Best recent AAA releases/reissues...

"We also had the record remastered from the original tapes by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound. He’s done a bunch of our direct tape remasters. Around this time, people were just starting to record to tape again; it’s sometimes hard to find albums from the late-’90s and early ’00s where the album was actually recorded to tape first. So we were super excited that the band had the original master tapes on this. So this is an all analog pressing."

If that’s the case then that’s the case!

It’s always sounded a lot to me like an album that’s been heavily worked on in a DAW (“recorded to tape first”) but apparently not!

Sunn O))) ‎– Life Metal

I see this was mentioned a while ago, but the search didn't pick it up...gonna listen to it when I get off work.

Last edited:
If that’s the case then that’s the case!

It’s always sounded a lot to me like an album that’s been heavily worked on in a DAW (“recorded to tape first”) but apparently not!

That turned out to be the case for Sunbather — recorded to tape, transferred digitally to Pro Tools for production work, then mixed on an Ampex machine. Can't imagine what an Albini-produced Deafheaven album would sound like.

That turned out to be the case for Sunbather — recorded to tape, transferred digitally to Pro Tools for production work, then mixed on an Ampex machine. Can't imagine what an Albini-produced Deafheaven album would sound like.
I’ve been thinking about how I’d go about using my old tape 4-track to do something similar...should maybe be putting the same thought energy into actually writing some music in the first place!

Is the Colemine stuff all AAA?

Nope. Colemine answered this on the Steve Hoffman forums a few months ago:

"I can't speak for Daptone, but I do know that JJ Golden cuts most of their lacquers. JJ does almost all of our mastering, but most of our lacquers are cut elsewhere.

None of our vinyl is AAA. Almost everything is recorded to tape (usually a Tascam 388), but most mixing and mastering is done in the digital realm.

Holler with any other questions!

-Bob"

Nope. Colemine answered this on the Steve Hoffman forums a few months ago:

"I can't speak for Daptone, but I do know that JJ Golden cuts most of their lacquers. JJ does almost all of our mastering, but most of our lacquers are cut elsewhere.

None of our vinyl is AAA. Almost everything is recorded to tape (usually a Tascam 388), but most mixing and mastering is done in the digital realm.

Holler with any other questions!

-Bob"
Thank you very much!

Does a list of places to buy AAA releases exist? I looked at Mofi and Analogue Productions' websites to see if there were any releases I was interested in, but I was wondering if there were more labels, series', or websites that I should check out for AAA releases specifically. I don't have any AAA releases and I'd like to grab something I know very well and already own, as a first test to see if my ears even notice a difference. The AP release of Norah Jones - Come Away With Me is what I was going to go with until I noticed it was backordered and went for high prices on discogs, so I'm assuming it's not coming back anytime soon. But I'm just looking for more websites that I can check to browse a bunch of AAA releases to pick which one I'd like to try out first.

Does a list of places to buy AAA releases exist? I looked at Mofi and Analogue Productions' websites to see if there were any releases I was interested in, but I was wondering if there were more labels, series', or websites that I should check out for AAA releases specifically. I don't have any AAA releases and I'd like to grab something I know very well and already own, as a first test to see if my ears even notice a difference. The AP release of Norah Jones - Come Away With Me is what I was going to go with until I noticed it was backordered and went for high prices on discogs, so I'm assuming it's not coming back anytime soon. But I'm just looking for more websites that I can check to browse a bunch of AAA releases to pick which one I'd like to try out first.
Speakers Corner is another website that carries AAA pressings. Not sure if there are any ways to sort out just those pressings though.

Just remember that those labels are audiophile rather than exclusively AAA. I don’t think anyone is exclusively AAA these days, although I’m open to correction. That said the likelihood of an audiophile release being AAA is much higher!

Here's a list that might get you started. Definitely an old fogey music taste bias in the titles on the list but still. Not all of the labels do everything AAA (Including Mofi and Analogue Productions) so it is always best to check.

Just remember that those labels are audiophile rather than exclusively AAA. I don’t think anyone is exclusively AAA these days, although I’m open to correction. That said the likelihood of an audiophile release being AAA is much higher!
I think you could say super specific ones like Music Matters are the exception to that. Maybe Intervention. Probably some other jazz/classical ones that I'm not sure about.

Here's a list that might get you started. Definitely an old fogey music taste bias in the titles on the list but still. Not all of the labels do everything AAA (Including Mofi and Analogue Productions) so it is always best to check.

Good list and off them the two Van Morrison come very highly recommended from over here, sound great, huge availability and they cost me less than €20 each new.

Last edited:
Damn, that was fast haha thanks a lot guys! Tons to check out now. I have the VMP version, so do you think I would hear a big difference between that and the Speaker's Corner all analog release?

Damn, that was fast haha thanks a lot guys! Tons to check out now. I have the VMP version, so do you think I would hear a big difference between that and the Speaker's Corner all analog release?

I don’t know the origin of the VMP to be totally honest but it’s a good sounding record, I probably wouldn’t be looking to upgrade something I already owned unless it wasn’t great or it was an album I loved so much I felt the need to.

Not sure. I don't see who mastered that one. The VMP one is supposedly AAA and mastered by Ryan Sterling.

I don’t know the origin of the VMP to be totally honest but it’s a good sounding record, I probably wouldn’t be looking to upgrade something I already owned unless it wasn’t great or it was an album I loved so much I felt the need to.

Cool, thanks! I'll look around for some others that I don't own.

Does anyone know the WB cut of Joni Mitchell's Blue he is referencing here?

Sunn O))) ‎– Life Metal

I see this was mentioned a while ago, but the search didn't pick it up...gonna listen to it when I get off work.

Why not listen to it at work at top volume?

I'm gonna listen to it on my way home.

Back