Best Music 🎵 of 2023!

I've cleared my 2023 queue for a minute so these are lined up for this week!
Just a tiny bit of background Redo The Stacks was his debut, it’s basically a solo album and fairly Lo-Fi in comparison to what followed but it’s still really good just not super representative of what followed.
South San Gabriel was Will’s Mellower side project but TBH, it’s pretty tough to know where Centro-matic ends and South San Gabriel begins. They even released the double album Dual Eagle which is half Centro-matic and half South San Gabriel and all awesome.

They went from a life-changing, DNA-altering debut in '21 to a unequivocal sophomore slump. I feel broken.
Shame, Squid, BC,NR (let's be honest, the live album is a step down compared to AFUT) all realeasing duds. At least the new Murder Capital album is good, Fontaines D.C. are still consistent from each album so far, Protomatyr, the scene OGs, are still going strong. I think someone needs to come out with something fresh because everything in thise scene/genre is going stale quickly.

BC,NR (let's be honest, the live album is a step down compared to AFUT)
I don't argue that; Ants From Up There has potential to be one of the best of the '20s when the decade wraps up.

Despite the many people who were hyping up this release month in the weeks prior, it is going as I predicted so far. Only three June releases so far that I would consider for top50 honors at year's end from what I have tried (Jess, McKinley, Slowspin). The latter wasn't even on my radar at all.

Shame, Squid, BC,NR (let's be honest, the live album is a step down compared to AFUT) all realeasing duds. At least the new Murder Capital album is good, Fontaines D.C. are still consistent from each album so far, Protomatyr, the scene OGs, are still going strong. I think someone needs to come out with something fresh because everything in thise scene/genre is going stale quickly.
Drunk Tank Pink was my top album from 2021...I think Food for Worms has some solid tracks, but it feels disjointed, almost more like a pop album in how they tried to make some singles and then filled in around it with a similar noise.

first effort at a ranking this year

1. The Murder Capital - Gigi's Recovery
2. Cloth - Secret Measure
3. The National - First Two Pages of Frankenstein
4. boygenius - the record
5. Gorillaz - Cracker Island
6. Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World
7. Complete Mountain Almanac - S/T
8. Protomartyr - Formal Growth in the Desert
9. Bully - Lucky for You
10. WITCH - Zango
11. Kevin Morby - More Photographs (A Continuum)

for now, a tier down/more time needed, I've got Margo Price, shame, Atmosphere, Tennis, Caroline Rose, Durand Jones, Arlo Parks (also a sophomore slump?)

also assuming spots by end June for the new Queens of the Stone Age, Killer Mike and bdrmm albums

Drunk Tank Pink was my top album from 2021...I think Food for Worms has some solid tracks, but it feels disjointed, almost more like a pop album in how they tried to make some singles and then filled in around it with a similar noise.
yeah I don't really get why bands will evolve their sound away from what made them so good. It's a story as old as music itself. It seems like every band eventually becomes more singer-songwriter as they get older. Reminds me of the last Iceage album. They had 4 very good punk albums and then put out a dud that was not unique and added nothing to their sound. If anything it left you wanting more of what they were doing before. We have plenty of bands making regular rock music really well. Not everyone needs to go down that path and add to the pile. Stick with what makes you unique. This sounds very curmudgeonly but I believe it.

yeah I don't really get why bands will evolve their sound away from what made them so good. It's a story as old as music itself. It seems like every band eventually becomes more singer-songwriter as they get older. Reminds me of the last Iceage album. They had 4 very good punk albums and then put out a dud that was not unique and added nothing to their sound. If anything it left you wanting more of what they were doing before. We have plenty of bands making regular rock music really well. Not everyone needs to go down that path and add to the pile. Stick with what makes you unique. This sounds very curmudgeonly but I believe it.

sooo...you really must dislike The National now, huh?

I think it's a fine line. music is still an artistic expression after-all and if what one made five, ten years ago isn't an accurate reflection of where one is in life then trying to recreate that art becomes artificial and disingenuous. like, I haven't really liked the direction Arctic Monkeys have gone on their last two albums...I miss horny teenager/20s Alex Turner, but that's not really who he is now.

*** to be clear, I don't fully disagree at least on sentiment...I hear you...just kinda tossing this in for conversation purposes***

sooo...you really must dislike The National now, huh?
LOL. Kind of. I don’t really care for their newest album that much. But I’m a big, big, big fan so I’m still finding things I like about it. I really like everything else they’ve done, even IAETF, this is their first dud imo.

Arctic Monkeys have changed their sound to be completely different. It’s not a watered down version of their old sound. I think that’s a little bit different. But you’re right it’s a fine line. It’s not night and day. Artists are different and will write different music and have different styles.

We are different in that regard. I enjoy both the most recent Shame record and the last Iceage album a great deal. No band is gonna consistently make the same album over and over again successfully outside of AC/DC. I appreciate them exploring other venues even if they aren’t as successful overall I would rather listen to something different than another version of the same thing after 3 or 4 albums why not take a chance. There is more of a reason for me to pull Iceage’s most recent album then their 4th best post punk album.

Back