Best Music of 2021

The fact that I've only listen to 4 and a half albums this year is starting to get to me lol

Usually I have a super solid AOTY pick at this point but so far the highest I've rated am album has been 75. And this month isnt looking too exciting for me. Dont know if it's just because the genres I like havent had a big release yet that or if this is just a meh year so far

The fact that I've only listen to 4 and a half albums this year is starting to get to me lol

Usually I have a super solid AOTY pick at this point but so far the highest I've rated am album has been 75. And this month isnt looking too exciting for me. Dont know if it's just because the genres I like havent had a big release yet that or if this is just a meh year so far
I am in the exact same boat 😭 my motivation to check out new music has been at an all-time low this year and I don't know why. Last year was filled to the brim with great albums but I've just not been feeling it this year 🤕 I think my favorite album I've actually listened to this year is either Brockhampton or Sad Night Dynamite and tbh I don't even think either of them are up to the quality of my favorite albums last year at all. Hopefully we both come out of our music doldrums soon 💙

I am in the exact same boat 😭 my motivation to check out new music has been at an all-time low this year and I don't know why. Last year was filled to the brim with great albums but I've just not been feeling it this year 🤕 I think my favorite album I've actually listened to this year is either Brockhampton or Sad Night Dynamite and tbh I don't even think either of them are up to the quality of my favorite albums last year at all. Hopefully we both come out of our music doldrums soon 💙
For me it's been the complete opposite this year. I think I've never checked out as many new releases as this year in all my life. Looking for what albums by interesting artists are upcoming and posting about them each Thursday in the New Music Friday thread has proved to be tremendously helpful for me. I check out about 10 to 20 new albums each week, actually most albums I put on my list and most recommendations by others.

That being said, I think that indeed in certain genres, for instance Pop, there haven't been that many really great new releases so far.

For me it's been the complete opposite this year. I think I've never checked out as many new releases as this year in all my life. Looking for what albums by interesting artists are upcoming and posting about them each Thursday in the New Music Friday thread has proved to be tremendously helpful for me. I check out about 10 to 20 new albums each week, actually most albums I put on my list and most recommendations by others.
My feelings and actions exactly.

That being said, I think that indeed in certain genres, for instance Pop, there haven't been that many really great new releases so far.
You all want a great indie pop R&B dance record...check out Alfie Templeton's Forever Isn't Long Enough! The album is full of bangers 🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:

Yup I've also felt lethargic about checking out new music. I also said a few weeks ago that bands are reluctant to release new music if they're unsure about touring behind it. Whereas most of the 2020 releases were planned well in advance of the pandemic with the expectation that it'd be a normal year.
This year has been really lacking so far with new releases IMO. There hasn't been anything that I've liked a lot so far enough to make a top list. By this time last year I had at least 5 or 6 extremely solid releases that ended up being on my year end favorites. Those albums from this time last year were planned and released pre-pandemic. I wonder if the pandemic is causing delays with some bands/artists not wanting to do anything until much later in the year or next year.

You all want a great indie pop R&B dance record...check out Alfie Templeton's Forever Isn't Long Enoug! The album is full of bangers 🔥🔥🔥
I know Alfie Templeman from his earlier EPs (for instance "Happiness in liquid form" ) and really love his music. I haven't had time yet to checkout his album, but I'm really sure it'll be very good and very happy to see you enjoying it. :)

Yeah I had a feeling this year would be slower but I certainly did not imagine it being like this. Glad to know I'm not alone feeling this

Ashnikko is currently my AOTY and while I like it, it's not an album that like excites me.

I have a few albums I'm looking forward to (st Vincent, marina, and silk sonic) but even them I'm not like eagerly waiting for lol

Yeah I had a feeling this year would be slower but I certainly did not imagine it being like this. Glad to know I'm not alone feeling this

Ashnikko is currently my AOTY and while I like it, it's not an album that like excites me.

I have a few albums I'm looking forward to (st Vincent, marina, and silk sonic) but even them I'm not like eagerly waiting for lol
I will say I'm kind of pumped for the Marina album, "Purge the Poison" is probs my SOTY so far so if the rest of the album is up to that quality I will probably love it. But for the most part, I'm with you, not many releases that I know of that I am very excited for. I just need to do better with discovering new music, I think

Just discovered this amazing rap/hip-hop album on Bandcamp: McKinley Dixon - For My Mama and Anyone Who Look Like Her. The rap/hip-hop scene has been pretty quiet for me in 2021. This album just dropped this past Friday. In a nutshell: this is the rap/hip-hop album that sets the bar for the year. What a fantastic album, and definitely one of my top albums of the year so far!

Just discovered this amazing rap/hip-hop album on Bandcamp: McKinley Dixon - For My Mama and Anyone Who Look Like Her. The rap/hip-hop scene has been pretty quiet for me in 2021. This album just dropped this past Friday. In a nutshell: this is the rap/hip-hop album that sets the bar for the year. What a fantastic album, and definitely one of my top albums of the year so far!

Yeah, this one really floored me too!

I listened to this one on Sunday while working, will listen again. Positive marks from me on first impression.

Back