Best Music of 2021

Yeah, this one really floored me too!
Glad this album has gotten some other attention! It deserves it
I listened to this one on Sunday while working, will listen again. Positive marks from me on first impression.
I'm two full listens in tonight. Still taking it all in.. I was just thinking earlier today about how little rap/hip-hop I've enjoyed this year and then this just drops into my lap this evening 😅

Glad this album has gotten some other attention! It deserves it

I'm two full listens in tonight. Still taking it all in.. I was just thinking earlier today about how little rap/hip-hop I've enjoyed this year and then this just drops into my lap this evening 😅
Between this, Czarface/MF DOOM and L'Orange it was a great week for hip hop that I liked after also having been very underwhelmed by the year thus far.

Feel like the new St. Vincent is the first album I've gotten addicted to all year.

Others I've really enjoyed:
Ghetts: Conflicts of Interest
Bicep: Isles
Tune-Yards: Sketchy.
Iceage: Seek Shelter
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra: Promises
Noga Erez: Kids

And liked but fallen off of:
Weather Station: Ignorance
Julien Baker: Little Oblivions
Brockhampton: Roadrunner

Been doing my typical thing of checking Album of the Year every Friday without much else clicking. On pace to be easily my least favorite year for music since the first couple years of last decade.

So I figured I should turn up here asking for recs. Know at least a couple of you know my taste well. (And yes, I'm gonna dig through this thread later tonight ;) @Rip_City

Last edited:
Feel like the new St. Vincent is the first album I've gotten addicted to all year.

Others I've really enjoyed:
Ghetts: Conflicts of Interest
Bicep: Isles
Tune-Yards: Sketchy.
Iceage: Seek Shelter
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra: Promises
Noga Erez: Kids

And liked but fallen off of:
Weather Station: Ignorance
Julien Baker: Little Oblivions
Brockhampton: Roadrunner

Been doing my typical thing of checking Album of the Year every Friday without much else clicking. On pace to be easily my least favorite year for music since the first couple years of last decade.

So I figured I should turn up here asking for recs. Know at least a couple of you know my taste well. (And yes, I'm gonna dig through this thread later tonight ;) @Rip_City

Perhaps I could provide some, although based on you checking out AlbumOfTheYear each week, you may already be aware of these:

Lost Girls - Menneskekollektivet [ambient house, spoken word, art pop] (because you like Kelly Lee Owens, Jenny Hval)
Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth [experimental R&B, neo-soul] (because you like Billy Woods, D'Angelo, Yves Tumor)
Danielle Durack - No Place [singer-songwriter, indie pop] (because you like Phoebe Bridgers, soccer mommy, Julien Baker)
Sons of Kemet - Black to the Future [nu-jazz, spiritual jazz] (because you like The Comet is Coming, Moses Boyd)
CHANCE デラソウル - Afterparty [plunderphonics, future funk] (because you like The Avalanches)

I'm also going to venture on an educated guess: Although I see Iceage - Seek Shelter resides among your favorites, you did not enjoy other post-punk offerings from the likes of Dry Cleaning, Squid, and Black Country, New Road. I will forgo those suggestions, even if I may enjoy the latter two very much so.

Been a little bit but here’s some more music that’s come out this year that I love

black midi - Cavalcade (Avant-Prog)

Erika de Casier - Sensational (Contemporary R&B)

Doss - 4 New Hit Songs (House)

Squid - Bright Green Field (Art Punk)

Last edited:
Been a little bit but here’s some more music that’s come out this year that I love

black midi - Cavalcade (Avant-rog)

Black MIDI and Squid, but no Black Country, New Road?

black midi - Cavalcade (Avant-Prog)

A little surprised by the slow songs with more conventional singing on Cavalcade and really enjoying them and the album.

Have to give the hat tip to Stereogum because this is an awesome find.

RIYL: Converge breakdowns

Back