August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

August 20 - Radio Day - Play an album that you discovered because of radio.

RUN DMC - Raising Hell

It's a tale as old as television, the misguided youth has trouble in school and is sent to live with relatives in a "safer" neighborhood where they will be able to focus more on school and the future without the distractions of the inner city. In our family's case it was my aunt who was about 7 years older than my sister and I that came to live with us because she was getting in trouble in her Detroit school. She brought with her a group of friends that were "old enough" to buy beer even though they were teenagers (still not entirely sure how that worked), lots of leather jackets, cigarettes, swearing...and knowledge of more than just the local country station or old rock records under the cabinet in the living room. They played the radio during every waking hour. It switched mostly between a station that played the newest rap hits and a station that played the music that made teenagers commit satanic sacrifice most heinous (according to the news of the day).

I remember sneaking downstairs when her friends were over and hearing songs from RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J, The Fat Boys and the like playing on the radio from behind the closed door of her room. I had no idea what happened behind that door. It was a world of foreign words, sounds, and cues for laughter. "Why was the number 69 so funny?" It seemed like they were a completely different species of human to my 7 yr old brain. I needed to study the creatures ceaselessly in order to figure out the inner workings of them and this "heavy metal" and "rap" music they listened to. I never figured em out. Even after growing to be their age and older, I still think of those long-haired, leather clad teenagers of the 80's to be of some alien origin.

the turntables might wobble but they don't fall down
IMG_0589[2170].JPG

Day 17: A Really bad case of the Mondays...

I haven't watched this movie in a while...maybe when I get some time I'll do that some day.

Dave Blume And Bernard Herrmann ‎– Taxi Driver (Original Soundtrack Recording)
Waxwork Records ‎– WW015, 1976/2020

Taxi Cab Yellow & Black Splatter variant

Pressed at MRP/GZ

GD3qax.jpg

Niaptv.jpg

Day 20: Radio Day - Play an album that you discovered because of radio.
Zapp - Zapp
4377410E-FFEC-4168-A8D4-3E78C20FC808.jpegThis was a tough one for me. The radio was all around me growing up but new music discoveries pre-Information Superhighway internet, consisted mostly of Rolling Stone and Spin Magazines, MTV, and friends with cool older siblings. My local college radio station was also garbage so that didn’t help either. That being said, immediately after graduating High School I moved to Peoria, IL to attend college and while I grew up about an hour away and did get a few of the high-powered Peoria radio stations (Rock 106, anyone?) I was fairly unfamiliar with the city as a whole and their lower wattage stations. That all changed though when, while driving around; I stumble across a fantastic radio station. It was really unique considering how homogenized terrestrial radio had become by the early 2000s. I don’t remember the call sign for the station but I will never forget the format as it’s something I’d never experienced before (or since, unfortunately) The stations played exclusively 60s, 70s and 80s R&B, Soul, and Funk and while I was familiar with the genres I had not deeply explored the music at that point in my life. This station brought Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, and Curtis Mayfield into my life, along with Kool & The Gang and The Gap Band. It also Introduced me with the band responsible for many of the G-Funk samples I had grown up with in the 90s, Zapp. Unfortunately, It didn’t last too long, a few months later while driving home from work late I night I turned on my favorite radio station expecting something funky to kick off the rest of my evening, only to be greeted with Madonna’s “Music”. Initially I thought I had fucked up my pre-sets but alas my station had be reformatted to yet another run-of-the-mill pop station sadly. Thankfully, Though a lot of the music it introduced me I still carry with me in my hard drive, my record collection, and my heart.

DAY 20 - RADIO DAYS

IMG_20200820_142315.jpg

I started college in fall of 1999. I had been listening to the college radio station of this particular university, 91.7 WXCI, since I had discovered it in 1993. I cannot call it a contributing factor in my decision to attend this university, but it was absolutely a bonus perk.

I used to listen to the station on my way to and my way from classes. There's probably about 30 albums I own because of my listening habits during this period, but this is the one that gets talked about the least. The song "I'm A Slut" had semi regular rotation on the station, and I heard it three or four times before I realized I wanted a copy of this album.

And, interestingly enough, I've been looking for an excuse to pull this out again. Thank you for that!

DAY 16
LEO
Pink Siifu - NEGRO
This album fits the descriptor of loud and demanding of your attention. It won't be for everyone, but given the bullshit 2020 continues to spew, it will sadly likely remain relevant for many years to come. A confrontational and unflinchingly angry and emotional portrait of being black in America. It's an intense album that demands to be paid attention to, much like the chaos and tragedy that inspired it.
20200820_153617.jpg

Day 20: Radio Days - Play an album you discovered because of radio

San Diego's 94.9 when it first started out had a pretty wide open playlist, and the DJ's had a lot of leeway. Its gone very corporate since then, and I haven't listened to it in years (moved back to 91x when I do listen to radio). But I remember hearing a track off this album on the radio, and it caught my ears with it's garage/soul sound. Not something you'd hear the station play today.

Dirtbombs ~ Ultraglide in Black

IMG_7937.jpg

DAY 20 - RADIO DAYS

View attachment 62307

I started college in fall of 1999. I had been listening to the college radio station of this particular university, 91.7 WXCI, since I had discovered it in 1993. I cannot call it a contributing factor in my decision to attend this university, but it was absolutely a bonus perk.

I used to listen to the station on my way to and my way from classes. There's probably about 30 albums I own because of my listening habits during this period, but this is the one that gets talked about the least. The song "I'm A Slut" had semi regular rotation on the station, and I heard it three or four times before I realized I wanted a copy of this album.

And, interestingly enough, I've been looking for an excuse to pull this out again. Thank you for that!

I honestly for a split second read that album title as "social distancing."

Day 18: Bad Poetry Day

“Lore of the campfire telling of his horror,
Lost in the woods with the Madman and the stars!
Don’t laugh at the tales, heed if you call him!
The legend lives, beware the Madman Marz!
The legend lives, beware the Madman Marz!”

Steve Horelick ‎– Madman (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Death Waltz Recording Company ‎– DW136, 2019

2x45RPM
Red/Blue/Black Merge//Frosted Clear With Red/Blue/Black Splatter - Madman Marz Variant

Pressed at GZ

5SHzqF.jpg

c2jFuA.jpg

Last edited:
Day 20 - Radio day

I pretty much discovered everything I liked on the radio when I was a kid - Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Weezer, etc. But I actually remember the exact time I heard Gin and Juice for the first time. I was totally floored - I actually quickly recorded like 3/4ths of it on a cassette, which I then labeled “Jammin Juice” (I was too young to know what Gin was, so that’s what I heard 😂).

Not sure how many kids played the radio for hours on end in their parents basement and had a cassette at the ready to tape good songs, but that’s what I did.

E0B21F1E-4834-4196-968C-521F681E0F81.jpeg

Day 19: Humanitarian.

"In 2005, we started the David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-Based Education and World Peace to ensure that every child anywhere in the world who wanted to learn to meditate could do so. Now, the Foundation is actively teaching TM to adults and children in countries everywhere."

David Lynch & Alan R. Splet ‎– Eraserhead (Original Soundtrack Recording)
Sacred Bones Records ‎– SBR-3008-3, 1982/2017

Silver vinyl w/ bonus 7" - limited to 1000

Pressed at GZ

FRoJhF.jpg

S41eJF.jpg

Last edited:
Day 20: Radio Days

The Art of Noise - Love Beat 12”

6AF78784-9431-47A2-875B-81052DE1AA8B.jpeg

This is kind of a stretch in that a) this is a 12” single & not an album, and b) the “radio” where I first heard both “Moments in Love” & “Beat Box” was actually two different radio stations in the video game “Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories”, just one example of many of the great songs and artists I found through those games!

Looking in my cubes I realize most of my finds were by other means (Spotify, podcasts, friends, Tv, etc.). However, I remember this one being a radio find vividly. I was driving doing errands in my hometown listening to our local alternative/indie/mishmosh station when I hear the opening to the future megahit Royals came on. It took about one minute for me to pullover and look up the song on my phone. I've been a steadfast fan ever since. I know it's grown a bit stale in terms of being overplayed but Lorde - Pure Heroine still holds up very well on the whole... Even if I'm a Melodrama loyalist.

IMG_20200820_190511.jpg

August 20 - Radio Day

Blood Orange - Freetown Sound

527435E1-1E00-4DE2-A7E6-49DFFDBE4167.jpeg
A few years ago I was heading to wine country with friends and “Hands Up” came on the radio. Within the first 30 seconds I used Shazam to see who the artist was, and then by the end of the song I placed an order for the album. This is such a great mix of sounds, and the album sounds great on my system.

I heard this shorter version of Cemetery Gates a week or so playing on Sirius.

Still not use to the change of track order on this vinyl release.

Various ‎– Demon Knight (Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture: Tales From The Crypt Presents Demon Knight)
Real Gone Music/Atlantic ‎– RGM0486, 1994/2017

Cut by John Golden at Golden Mastering
Pressed at Rainbo

wYcVSQ.jpg

9UJm9E.jpg

August 18 - Bad Poetry Day - Play an album with terrible lyrics. Bonus points for posting your favorite cringe-worthy lyric.

A beloved and wonderful album with a bit of bad poetry to kick it off.

We come from the land of the ice and snow
From the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow

1597795406880_20200818_195346.jpg

August 21 - Senior Citizens Day - Play the oldest album in your collection.

I actually don't have many old records in my collection as I rarely have bought used records (something which I definitely want to do more in the future). Older records I mostly have bought as reissues, not first pressings.

According to my Discogs my oldest album is from 1979. It's the wonderful Kate Bush, "On stage"

IMG_20200821_085728.jpg

Back