3. The National - First Two Pages of Frankenstein
4. boygenius - the record
5. Gorillaz - Cracker Island
6. Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World
7. Complete Mountain Almanac - S/T
8. Protomartyr - Formal Growth in the Desert
9. Bully - Lucky for You
10. WITCH - Zango
11. Kevin Morby - More Photographs (A Continuum)

for now, a tier down/more time needed, I've got Margo Price, shame, Atmosphere, Tennis, Caroline Rose, Durand Jones, Arlo Parks (also a sophomore slump?)

also assuming spots by end June for the new Queens of the Stone Age, Killer Mike and bdrmm albums
We are different in that regard. I enjoy both the most recent Shame record and the last Iceage album a great deal. No band is gonna consistently make the same album over and over again successfully outside of AC/DC. I appreciate them exploring other venues even if they aren’t as successful overall I would rather listen to something different than another version of the same thing after 3 or 4 albums why not take a chance. There is more of a reason for me to pull Iceage’s most recent album then their 4th best post punk album.

@TenderLovingKiller® I really liked the new Shame after being lukewarm towards Drunk Tank... despite being big Sonic Youth guy. First one is probably still my favorite though.

And in general, I totally agree. There is a reason that Radiohead, Kendrick and Bowie are among my favorite artists-- they never sit / sat still.

Really enjoying The Murder Capitol album @cbl .

Last edited:
The new Killer Mike is top fucking notch. Lots of soul samples and an old school Atlanta vibe. But also, I got sent this earlier today and really enjoyed it:

Well, with ongaku (音楽) meaning "music" in Japanese...I'll have to try. Thank you.
Really liking what I am hearing.

I haven't listened to as many new music releases this year as usually, yet. Some of the new releases had been quite good, but I haven't seen many being very good or excellent this year (as in 2021 for instance). What albums this year would you say are very good or excellent so far? What would you recommend?

I haven't listened to as many new music releases this year as usually, yet. Some of the new releases had been quite good, but I haven't seen many being very good or excellent this year (as in 2021 for instance). What albums this year would you say are very good or excellent so far? What would you recommend?
There's a number of great albums that was released this year including boygenius, Caroline Polachek, Lana Del Rey, Yves Tumor, Young Fathers, Kalela, and just yesterday Sigur Rós and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard to name but a few...

What albums this year would you say are very good or excellent so far? What would you recommend?
Based on how I understand your tastes as we have some overlap, I'll recommend ten (@Hollywood already got a few of these):
  • 100 gecs - 10000 gecs
  • Sabrina Claudio - Archives & Lullabies
  • DEBBY FRIDAY - Good Luck
  • Decisive Pink - Ticket to Fame
  • Kelela - Raven
  • Lankum - False Lankum
  • Paramore - This is Why
  • Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want to Turn Into You
  • RAYE - My 21st Century Blues [highest recommendation out of these]
  • Susanne Sundfør - blomi
Can't remember if you liked some of those already.

The Lemon Twigs - Everything Harmony

There's a number of great albums that was released this year including boygenius, Caroline Polachek, Lana Del Rey, Yves Tumor, Young Fathers, Kalela, and just yesterday Sigur Rós and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard to name but a few...

Based on how I understand your tastes as we have some overlap, I'll recommend ten (@Hollywood already got a few of these):
  • 100 gecs - 10000 gecs
  • Kelela - Raven
  • Lankum - False Lankum
  • Paramore - This is Why
From these two lists, I recommend Young Fathers and Kalela.

Honestly I’m kinda with you. I have a handful I enjoy, but it’s nothing compared to the previous few years. Not many of the ones I like match the peak of even last year. And the ones this year I rate highly are not likely to be on many lists. Personally I do love the new Paramore, Daughter, and more recently Bully. Wednesday has been the biggest surprise. And part of me will throw Little Simz into the mix even though it came out in December. It was too late for me last year, but I wanna shout it out cause it’s really good.

Look no further 😉⬇️⬇️

Favourite albums of 2023 Jan - May: Best Music 🎵 of 2023!

And for June so far, I'm loving the new King Gizzard, McKinley Dixon, and Killer Mike albums. Also, the new Foo Fighters is their best in over a decade.

I feel like I need to speak up here for Eye of I by James Brandon Lewis.

• 100 gecs - 10000 gecs
  • Kelela - Raven
  • Lankum - False Lankum
  • Paramore - This is Why
I somehow completely forgot about Susanne Sundfør! That was a very good album 👍

Back