Best recent AAA releases/reissues...

https://blog.discogs.com/en/aaa-analog-mastering-process/

In this article, VMP says that all Classics from May on will be AAA but that many previous titles were also AAA. Has anyone obtained a list of those titles?

You can't go by "mastered from the Analog tapes" because often times they are mastering from analog into digital then cutting like on Big Bill Broonzy. See below:

So far these three releases were AAA, cut at Sterling Sound and pressed at QRP :

I have the first two, and they sound amazing.

Is Sundazed AAA? Does anyone know anything about them? I'm looking at their Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul pressing that says "This exact reproduction of this original Stax label LP is mastered from the original mono tapes and pressed on pristine High-Definition vinyl." and trying to determine if it's worth picking that up over the beautiful turquoise one haha I'm definitely a sound over looks guy, but I don't want to grab the Sundazed if they sound the same. On Discogs this is listed as a 2001 release, but it's still available most places I've looked it seems.

Is Sundazed AAA? Does anyone know anything about them? I'm looking at their Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul pressing that says "This exact reproduction of this original Stax label LP is mastered from the original mono tapes and pressed on pristine High-Definition vinyl." and trying to determine if it's worth picking that up over the beautiful turquoise one haha I'm definitely a sound over looks guy, but I don't want to grab the Sundazed if they sound the same. On Discogs this is listed as a 2001 release, but it's still available most places I've looked it seems.
It sounds like that one might be and also is a Kevin Gray cut, but i'm having a hard time finding more than a couple mentions, to be absolutely sure. KG isn't listed on that discogs listing, but someone says they have a KG over at stevehoffman.tv. Fremer mentions it as AAA in passing in an analogplanet article about a $2000 mono cartridge from 2001. It sounds like it is well regarded at least

Not all Sundazed are AAA. There's also some weird stuff that goes on with some of Sundazed releases, even if they say from the original tapes. I remember reading that the Safe as Milk mono is mostly a needledrop of an original with some fold-downs of the stereo mix. Some people seemed happy with how it sounded but it was a complete misrepresentation at best. I'd try to research any pressings you're interested in individually at sh.tv or something before I bought blindly personally.

It sounds like that one might be and also is a Kevin Gray cut, but i'm having a hard time finding more than a couple mentions, to be absolutely sure. KG isn't listed on that discogs listing, but someone says they have a KG over at stevehoffman.tv. Fremer mentions it as AAA in passing in an analogplanet article about a $2000 mono cartridge from 2001. It sounds like it is well regarded at least

Not all Sundazed are AAA. There's also some weird stuff that goes on with some of Sundazed releases, even if they say from the original tapes. I remember reading that the Safe as Milk mono is mostly a needledrop of an original with some fold-downs of the stereo mix. Some people seemed happy with how it sounded but it was a complete misrepresentation at best. I'd try to research any pressings you're interested in individually at sh.tv or something before I bought blindly personally.

Wow, I can't believe you found all of that information that quickly haha. I think I'm going to go for the Sundazed version then. Thank you for the insight and I'll definitely be sure to check out SH when I have other questions like this. Thanks!

Back