activities. School sights could be built into the center piece of a community. I know it a pie in the sky idea. I’ve worked in poor schools in East LA next to section 8 housing and currently in one in a wealthy suburb. The difference is stark.

1000%. School funding being based off property tax is such a huge part of this country's inequality. And charter schools have only made it worse. It's infuriating and helping to dumb down the entire country (intentionally).

Last edited:
I re-watched this video today and I urge as many as people as possible to watch it. I think its the perfect encapsulation of the problem (and Piers Morgan is the perfect example of someone that has racism ingrained in his belief system). Ignoring the fact that Morgan constantly tries to bait Professor Kehinde Andrews into stating he hates the UK (seriously its embarrassing the number of times he does this) it goes to show that the hosts fully believe one good deed cancels out any other. So many times in this conversation both of the hosts, Susanna Reid & Piers Morgan, say so many inherently racist things, including suggesting the Professor should move elsewhere if he isn't happy with the racism, that its Piers Morgan's country (the Professor's response of "Its just as much my country" was swept under the rug), and that the Professor is focusing on one small thing (Churchill being racist) rather than looking at the bigger thing ('winning the war') which ironically is exactly what Morgan is doing in reverse.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with Piers Morgan, he uses shouting and attempts to drown out the guests on a regular basis as he is incapable of actually debating. He tried turning the guests genuine views into something else which he knows the general public would not like (ie you hate this country) on a regular basis. Worst of all is that, as my girlfriend pointed out, had this conversation taken place today amidst the current Black Lives Matter rally Piers would 100% be on the side of Professor Kehinde Andrews, as he ultimately wants to be seen as the voice of the people (he very much is not.....at least I really hope so).

I re-watched this video today and I urge as many as people as possible to watch it. I think its the perfect encapsulation of the problem (and Piers Morgan is the perfect example of someone that has racism ingrained in his belief system). Ignoring the fact that Morgan constantly tries to bait Professor Kehinde Andrews into stating he hates the UK (seriously its embarrassing the number of times he does this) it goes to show that the hosts fully believe one good deed cancels out any other. So many times in this conversation both of the hosts, Susanna Reid & Piers Morgan, say so many inherently racist things, including suggesting the Professor should move elsewhere if he isn't happy with the racism, that its Piers Morgan's country (the Professor's response of "Its just as much my country" was swept under the rug), and that the Professor is focusing on one small thing (Churchill being racist) rather than looking at the bigger thing ('winning the war') which ironically is exactly what Morgan is doing in reverse.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with Piers Morgan, he uses shouting and attempts to drown out the guests on a regular basis as he is incapable of actually debating. He tried turning the guests genuine views into something else which he knows the general public would not like (ie you hate this country) on a regular basis. Worst of all is that, as my girlfriend pointed out, had this conversation taken place today amidst the current Black Lives Matter rally Piers would 100% be on the side of Professor Kehinde Andrews, as he ultimately wants to be seen as the voice of the people (he very much is not.....at least I really hope so).

Hes a nasty repugnant troll. How he managed to rehabilitate himself after being sacked as the editor of the mirror when they published faked photos of soldiers abusing prisoners I’ll never know.

Last edited:
Hes a nasty repugnant troll. How he managed to rehabilitate himself after being sacked as the editor of the mirror when published faked photos of soldiers abusing prisoners I’ll never know.
I agree, he should be locked up.

We went to the Defund The Police march yesterday in Brooklyn that started at McCarren Park. There must have been thousands of people there protesting without incident. There was a very loud chant of “quit your job” at the cops as we went under an overpass which was filled with cops on the sidewalks. There were police helicopters overhead which was of course a gigantic waste of money.

Came home and we started watching Wyatt Cenac’s Problem Areas on HBO. The first season is all about policing and has been pretty eye opening so far as well. I’d recommend watching it for those of you who haven’t seen it yet.

As anticipated....Morgan is now all for 'heroes' with racist pasts to be named and shamed :rolleyes:

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 13.31.56.png

Do cities like Minneapolis have a plan for what to do with the current cops once the department has been dismantled? I have basically two trains of thought about this:

1. Seems like mass layoffs of people working in the public sector could be economically destabilizing, even if it's deserved. I'm assuming pensions will be grandfathered in, so a lot of these guys will continue to be on the dole for quite some time, but only once they reach retirement. For some that might be soon, but for many, "ex-cop" may start looking pretty unattractive on a resume. What's the next best career for a police officer? What might some of the worst of them gravitate toward so that they can recreate the fraternity? What industry do we need to keep an eye on next to ensure this kind of corruption doesn't bleed through? What will prevent our 'bad apples' from being re-hired into different public capacities so that the racism is still in the system, just more diffuse (and presumably without the authorized use of force, which is huge)?

2. Further to the above, isn't taking a group of hyper-protective, vindictive, violent people like this, and suddenly putting them out of work, an extremely dangerous thing to do? How do we keep these people, whose numbers already contain plenty of overt racists, from further radicalizing once their identities as representatives of the state have been removed? If you cut off state sponsorship of a gang, do you need to worry about that gang retaliating? I'm just taking a guess here, but I would imagine that even if police were defunded nationwide, we'd see a sustained spike in stories of ex-cops killing people extra-judicially for quite some time. Easier to prosecute, maybe (assuming the ripple effect of defunding policing doesn't cripple prosecutors offices in the short term), but still devastating in terms of loss of life. It'd be a real irony if the defunding of police is the thing that ends up leading to gun control measures gaining more popularity, although the opposite will likely happen, this being America. I think I fear that we may trade police for an even more heavily armed citizenry.

None of those are reasons not to do it, and I assume people have already given this some thought, it's just a concept that I'm still wrapping my brain around.

Do cities like Minneapolis have a plan for what to do with the current cops once the department has been dismantled? I have basically two trains of thought about this:

1. Seems like mass layoffs of people working in the public sector could be economically destabilizing, even if it's deserved. I'm assuming pensions will be grandfathered in, so a lot of these guys will continue to be on the dole for quite some time, but only once they reach retirement. For some that might be soon, but for many, "ex-cop" may start looking pretty unattractive on a resume. What's the next best career for a police officer? What might some of the worst of them gravitate toward so that they can recreate the fraternity? What industry do we need to keep an eye on next to ensure this kind of corruption doesn't bleed through? What will prevent our 'bad apples' from being re-hired into different public capacities so that the racism is still in the system, just more diffuse (and presumably without the authorized use of force, which is huge)?

2. Further to the above, isn't taking a group of hyper-protective, vindictive, violent people like this, and suddenly putting them out of work, an extremely dangerous thing to do? How do we keep these people, whose numbers already contain plenty of overt racists, from further radicalizing once their identities as representatives of the state have been removed? If you cut off state sponsorship of a gang, do you need to worry about that gang retaliating? I'm just taking a guess here, but I would imagine that even if police were defunded nationwide, we'd see a sustained spike in stories of ex-cops killing people extra-judicially for quite some time. Easier to prosecute, maybe (assuming the ripple effect of defunding policing doesn't cripple prosecutors offices in the short term), but still devastating in terms of loss of life. It'd be a real irony if the defunding of police is the thing that ends up leading to gun control measures gaining more popularity, although the opposite will likely happen, this being America. I think I fear that we may trade police for an even more heavily armed citizenry.

None of those are reasons not to do it, and I assume people have already given this some thought, it's just a concept that I'm still wrapping my brain around.
I’ve been thinking about this as well and started reading The End of Policing last night to try to better understand those questions.

It’s worth noting that Camden, NJ disbanded their police department and overall it seems o have had a positive effect.

defunding the police isn’t a cure for racism or violence. But it’s a start. It’s insane the amount of money that the US invests into policing and with training programs like “killology” and the funding for military grade equipment, it’s no wonder why police feel empowered to do what they do. There is literally no reason for police departments to spend that kind of money especially when other services that could help prevent some of the root causes of crime are getting less and less money each year.

My wife and I attended a peaceful protest for BLM in our town yesterday. I'm not good at estimating crowds but I'd guess several hundred people in attendance. I was hoping there would be a speaker, but it was mostly marching up and down Main Street and other surrounding streets, through the park and fountain in the center of the city. The police blocked off intersections so the marchers could cross the main streets around town. We all knelt at City Hall for awhile as well. It was all very peaceful while I was there. I've lived in this town off and on my whole life, I was proud of my town and glad I went.

Back