Best recent AAA releases/reissues...

BuyMeVinyl

A thread for those who like their records to be 100% analog. Let's avoid a discussion about analog vs. digital, and instead list our fave AAA releases from recent years as well as update this thread with new all-analog releases. Bonus points if you avoid the obvious MFSL and Analogue Production releases - widely affordable AAA is a wonderful thing.

I'll begin:

Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream (2017 - Impex)
Dr John - Gris Gris (2018 - Speakers Corner)
Love - Forever Changes (2012 - Rhino)
Neil Young - Harvest (2009 - Reprise)

Last edited:
I've purchased this The Famous Sound Of Three Blind Mice Vol. 1 compilation from Discogs almost a month ago and I am still waiting for it (DHL are really doing a great job with my parcel...). Anyway, it's a 2xLP limited edition (3000 copies worldwide), first time available on audiophile 180 gram Vinyl, 2xLP, pressed at RTI, cut by Chris Bellman, remastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering, released by Impex Records.

Side A
1. Aqua Marine - Isao Suzuki Quartet (from Blow Up, 1973)
2. Midnight Sugar - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio (from Midnight Sugar, 1974)

Side B
1. Midnight Sunrise - Tatsuya Takahashi & Tokyo Union (from Scandinavian Suite, 1977)
2. The Lady Is A Tramp - Ayako Hosokawa (from Mr. Wonderful, 1977)
3. La Fiesta - Toshiyuki Miyama & The New Herd (from New Herd, 1974)

Side C
1. The Way We Were - Yama & Jiro's Wave (from Girl Talk, 1976)
2. When A Man Loves A Woman - Takashi Mizuhashi Quartet (from Live In 5 Days In Jazz, 1974)
3. Alone Together - Masaru Imada & George Mraz (from Alone Together, 1977)

Side D
1. Willow Weep For Me - Shoji Yokouchi Trio + 1 (from Greensleeves, 1979)
2. Misty - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio (from Misty, 1974)

Last edited:
First off, great thread idea! From my very limited experience, AAA pressings have the potential to sound special, so I'm excited to learn about more. With that, I have to go with the VMP Al Green Call Me release. It's been well documented at that other place, but it really sounds incredible. I can only describe it as full of life. It makes we want to upgrade all my gear so I can wring everything out of it

First off, great thread idea! From my very limited experience, AAA pressings have the potential to sound special, so I'm excited to learn about more. With that, I have to go with the VMP Al Green Call Me release. It's been well documented at that other place, but it really sounds incredible. I can only describe it as full of life. It makes we want to upgrade all my gear so I can wring everything out of it

Thanks!

I actually swapped that record as I already have the AAA speakers corner reissue. I wonder if anyone has both and has compared the two?

I thought the AAA Loretta Lynn reissue was very good indeed.

I've purchased this The Famous Sound Of Three Blind Mice Vol. 1 compilation from Discogs almost a month ago and I am still waiting for it (DHL are really doing a great job with my parcel...). Anyway, it's a 2xLP limited edition (3000 copies worldwide), first time available on audiophile 180 gram Vinyl, 2xLP, pressed at RTI, cut by Chris Bellman, remastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering, released by Impex Records.

Side A

Side B
1. Midnight Sunrise - Tatsuya Takahashi & Tokyo Union (from Scandinavian Suite, 1977)

Side C
2. When A Man Loves A Woman - Takashi Mizuhashi Quartet (from Live In 5 Days In Jazz, 1974)

Side D

View attachment 231

Been looking at that record for a while. Impex have been consistently brilliant in my experience. I highly recommend their reissue of Friday Night In San Francisco.

Been looking at that record for a while. Impex have been consistently brilliant in my experience. I highly recommend their reissue of Friday Night In San Francisco.

Before it was Impex, it was Cisco Music. I believe the name changed when Sony bought them.
Anyways, I have Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up pressing by them and it is unreal.
Anything pressed by Cisco/Impex is a must as they are all top quality.
I have a number of other pressings by them but One Flight Up is so good and sadly, there isn't a really good pressing other than the Cisco one out there

Thanks!

I actually swapped that record as I already have the AAA speakers corner reissue. I wonder if anyone has both and has compared the two?

I thought the AAA Loretta Lynn reissue was very good indeed.

I have the Pure Pleasure versions of Al Green - Gets Next to You & Explores Your Mind. Both are amazing pressings.
They were also really really cheap for some reason (~$20 CAD)

The new Sunn O))) is certified AAA — it even has the marking on its OBI strip — and it sounds enormous. Just the kind of drone metal you'd expect from them. Pure depth and adventurousness.

I might be wrong about this, but I believe the majority of Rhino reissues are AAA as well, so that would include Television's Marquee Moon and Joni Mitchell's Blue, both pressings which have been lauded all over (the former reissue sounds incredibly lively).

Some of my favorite AAA titles that are widely available and fairly cheap (~$25 or less) - no particular order:

1. Dave Matthews Band - Crash (mastered/cut by Chris Bellman, pressed at MPO
2. Van Morrison - Moondance (mastered/cut by Keving Gray & Steve Hoffman, pressed at RTI)
3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (mastered/cut by Keving Gray & Steve Hoffman, pressed at RTI)
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (mastered/cut by ???, pressed at Record Industry)
5. Nirvana - Nevermind (mastered/cut by Bernie Grundman, pressed at Pallas)
6. Blind Melon - Soup (Analog Spark release, cut by Kevin Gray, pressed at RTI)
7. Dire Straits (most of their catalog, from the '09/'10 remasters, cut by Grundman; pressed at Pallas)
8. The Beatles (2014 mono releases, mastered by Sean Magee; pressed at Optimal - pick these up while you can, some are OOP)
9. Van Halen (1, II, and 1984 were all cut from tape for the 2015 remasters - Bellman cut; pressed at Record Industry)
10. Jimi Hendrix (Experienced, Electric Ladyland, and Axis: Bold as Love - a mix of Grundman & Marino, pressed at QRP & RTI - these are the "Authorized Hendrix Family Editions")

Some of my favorite AAA titles that are widely available and fairly cheap (~$25 or less) - no particular order:

1. Dave Matthews Band - Crash (mastered/cut by Chris Bellman, pressed at MPO
2. Van Morrison - Moondance (mastered/cut by Keving Gray & Steve Hoffman, pressed at RTI)
3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (mastered/cut by Keving Gray & Steve Hoffman, pressed at RTI)
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (mastered/cut by ???, pressed at Record Industry)
5. Nirvana - Nevermind (mastered/cut by Bernie Grundman, pressed at Pallas)
6. Blind Melon - Soup (Analog Spark release, cut by Kevin Gray, pressed at RTI)
7. Dire Straits (most of their catalog, from the '09/'10 remasters, cut by Grundman; pressed at Pallas)
8. The Beatles (2014 mono releases, mastered by Sean Magee; pressed at Optimal - pick these up while you can, some are OOP)
9. Van Halen (1, II, and 1984 were all cut from tape for the 2015 remasters - Bellman cut; pressed at Record Industry)
10. Jimi Hendrix (Experienced, Electric Ladyland, and Axis: Bold as Love - a mix of Grundman & Marino, pressed at QRP & RTI - these are the "Authorized Hendrix Family Editions")

You sure that dire straits record was cut directly from tape? I thought it was just mastered as such.

You sure that dire straits record was cut directly from tape? I thought it was just mastered as such.

Yeah, it was cut AAA. Grundman rarely will master from tape to hi-res digital to cut from. Generally if he has access to tape, he keeps an AAA chain. There's few examples otherwise, but it's fair general rule.

The newest record I think I cared enough to buy or in the process of buying wasss

Jpeg Mafia - Veteran.

But I dont think its all that new.
I loved the insane production. Its like my ears are getting $$$$$$ from all different directions.
Its just so different and interesting to me.

Yeah, it was cut AAA. Grundman rarely will master from tape to hi-res digital to cut from. Generally if he has access to tape, he keeps an AAA chain. There's few examples otherwise, but it's fair general rule.

I hate to break it to you but Brothers in Arms was originally recorded in digital so it can only ever be DDA or DDD!

I hate to break it to you but Brothers in Arms was originally recorded in digital so it can only ever be DDA or DDD!

Sorry I was referring to the Self Titled, as well as Love over Gold, Making Movies, and Communique (I should have specified when I said "most" of their catalog)

BIA was one of the first major releases to be recorded digital and a great example of the potential of digital (unfortunately the loudness wars weren't too far off in the distance)

Sorry I was referring to the Self Titled, as well as Love over Gold, Making Movies, and Communique (I should have specified when I said "most" of their catalog)

BIA was one of the first major releases to be recorded digital and a great example of the potential of digital (unfortunately the loudness wars weren't too far off in the distance)

Honest I don’t agree with you. Early PCM Recordings like it were dire! The reason that sounds half decent (objectively, I hate the music lol) is because when they first digitally mixed the digital recordings they were horrified. They went back and put those original recordings through an analogue filter and they sounded much better when they mixed them digitally.

PCM Recordings became so so much better as time has passed because the equipment and the understanding of how to use it got much better. The loudness wars weren’t an issue with the format, more with the producers and the record companies...

Last edited:

Side A

Side B

Side C

Side D

View attachment 231
Howwwwwwww did I miss this?!?!? Going to hunt a copy down now, cheers as always @Skalap

All the Tone Poet series are great. Good values for hi-end jazz reissues. This Joe Henderson just blew me away.

Edit: Dark Star Boogie correctly points out below that this is the only Tone Poet reissue that is NOT AAA. So still highly recommended like all the Tone Poet but this one title not AAA as it was an original digital master.

Last edited:
Honest I don’t agree with you. Early PCM Recordings like it we’re dire! The reason that sounds half decent (objectively, I hate the music lol) is because when they first digitally mixed the digital recordings they were horrified. They went back and put those original recordings through an analogue filter and they sounded much better when they mixed them digitally.

PCM Recordings because so so much better as time has passed because the equipment and the understanding of how to use it got much better. The loudness wars weren’t an issue with the format, more with the producers and the record companies...

Right but the issue was in the mixing, not the recording, no? And that's of course what we saw with loudness wars and crippling of dynamic range not too long after. But as much as I am a vinyl/analog guy, I can't deny that digital has every bit of POTENTIAL (read: not always in practice) to be superior.

I do agree with what you said about BIA as an album and music. It sounds incredibly dated and very fixed to that era of rock. Compared to the others on the catalog that have aged much better

Right but the issue was in the mixing, not the recording, no? And that's of course what we saw with loudness wars and crippling of dynamic range not too long after. But as much as I am a vinyl/analog guy, I can't deny that digital has every bit of POTENTIAL (read: not always in practice) to be superior.

I do agree with what you said about BIA as an album and music. It sounds incredibly dated and very fixed to that era of rock. Compared to the others on the catalog that have aged much better

With the loudness wars the issue was 100% with the mixing. With early PCM recordings (probably up until late 80s) the issue was the initial recordings just weren’t that good. That’s why they went back and put them back through Analogue filters before the mix for that album.

Oh yeah digital has great potential and to be honest it’s so much more affordable that I’ll never fully divorce myself from it, I’ll always run dual collections but with vinyl as my main focus. The killer though is that DSD was canned by Sony because it didn’t take off because the priced the licences out of reach. I know that PS Audio are building a DSD studio/label but that’s hardly going to bring normal music on DSD to the masses haha!

Back