Best Music of 2020

Basia Bulat's newest deserves a mention in any best of discussion. Give it a try!

COVID-19 has both delayed shipment of my copy of the new album and indefinitely postponed her show in town that was going to be April 18. I did get to see her played a few songs in January at a taping for a live music TV show for a French Canadian network though. She's one of my absolute favourites in Canada.

2020 Q1 Favorites

1. Jeff Parker - Suite for Max Brown
2. Disq - Collector
3. Bonny Light Horseman - Bonny Light Horseman
4. The Wants - Container
5. Shabaka & the Ancestors - We Are Sent Here by History
6. Caribou - Suddenly
7. Porridge Radio - Every Bad
8. Monophonics - It's Only Us
9. Drive-By Truckers - The Unraveling
10. Nada Surf - Never Not Together
11. Cable Ties - Far Enough
12. Alexandra Savior - The Archer
13. Destroyer - Have We Met
14. Black Market Brass - Undying Thirst
15. Makayah McCravin and Gil Scott Heron- Were New Again
16. Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
17. Caroline Rose - Superstar
18. Facs - Void Moments
19. Wolf Parade - Thin Mind
20. Jungle Fire - Jungle Fire

2020 Q1 top 20:

OrderArtistAlbumNationality
1​
Tame ImpalaThe Slow RushOztrayan
2​
Yves TumorHeaven to a Tortured MindAmerican
3​
070 ShakeModus VivendiAmerican
4​
Christine and the QueensLa vita nuovaFrench
5​
ThundercatIt Is What It IsAmerican
6​
Katie PruittExpectationsAmerican
7​
Caroline RoseSuperstarAmerican
8​
#1 DadsGolden RepairOztrayan
9​
Stephen MalkmusTraditional TechniquesAmerican
10​
Soccer MommyColor TheoryAmerican
11​
Shabaka and the AncestorsWe Are Sent Here By HistoryCosmopolitan
12​
Moses SumneyGrae Part 1American
13​
WaxahatcheeSaint CloudAmerican
14​
Dua LipaFuture NostalgiaEnglish
15​
CornershopEngland is a GardenEnglish
16​
Porridge RadioEvery BadEnglish
17​
GeorgiaSeeking ThrillsEnglish
18​
GrimesMiss AnthropoceneCanadian
19​
Pearl JamGigatonAmerican
20​
Four TetSixteen OceansEnglish

probably way over-rating yves tumor based on three or so listens but thought it was super-impressive

add me to the 'waxahatchee is great but not mindblowing' list

new laura marling album rush-released this friday followed by new fiona apple album next friday - the kinda release schedule i can dig
I'm pretty underwhelmed with 2020 releases so far. There's been some good albums but still not a single one I'd consider essential for my collection. Hope Laura/Fiona are going to chance that; since I like both a lot I'd say chances are pretty good.

Agree on Waxahatchee; I can't really get into this record and I'm not motivated to even try anymore. But I've been struggling ever since she released "Fire", her vocals on that track really somehow put me off the whole project.

Here's Bandcamp's list for the best music of the last 3 months. A lot of albums I enjoyed on here, as well as a bunch that I missed and will be checking out soon.

Cheers for posting this. Ordered Frank and His Sisters because of that list. FYI UK people it's 14.99 plus shipping on Juno.

• Cheers
Reactions: Tj.
This most definitely will not be for everyone, but going on only one listen, this album will likely be getting a lot of listens from me. I believe I once described this duo to @Teeeee once as if "early Kesha was a goth making noise pop" so if that description appeals to you at all, this is to me their most realized and well executed project yet

This Strokes album is bang average. It's got some catchy tunes that sound a little like the Killers but some other songs *cough*Eternal Summer*cough* are extremely annoying. TBF I have not listened to a single Strokes album since First Impressions of Earth, so my basis is high.

Dear god the new Fiona has me hooked. When the Pawn is a defining album of my freshman year of college (which was actually the year Extraodinary Machine came out), but I could not get into Idler Wheel for the life of me.

In contrast, I'd say I've listened to 10 hours of Fiona since this dropped. I'm on round 6, and would say this is the most addicted I've been to exploring an album since American Dream dropped in 2017 (though to be fair, I did listen to a shit tone of Miss Anthroposcene when it leaked last December). I, in particular, adore Newspaper and Heavy Balloon.

Last edited:
Back