Best Music of 2020

I'm just posting so I get notifications, because I'm trying to be better about keeping up with new music this year so I don't end up marathon listening to one album after another at the end of the year to try to come up with a ranking.

Anyway yeah I'm pumped for Moses...and new Destroyer

So far there arent really any singles that have me super hyped for anything yet. Based off singles Im most excited for Dua Lipa and The Weeknd. But even these im feeling kinda meh about

Now on stuff thats supposedly coming out that we dont have any concrete info on yet but im phsyched for are:

Father John Misty
Lana Del Rey
St Vincent
Cardi B
Kendrick Lamar
Megan thee Stallion
Car Seat Headrest
King Gizzard

What albums are you most looking forward to?

Im honestly looking forward to hopefully a quiet year out of the Gizz camp. With them marking these Marathon shows as songs from all 15 albums I’m guessing we won’t see a new one until at least after May. On that note I do hope these Marathon shows are being recorded/videotaped for a live album/movie.

MMJ, MGMT, RTJ, Crimeapple. Orphans of Doom, Elder, Khemmis, Gruesome, Ab-Soul, Reason...

Oh yeah... and Griselda.

I’ve got a few more things I want to listen to this week, but Alexandra Savior is my favorite of the year so far. Would also recommend the David Keenan album, especially for fans of stuff like Van Morrison and Glen Hansard. @Joe Mac should definitely check that one out.

I’ve got a few more things I want to listen to this week, but Alexandra Savior is my favorite of the year so far. Would also recommend the David Keenan album, especially for fans of stuff like Van Morrison and Glen Hansard. @Joe Mac shoukd definitely check that one out.

Haha! I’m on a vinyl diet and you keep recommending things to me 😂

Thanks though! I’ll add them both (I’d been meaning to check out Alexandra Savior for a while with the whole Alex Turner connection) to the list of things you’ve recommended to me, that i more than trust I’ll like, but haven’t gotten around to you lol!

Haha! I’m on a vinyl diet and you keep recommending things to me 😂

Thanks though! I’ll add them both (I’d been meaning to check out Alexandra Savior for a while with the whole Alex Turner connection) to the list of things you’ve recommended to me, that i more than trust I’ll like, but haven’t gotten around to you lol!
So one thing I took away from last year, is I don’t need everything I like on vinyl. Little Simz was a top twenty record for me, but the vinyl would almost never get spun because my wife doesn’t dig it. So... that’s what other media are for...

So one thing I took away from last year, is I don’t need everything I like on vinyl. Little Simz was a top twenty record for me, but the vinyl would almost never get spun because my wife doesn’t dig it. So... that’s what other media are for...

Yeah this is true. I’ve been buying more CDs in the last year, particularly for pop music, than I had in the two or three years previous. I try to use Qobuz more and more now I have it too. There is also the problem of backlog. Those unspun records and CDs on my shelf give me guilt enough that I don’t stream anywhere near as much as I intend to!

Last edited:
This is a great point, but just as a counterpoint, I also love my all-analog chain headphones.

This is a great point, but just as a counterpoint, I also love my all-analog chain headphones.

Counter counterpoint, it’s not necessarily even all about that. I tend to go digital for music that’s not necessarily my very favourite but that I still like because vinyl is more expensive and it allows me to save money to spend on the albums that really benefit from being on vinyl. The less likely I am to spin it regularly, or the less impact a vinyl press will make, the more likely I am to buy a CD/SACD or Hi Res Stream.

Counter counterpoint, it’s not necessarily even all about that. I tend to go digital for music that’s not necessarily my very favourite but that I still like because vinyl is more expensive and it allows me to save money to spend on the albums that really benefit from being on vinyl. The less likely I am to spin it regularly, or the less impact a vinyl press will make, the more likely I am to buy a CD/SACD or Hi Res Stream.
I think that's a great plan, and Lee's method is good too, just wanted to provide an alternative that I use to solve the wife doesn't dig it problem when I love an album. Lately buying less is an option I should exercise more often as well.

Less than 2 weeks into 2020 and there have already been 2 albums I love!

The first is THIS DOES NOT EXIST by Lil Darkie. A lot of people seem to hate it and a lot seem to like it. I love it. It’s fun, crazy, and cartoonish experimental hip hop. Darkie’s delivery and flows are absolutely mental.

The second is SHOPPING MUSIC. by Rural Internet. I discovered this album by chance while browsing RYM. It blends so many genres in just six songs, including cloud rap, space rock, drone metal, and experimental hip hop to name a few. Its definitely an experience and I recommend this completely.

Back