August '22 - N&G VINYL SPINS CHALLENGE - Don’t tell @MikeH

Day 25: Honky Tonk Heroes

Willie Nelson - The Words Don’t Fit the Picture

0D74EF16-ABC3-438C-988B-5A299AC605B8.jpeg

Waylon & Willie were frequent collaborators, especially during the ‘70s. Together they wrote “Good Hearted Woman” which first appeared on Waylon’s album of the same name shortly before this album came out. Waylon & Willie later recorded a duet version of it for their Outlaws compilation (shoutout @Yer Ol' Uncle D) and it became a #1 country hit! (the 2nd biggest country chart hit of 1976 after C.W. McCall’s “Convoy”)

26. Let's Go Crazy

Different levels of crazy here.

First, Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs start working together under the guise of Sid & Susie. They have the crazy idea of doing three volumes of covers records with each focusing on a different decade. The decide on the 60's, 70's and 80's. They do it, and it's crazy how they can move between era and genre ease.

This is a project created out of love for the songs and the joy it brings playing them, not selling a ton of records and making a ton of money. And in the corporate music world, that concept is just plain crazy.

I love this project. Highly recommended.

The final volume contains a Prince cover...

Bonus crazy - Vol. 1 includes a cover of NY & Crazy Horse...

Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - Under The Covers Vol. 3

20220826_001947.jpg

Needed to catch up a bit

Day 22 - Sarabande

CDD0A065-220A-4B6D-A7D0-6E2F7DC62095.jpeg

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

This stumped me for a bit and it caused me to fall behind lol. I don’t know what Sarabande rhythm sounds like and considering I have no rythem I don’t think I’ll actually learn what it is lol. So I focused on Sara within the word and played that song!

Last edited:
Day 24 - American Girl

0352E62D-D74F-470D-8068-98C2F63A1B6E.jpeg

George Michael - Faith

one of my favorite scenes from Scrubs uses "American Girl" as a needle drop and I cant help but think of that scene whenever I listen to the song. So I'm going with another song used in that episode which is George Michael's "Faith"

here are both scenes!

25. Honky Tonk Heroes

I'm going to argue that this Twang is at least Honky Tonk adjacent, even though it admittedly has a completely different sound with that bass forward approach. This album gets really good a few tracks in and if nothing else the cover of Staying Alive makes the whole project worthwhile. I'm only a partial fan of Primus, but love Les's playing and many of his side projects are so damn good.

Les Claypool's Duo De Twang
IMG20220826142513.jpg

Last edited:
Back