August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

Day 10 - It’s Been a While

No Age - An Object

827E0594-DE71-4C36-BD22-042AF241D5E3.jpeg

I know I have not played this since the year of its release (2013). I forgot that it’s pretty good! If I remember right, the band insisted on placing the labels on the records and packaging it themselves. It came with a beach ball and for some stupid reason I left it in its deflated state packed with the vinyl in the plastic protective sleeve this whole time but just now realized this. Wouldn’t you know, the record is warped to shit?

11th August - Put Your Phones Away!
After more than a year it looks like live gigs are starting up again. Play a live album from your collection.

DJ Shadow - Live! In Tune and On Time

I only have a few live albums on vinyl and I've used them all for similar prompts in past months, but this gave me an excuse to dig out this CD/DVD live set from Shadow's early career.

IMG_20210811_201220755_HDR.jpg

12th August - World Elephant Day!
Today is all about raising awareness about the need of preserving and protecting elephants. Play an album that features animals (imaginary bonus point for Elephants)

A really spectacular band that's underappreciated. Features the voice of Sandy Denny and the guitar of Richard Thompson...

Also, elephants.

Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking

20210812_001157.jpg

Last edited:
After more than a year it looks like live gigs are starting up again. Play a live album from your collection.

Billie Eilish - Live at Third Man Records

View attachment 108454

One of the LPs I acquired from the first Record Store Day that I attended.

My first RSD too!
Although my local got precisely zero of these.

That is so strange, with it having the highest press quantity out of all titles during that drop.

My thoughts as well.

Having attended 4 of the 5 drops since I feel like I understand the allotments they get from their distributors less and less with each passing one. Seems they sometimes get an oddly high amount of a low quantity title while getting an incredibly low (or non-existent!) amount of high quantity titles. Then there are the titles they inexplicably wind up receiving weeks or even months later - those are the biggest curveballs of all!

8th August - Now THAT'S a cool story!
Play an album that has a great story linked to it.

A un-named band sent in their 1971 demo anonymously to the Warner Bros. exex who signed Beefheart. He wasn't too impressed and returned the demo addressed to "Residents"

And this is how The Residents got their name.

Known as the "Warner Bros. Album" as a bootleg for years, this finally got a remaster and released on RSD 2018.

The Residents – The W***** B*** Album
New Ralph Too – NRTLP006, 2018

#RSD18 - "The Warner Bros. Album"
Limited to 1500 (900 in US, 600 in EU)

Pressed at GZ

nw96Wl.jpg

E997Ng.jpg

igvyS0.jpg

9th August - International Day Of The Worlds Indigenous People!
Play an album that highlights those people that are often overshadowed and bring them to the attention of more people. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a particular group of people, but perhaps an overlooked group/genre/person of cultural significance or interest.

I played this one before and I'm still waking up, so I'm using the old images.

This set has a sampling of various African tribes music.

Various ‎– Afro-American
Follett Publishing Company ‎– XL 11, 1974

4 LP Box set from "The World Of Popular Music" series. This record set was to be used in a school setting to teach music from around the world. The music of various ethnic groups and instruments from Africa along some contemporary soul, jazz, and blues snippets.

Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

3xkAGh.jpg

ECyXjQ.jpg

kfQ8U5.jpg

27xE08.jpg

t1xxHm.jpg

10th August - It's Been A While…

I know I bought this when I lived in Illinois. I have no recollection of spinning it since I lived here, so it is possible I haven't spun it since 2004 (when I moved to Oregon), but it's possible it was before that.

This is one Roxy Music album I just don't really like....I do still need to get a copy of Flesh + Blood just to have the complete S/T to Avalon run, but I don't care for that one either.

Roxy Music – Manifesto
ATCO Records – SD 38-114, 1979

Cut by George Piros at Atlantic
Pressed at PRC

4nQwFy.jpg

VJwWNx.jpg

I like to take pictures, perhaps more than I should during shows. I hope I'm not too obnoxious about it. Pictures help me remember, and yes, I do look at them from time to time. Jack White is strongly against phones, in fact I think he "bans" them during his shows by having people put theirs in bags or something. I've seen him once at a festival years ago where where didn't have this kind of control. I was too far away to get any decent photos, though.
IMG_20140719_224132_045.jpg
You can see the III lit up on stage, and a clear shot of the Shart balloon. LOL

This is as close to the Masonic Temple as I will ever get, and the pic above was taken about two weeks before at Forecastle, in Louisville, KY, so here is...

Jack White – Live At The Masonic Temple - Detroit 7/30/14

PXL_20210812_121901281.jpg
PXL_20210812_121931890.jpg

Yes...I'm playing this one again. This is one I picked up in my record shopping yesterday, but this one has the OBI...and that makes it sound SOOOOOOOO much better.

(after comparing the 2 - one will be going in my give-away pile....not really a PIF, just a pile of dupes - I usually throw a couple to my secret santa. I like having different pressings of this one, but I don't need multiple copies of different pressings. I just found a nice price on the 2 LP reissue from a few years back that I never got...so I hope that Discogs deal goes through.)

801 – 801 Live
Polydor – MPF 1101, 1977

Japanese pressing

ciR98f.jpg

4dgSVR.jpg

Today is all about raising awareness about the need of preserving and protecting elephants. Play an album that features animals (imaginary bonus point for Elephants)

Jlin - Black Origami

PXL_20210812_133928347.jpg

Osibisa - Woyaya
20210812_084138.jpg

I've been looking forward to today and am glad nobody's played this yet because I knew this was my spin for the day as soon as I saw the prompt! If I ever think of elephants and albums this is the first thing that pops into mind. Every time.

Ichiro Fujiya, Takeshi Kurihara ‎– Elephant And A Barbar (Musilogue, 2019 Limited Pressing)

I totally forgot about this until I dug into the J-Jazz section of my shelves earlier. A fantastic album and this one was limited to 150 copies with silk screen printed lettering to the beautiful jacket.

IMG_5524.JPG

V.S.O.P. The Quintet - Live Under the Sky

Killer lineup and a fire performance. I have tickets to see Herbie Hancock next month... and I’m really hoping it doesn’t get cancelled.

1670F0CA-F077-4426-991A-E727532D06E4.jpeg

9th August - International Day Of The Worlds Indigenous People!
Play an album that highlights those people that are often overshadowed and bring them to the attention of more people. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a particular group of people, but perhaps an overlooked group/genre/person of cultural significance or interest.

I played this one before and I'm still waking up, so I'm using the old images.

This set has a sampling of various African tribes music.

Various ‎– Afro-American
Follett Publishing Company ‎– XL 11, 1974

4 LP Box set from "The World Of Popular Music" series. This record set was to be used in a school setting to teach music from around the world. The music of various ethnic groups and instruments from Africa along some contemporary soul, jazz, and blues snippets.

Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

3xkAGh.jpg

ECyXjQ.jpg

kfQ8U5.jpg

27xE08.jpg

t1xxHm.jpg
This is fascinating, such an incredible set!

V.S.O.P. The Quintet - Live Under the Sky

Killer lineup and a fire performance. I have tickets to see Herbie Hancock next month... and I’m really hoping it doesn’t get cancelled.

View attachment 108492
Very jealous, I saw Herbie live a couple of years back and it was just incredible. So much energy he was giving the youngsters a run for their money :ROFLMAO:

Back