Best recent AAA releases/reissues...

More!

The 2015 Analogue Productions edition of Pet Sounds, but specifically the mono version, which is the only AAA version (the true stereo pressings were digitally remixed in the 90s). It's by an audiophile label, but the price isn't that much higher from most Mondo pressings. There's a 2xLP, 45rpm version of this, which some swear to be better than the 1LP version, but I'm more than satisfied with my copy.

I'm not sure if newer pressings use the same cut, but this release of The White Stripes' Elephant uses plates which, to my knowledge, were cut directly from analog tapes. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't own this, but it seems Shellac's last album Dude Incredible was AAA as well, and easily available for an affordable price.

With the loudness wars the issue was 100% with the mixing. With early PCM recordings (probably up until late 80s) the issue was the initial recordings just weren’t that good. That’s why they went back and put them back through Analogue filters before the mix for that album.

Ah, I see what you mean now - thanks!

Oh yeah digital has great potential and to be honest it’s so much more affordable that I’ll never fully divorce myself from it, I’ll always run dual collections but with vinyl as my main focus. The killer though is that DSD was canned by Sony because it didn’t take off because the priced the licences out of reach. I know that PS Audio are building a DSD studio/label but that’s hardly going to bring normal music on DSD to the masses haha!

The bold is where I'm at too (y)

More!

The 2015 Analogue Productions edition of Pet Sounds, but specifically the mono version, which is the only AAA version (the true stereo pressings were digitally remixed in the 90s). It's by an audiophile label, but the price isn't that much higher from most Mondo pressings. There's a 2xLP, 45rpm version of this, which some swear to be better than the 1LP version, but I'm more than satisfied with my copy.

I'm not sure if newer pressings use the same cut, but this release of The White Stripes' Elephant uses plates which, to my knowledge, were cut directly from analog tapes. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't own this, but it seems Shellac's last album Dude Incredible was AAA as well, and easily available for an affordable price.
That's good to know about the Pet Sounds mono version being the only AAA version. I've been eyeing both mono and stereo and not fully understandin which was superior. Now I know! Thanks!

The new Sunn O))) is certified AAA — it even has the marking on its OBI strip — and it sounds enormous. Just the kind of drone metal you'd expect from them. Pure depth and adventurousness.

View attachment 336

I might be wrong about this, but I believe the majority of Rhino reissues are AAA as well, so that would include Television's Marquee Moon and Joni Mitchell's Blue, both pressings which have been lauded all over (the former reissue sounds incredibly lively).
I don't think it is the majority but they slip them in there at the same price, so it is always worth checking. They do a pretty good job generally either way though.

Really. This was the Tone Poet that was from a digital master? Great sounding lp regardless. Now the question I have to ask myself would I have been as impressed by the sound had I not thought it was AAA. 🤔
I remember someone saying that Henderson was the only one that wasn’t going to be AAA when the Tone Poet hype was growing before any of the releases, but it’d be nice to get a confirmation from someone.

And, if it sounds great, it sounds great.

Yes. I have a special place in my heart for albums that were originally recorded in analog to remain that way. That said I fully realize there is more than one path to making a great sounding record.

You can bet I will double check the next one I post here. No worries.

Yes. I have a special place in my heart for albums that were originally recorded in analog to remain that way. That said I fully realize there is more than one path to making a great sounding record.

I wasn’t trying to call you out or anything of that nature, was just for your own knowledge. My apologies if it came across that way.

But now I will seek out evidence.

Found this on the Steve Hoffman forums—
nOlm4aS.jpg

Found this on the Steve Hoffman forums—
nOlm4aS.jpg

Yes. You are right. I went and checked it out. I knew one was from digital but I thought it was Wilson. So, Not the right record for this thread BUT it is highly recommended. I bet hi-res sounds good also. The vinyl is awesome.

My main music room system right now is almost completely centered on vinyl but that is only because I don’t have the funds to upgrade everything at one time. :). Love my vinyl but I have also been dreaming of a streaming DAC but that’s also a subject for another thread. So lets stay on topic.

Back