August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Day 21: My Oldest Soundtrack.

I did have a copy of A Hard Days Night, but I probably purged it long ago as it was most likely a crap thrift store purchase. This one I dug out of my purge box. I have these Beatles tracks on other releases and the Ken Thorne orchestral tracks aren't really my thing...although he did later do the soundtrack for Superman 2.

The Beatles tracks here are on side A of the UK version. The 7 Side B tracks of the UK version were released on Yesterday And Today, Beatles IV, and Rubber Soul.

The Beatles ‎– Help! (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Capitol Records ‎– MAS-2386, 1965

Mono (fold-down)

Pressed at Capitol, Los Angeles

IdQeaA.jpg

rfJhqd.jpg

This blu ray release is pretty good...

August 18 - Bad Poetry Day - Play an album with terrible lyrics. Bonus points for posting your favorite cringe-worthy lyric.

A beloved and wonderful album with a bit of bad poetry to kick it off.

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow

View attachment 62380

1597998941270.gif

Day 21 - oldest

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - I Can't Sit Down

A few ways of looking at this - my oldest originals, probably from Colombia, don't have a year on them so who knows; no doubt my oldest recordings are of Charley Patton from the 20s; but I went with this compilation which includes a load of tracks from 1946 and 1947 by one of my favourite artists. So joyful.

20200821_151523.jpg

Day 21: August 21 - Senior Citizens Day - Play the oldest album in your collection.
Jimmy Smith - Bashin' - The Unpredictable Jimmy Smith [stereo pressing, 1962]
C15FF026-8ED0-412D-A67C-320DE853C823.jpeg
This is when having a fully catalogued collection in Discogs really comes in handy. Looks like this is the oldest and only album I own from 1962. I have one from 1963, then nothing else until 1965 when things start to really open up.

Last edited:
DAY 21 - OLDEST IN THE COLLECTION.

IMG_20200821_142934.jpg

This was tricky, because I don't have a lot of old, old records. Most of the records I have are current or in some cases era reissues. The oldest album I have is from 1957.

However, this 7" single predates that. It took a bit of research to learn about this single, there's no evidence of it on discogs. I ended up finding information about it on 45cat. As it turns out, the two songs on this 7" are reissues of songs recorded in 1947.

However, it was pressed and released, apparently, in 1951, officially making it the oldest record I own.

Day 21

old

so I have a couple of records I suspect are older, but Discogs doesn’t have a date and I’m too lazy to do all the research. I have four or five records that we’re pressed in 1955, this one is a repress of 54 release... so it won the wheel of what the hell am I gonna play today, thrift stores purchase, cost me fifty cents.

923DDC00-77AD-4882-9638-996BDD3159F6.jpeg
Levant Plays Gershwin

Catch up post August 18 - Bad Poetry Day - Play an album with terrible lyrics. Bonus points for posting your favorite cringe-worthy lyric.

“I can see a liar, sitting by the fire
Trouble in his heart, laughing at the thought
Coming as he goes into overdose
I wonder what he thinks of me?“

oasis “Standing on the shoulder of giants” 2000

still shifting albums so cds for now

Last edited:
August 20 - Radio Day - Play an album that you discovered because of radio

Masters of Reality - S/T (aka The Blue Garden)

This is one of those moments I vividly remember because of the impact a song, and then album, had on me.
It was 1988, I was driving for work and had on the local NPR station, WDET. The 10-2 weekday host Martin Bandyke played The Eyes of Texas and it just hit me in the right spot. I hadn't heard of Chris Goss or MoR but jotted it down at a red light and bought the record that weekend. It became a staple for my friends and I, spun it almost non-stop. I wish I still had that OG copy; this is a repress from one year later on a different label, with a different cover and a different song order plus one new song with another dropped. (Doraldina's Prophecies swapped for Sleepwalkin')

The birth of desert rock? Maybe. All I know is I love this record from start to finish, and if I ever choose an N&G AOTM this might be in the running.

Screenshot_20200822-094932.jpg

Back