August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

10th August - It's Been A While…

Paul Giovanni & Gary Carpenter - The Wicker Man
20210810_154617.jpg

This was one of the first twenty records I picked up, maybe even first dozen, and certainly the first one I spent over $20 on, but it has long been one of my favourite movies and soundtracks so when it popped up in the 'new arrivals - used' bin at my local I barely hesitated to grab it, high price or no. Especially with this gorgeous cover art! That said, it remains somewhat hidden on the seldom visited soundtrack shelf and hasn't been played in probably a year and a half so it's nice to have this prompt push me toward putting it back on the platter.

8th August - Now THAT'S a cool story!
Play an album that has a great story linked to it.

Wilco - A Ghost is Born

The main story is that this was leaked online well before its release. I found it, downloaded it, loved it, and still bought the CD when it came out. And years later, the vinyl copy.
The sub-story: I was at Bonnaroo 2004. Not only was their set so, so great; tight and full of energy, but a large portion of the crowd knew the material from the not-yet-released album. At one point Tweedy, after I assume noticing that people were recognizing so much of the material said, and I'm paraphrasing; how many of you have heard the new album already? He was laughing at the raucous reply. Then during Hummingbird at the end musical break he put his arms out and flew all around the stage. Just a wonderful, joyous set.
I had seen a bad Wilco show a year or two before that, so this was refreshing.

WIL.jpeg

9th August - International Day Of The Worlds Indigenous People!
Play an album that highlights those people that are often overshadowed and bring them to the attention of more people. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a particular group of people, but perhaps an overlooked group/genre/person of cultural significance or interest.

Los Lobos - Native Sons

Definitely an overlooked band, these guys are so good. I think many people just think of La Bamba and write them off but they've been great American music makers for decades.
This album is a fun batch of covers, as they pay homage to other California artists.

LOS.jpeg

Play an album that you haven’t played in ages. The longer the gap between its last play and now the better. Tell us why its been sitting on your shelf for so long and how you feel about it after a listen

Nicolette Larson - Lotta Love

This was one of my mom's favorites, and I remember that the title track (which I didn't know was a Neil Young cover until years later) was all over the radio in 1978. So when I grabbed her stack of albums years ago, which also contained a LOT of Carly Simon plus Carole King and some Joni Mitchell, I stashed this one in a pile of stuff I rarely play or look at. I've spun all the other stuff at some point, but I never got to this one until today.
It sounds great, and I still love her version of Lotta Love.

NIC.jpeg

Play an album that highlights those people that are often overshadowed and bring them to the attention of more people. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a particular group of people, but perhaps an overlooked group/genre/person of cultural significance or interest.

Tinariwen - Tassili + 10:1

20210203_013243.jpg

Liturgy - Aesthethica

8DC6344F-2B95-47DF-9438-68092490078C.jpeg

Liturgy is an American black metal band fronted by trans woman Hunter Hunt-Hendrix. Hunter has a very unique and philosophical take on her music and what it means. Going so far as to label this album as “transcendental black metal”.

She drew a lot of hate on the internet around the time of this record’s release, with people calling her pretentious. On top of that, there’s the typical and toxic transphobia she’s had to endure.

Trans people are faced with a lot of disadvantages right now all over the world. And that’s putting it mildly, depending on the country. So it’s always encouraging seeing someone like Hunter putting themselves out there and being true to themselves.

And outside all of that, I think this album rules.

Play an album that you haven’t played in ages. The longer the gap between its last play and now the better. Tell us why its been sitting on your shelf for so long and how you feel about it after a listen.

Went to Discogs and hit random til something popped up that I knew I hadn't played in a long time. Here 'tis.

Great record. Jazz dipped in a heavy funk batter and fried up crispy. Sounds like the killer soundtrack to a 70's blaxploitation film.

Freddie Hubbard / Stanley Turrentine with Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette, Eric Gale - In Concert Volume One

20210810_233028.jpg

11th August - Put Your Phones Away!
After more than a year it looks like live gigs are starting up again. Play a live album from your collection.

The last time I saw The Cult, Ian went on a rant about all the dopes holding their phones in the air capturing marginal video and poor audio...

"You're missing the show, people. You're missing the show. It's passing right by you. Don't miss it!"

Right on, Ian. Put yours phones down. Invest in some decent audio recording gear. Let's get that taper culture built back up. Generate some quality memories that can be shared for decades like this...

That's for you @Selaws.

And on that note, let's play a bootleg...

The Cult - Victory-Live In Rome 1986

20210811_000652.jpg

Last edited:
Day 08: Now THAT'S a cool story!
Play an album that has a great story linked to it

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
View attachment 108281
The stories behind this album is fairly well known. There is the music biz story that will forever be attached to this album almost any time a music critic or arts journalist writes a piece about YHF. The consolidation of labels under the AOL/Time-Warner banner led to the the ousting of longtime Reprise President, and Wilco fan Howard Klein. The new President, David Kahne didn’t get YHF, and didn’t hear any “radio hits” but Tweedy refused to change the album and as a result the band was let out of their Reprise contract and as a bonus was allowed to keep the YHF master or free. Afterwards, Wilco leaked the album online and created quite a bit of buzz which resulted in multiple labels bidding to sign Wilco and put out YHF exactly how Tweedy intended. The winning label, Nonesuch was also a subsidiary of AOL/Time-Warner, meaning Warner music essentially paid Wilco twice for the opportunity to release YHF.

The other big story that was attached to this album regarded the actual recording process. Coming off the release of Wilco’s previous LP, Summerteeth the band had developed kind of a co-leadership position between singer/songwriter, Jeff Tweedy and multi-instrumentalist, Jay Bennett. As the recording process for YHF began Bennett and Tweedy were on very different pages on how they wanted the record to sound. Their battles became the primary focus of the documentary, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, that was filming the creation of YHF. The butting of heads ultimately led to Bennett being dismissed from the band. If you haven’t seen the documentary you should seek it out as it’s one of the best Rock Documentaries ever filmed.

Man, I sure do miss Jay Bennett. He brought so much organic soul and fun to Wilco.

RIP Jay. Thanks for everything.

Day 11: Put Your Phones Away!
After more than a year it looks like live gigs are starting up again. Play a live album from your collection

The Grateful Dead - Live @ The Capitol Theater, Port Chester, NY 02/18/1971
093C2591-5EDA-44E6-B642-284DAA2DD426.jpeg
FF38295B-AB88-47EE-8AF6-5E5EB1B75728.jpeg

This past Spring I added a tape deck to my main setup and I have really enjoyed having the ability to play and collect tapes. Being a fan of the Grateful Dead (probably not a “Deadhead” though, I don’t feel like I’ve earned that title) it allowed for me to seek out some live shows. Thankfully @imtheocean hooked me up with a few right out the gate, including this one from 1971 one of my favorite eras of live Dead music. I really appreciate the generosity and have enjoyed having these shows in my collection.

Last edited:
Day 11: Put Your Phones Away!

Charles Lloyd – Manhattan Stories (Resonance Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)

As a fan of live music and recordings I had a lot to choose from today (I actually listened to some live Miles Davis cassettes this morning as well - 'Lincoln Centre February 1964' and 'Berlin November 1964').

However, I also have tickets to see the fantastic Charles Lloyd later on in the year (with my N&G AOTM - Nérija - as support!) so I just ahd to choose a live album by the saxophonist!

IMG_5480.JPG

After more than a year it looks like live gigs are starting up again. Play a live album from your collection.

David Bowie - Live Santa Monica 1972

It wasn’t a question if I would play one of my live Bowie records but which of my 20+ official live releases. Still one of my favourite live records. Nice and raw sounding.
4DB318B4-2B11-4787-BABA-81F43F047671.jpeg

Ooops, skipped yesterday's theme.

I haven't played this one in a long long time because *checks over shoulder* my wife is right and I may have too many records...

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Sex & Food

BCB94F2B-3700-4150-B4F5-FF6607B6DC0F.jpeg

Funkadelic - Live at Meadowbrook - Sept 12, 1971

I've seen some cool shows at Meadowbrook, it's great little outdoor venue...this one was probably pretty sweet. I wasn't there, seeing as it was a day before my 2nd birthday. And also my parents weren't into Funkadelic.

FUNK.jpeg

Back