August 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Summer Loving

13th August - Unlucky.
Play an album that took you ages to find, or that slipped through your fingers before you eventually found a copy.

Put off buying this record for a long time. Prices crept up. Held my ground. Thought for sure there would be a reissue. Based on everything I read, the band split was a bit acrimonious and there wouldn't be anything released anytime soon if ever. Took the plunge.

A couple months later, here comes the reissue.

C'est la vie.

The Verve - A Northern Soul

20200911_004932.jpg

10th August - It's Been A While…
Play an album that you haven’t played in ages. The longer the gap between its last play and now the better. Tell us why its been sitting on your shelf for so long and how you feel about it after a listen.

13th August, catching-up

DEVO "Freedom Of Choice" (1980 Warner Brothers; 2016 Rhino SYEOR reissue)
Impulse buy during one of my trips to Montreal to see the Habs play, because pretty colors. I'm not sure I've ever actually spun this all the way through. No reason really, because I know I like the record. Maybe I never got in the mood for DEVO. Maybe the Habs lost that day. Maybe to Toronto. I can't recall. Wiped that memory clean. So today is the day this gets a proper spin.

IMG_1711.JPG

13th August - Unlucky.

Play an album that took you ages to find, or that slipped through your fingers before you eventually found a copy.

The Who - Who’s Next? (2012 MOV pressing)

Not unlucky but read my story of finding this pressing.

493C0F18-B81D-43FC-A024-7095295D904E.jpeg

Day 13 - Unlucky

I was looking for this one forever (it has Nina’s great Rich Girls cover on it among other great songs), so I was ecstatic to find it while digging (in Chicago maybe?) for an okay price in what appeared to be great condition. I got home and gave it my typical cleaning and it sounded like absolute shit - mold, I think (you can see some water damage on the lower left of the sleeve). Super frustrating, but after using the old wood glue method and resorting to isopropyl alcohol, I got it sounding pretty quiet except for a spot here and there. So, ended well I guess.

244E643A-4AEB-4290-89E6-A87BB72EA7C9.jpeg

12th August - World Elephant Day!
Today is all about raising awareness about the need of preserving and protecting elephants. Play an album that features animals (imaginary bonus point for Elephants)

13th August, catching-up

Chicano Batman "Invisible People" (2020 ATO Records)
Includes the track "Pink Elephants".

IMG_1713.JPG

13th August - Unlucky.

**caught-up, woot woot!**

The Runaways "The Runaways" (1976 Mercury; 2019 Modern Harmonic remaster)
This is one of those albums that wasn't reissued to vinyl since its initial pressing run. I was ecstatic to hear that it would finally reissued and pressed at RTI and cut by Kevin Gray, no less. So I ordered my copy from Sundazed, added Santana's self-titled, Sly & The Family Stone's "Life" and Cal Tjader's "Solar Heat" in the box. Five weeks later, no box. So I contact customer support and they tell me that for some reason my shipment got detoured to Sweden. They asked that I wait a week and if it didn't show up, they'd send it again. Anyone that knows my name knows that there is often some hidden good luck in my bad luck. Like I have a luck gene. My wife calls me her Teela Brown (Teela Brown). So literally the next day, my box shows up and everything is intact. I get in touch with customer support to let them that all's well that end's well. But it didn't end there. About 4 weeks later, I was confused when I received another box from Sundazed, with another copy of my order. They must have sent the order again anyway. So I got doubles of all of these fine record! I've since PIF'ed a few of those doubles. The Santana was a little noisy.. no problem, I have another. I had totally Teela Brown'ed that order! Oh and this reissue is fantastic.

IMG_1714.JPG

Last edited:
Today is all about raising awareness about the need of preserving and protecting elephants. Play an album that features animals (imaginary bonus point for Elephants)

King Crimson - Discipline

Elephant Talk!

KING.jpeg

Elephant Gym - Angle

20200505_151259-jpg.45180

13th August - Unlucky.
Play an album that took you ages to find, or that slipped through your fingers before you eventually found a copy

Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years

I remember not buying a copy of this once because I already had a few albums in my stack and figured I'd find it again sometime. I went a few years before finding one again. I did the same thing with Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime and still haven't found a copy of that.

And with that, I am out of here for a week+. I may catch up when I get back, or jump in on the day or something.
Cheers!

TOM.jpeg

13th August - Unlucky.

This Heat - Deceit

16289248495494065202910273460902.jpg

This record would be one I would have scoffed at years ago. But even looking back from as recent as one year ago, I can see why This Heat is a band's band. Truly revolutionary sound and innovation made within the experimental rock/post-punk vein. Kind of out of print now, but found a link that had copies available. Glad to have it, as this one is monumental.

14th August - That's unexpected!
Play an album that is unlike any other in your collection, or that we wouldn’t necessarily think would fit in with your tastes. Explain why you like it.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works

20210814_004812.jpg

I've been into the post-hardcore scene thanks to the N&G RotM club (Fugazi), and have been curious to try other bands within the realm. Dillinger is more intense than the majority of those seminal post-hardcore groups, so they fit into my tastes well enough. I owned this Dillinger record before any Fugazi purchase.

13th August - Unlucky.

Matthew Sweet - Kiki Ga Suki * Raifu

EED6C81D-5545-4CD0-8A9C-57ED66514241.jpeg

This ranks up there with his best records, it is so good. But I wasn’t ready to pay hundreds of dollars for it (or any record) so I had just figured I’d probably never own it and that was fine. I found it in a store for $25 soon after giving up on it.

Garth Brooks - In Pieces (Legacy Box Set)

B6E5ADE3-15B2-46D4-BC35-DC1F1C3FB4B4.jpeg

I finally fell for the $13 price for this box set this year, thinking someone in the house would enjoy it. Not sure it exactly worked out that way but most of it is not as offensive as I remember it being when I was a kid.

Play an album that is unlike any other in your collection, or that we wouldn’t necessarily think would fit in with your tastes. Explain why you like it.

Matt Kindt with Clint McElroy "Mind MGMT: Team Building" (2018 self-released)
This completely unique in my vinyl collection. A read-along book like I used to have when I was a kid. This is a side-story associated with Matt Kindt's "Mind MGMT" graphic novel series. But as a read-along book, this one is a little different than those I had as a kid: the audio doesn't quite match the text in the associated comic, by design. It follows, but not exactly. Makes for a weird but quite engrossing story - pretty much along the lines of the Mind MGMT series.

IMG_1716.JPGIMG_1717.JPGIMG_1715.JPG

Matt Kindt with Clint McElroy "Mind MGMT: Team Building" (2018 self-released)
This completely unique in my vinyl collection. A read-along book like I used to have when I was a kid. This is a side-story associated with Matt Kindt's "Mind MGMT" graphic novel series. But as a read-along book, this one is a little different than those I had as a kid: the audio doesn't quite match the text in the associated comic, by design. It follows, but not exactly. Makes for a weird but quite engrossing story - pretty much along the lines of the Mind MGMT series.

View attachment 108681View attachment 108682View attachment 108680
Hell yeah! I love this series. Wasn’t aware ther was a 7”. Gonna have to look that up.
BD88B840-7558-4C1A-9203-9DD283472956.jpeg

With about a 1000 records, hard to play something that is unlike anything else.
Tube Bar (Teen Beat cd) - had to go down to basement to find it, then rip it to my computer to play. You're welcome.
917EC77E-4EAC-4242-AF76-E4A3F48567D3.jpeg

Day 14: That's unexpected!
Play an album that is unlike any other in your collection, or that we wouldn’t necessarily think would fit in with your tastes. Explain why you like it

Lorde - Melodrama
C51838B4-79B7-43B9-99F6-F5AB65163A0F.jpeg

I am not against modern Pop music it’s just not the type of music that typically lends itself to the album format. Very few modern Pop artist create albums that I want to listen to all the way through. I would much rather construct a playlist of ear candy singles chocked full of bubblegum bliss. I think this and Lana Del Ray’s Norman Fucking Rockwell are the only 2 albums I own that you would describe as straight Pop without any additional adjectives (I must enjoy Jack Antonoff’s production too). Needless to say every time I play this record I am left wondering why I don’t listen it more often. There isn’t a bad track in the bunch.

Last edited:
Back