August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

It was a "catch-up while the baby is sleeping and the missus takes the daughter to the beach" morning.

DAY 14 - A LONG ONE

GLLDonB.jpg

I've needed a reason to spin this one again, thank you.

DAY 15 - WATER WATER

OBst.jpg

Too on the nose?
I just really wanted to hear "A Familiar Face," my favorite track they ever recorded.

August 13 - Alfred Hitchcock's birthday - Play something scary! (make-up)

Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer

Wolves can be scary, it's got this demon thing on the cover, plus there are songs about rituals and cannibals! Then there's the word that strikes fear into the hearts of all boomers who like to complain about the young 'uns these days- ZOOMER. 😱😱😱

20200815_104439.jpg

Day 15: The Day the Panama Canal Opened - Play an album that makes you think of water.

Saint Etienne- Sound of Water

FDC7C8DE-3586-45A2-ADB1-90838C1359AF.jpeg
Some of you may know that I’m a huge Saint Etienne fan, so this was an easy choice. It’s a bit of an underrated gem in their catalog, but one that I find myself coming back to often.

As Simon Reynolds writes on the album sleeve ‘A soft soundclash of electronica and acoustica, programming and orchestration, “Sound of Water” glistens and ripples with exquisite nuances’

Highlights for me are Heart Failed (in the back of a taxi), Don’t Back Down, How We Used to Live, and Just a Little Overcome.

Day 12 - Appreciating Vinyl

Fell behind...for some reason everything is a struggle this week.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings - The Harrow and the Harvest.

This is an AP pressing and it sounds amazing. Delicate and present, just a beautiful record.

View attachment 61614

When I see this I always think this is a Baroness album I don't have.

DAY 15 - WATER WATER

View attachment 61654

Too on the nose?
I just really wanted to hear "A Familiar Face," my favorite track they ever recorded.
I was unaware this band existed until recently (I think they were referenced in a review for the new Rolling Blackouts CF album) but they are great I am trying to find a copy for a reasonable prices also super surprised they were from Pennsylvania and not somewhere in the UK.

I was unaware this band existed until recently (I think they were referenced in a review for the new Rolling Blackouts CF album) but they are great I am trying to find a copy for a reasonable prices also super surprised they were from Pennsylvania and not somewhere in the UK.

Order directly from the band, I think five of their albums are currently in print. The first three, for me, are regular and essential listening. Hope you enjoyed this rabbit hole!

15 - Water

I had intended to not repeat anything from the previous challenge but I can’t help myself with this album. It’s about my most favorite album to begin with and water is a recurring theme in nearly every song. Still owe catchup on a couple days but will have to pull some records out of storage to hit those.

Florist - Emily Alone

AA3A7EAC-02DD-4D1B-9676-0E76B1578251.jpeg

16 - Loud

This is one of my likely top 10 for 2020 that will make no lists ever. It’s mostly what you expect from this band with a bit more opening and closing naked synths and a couple slower songs. If This Decision and I Wanna don’t grab you there’s not much else this band can do for you.

The Lovely Eggs - I Am Moron

DD75E7AA-026D-49ED-BA25-7D04E04ED0E0.jpeg

August 14 - Fortnight - Play a long album.

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die

at 1 hour 17 minutes, this is a loooong one. Much like Biggie himself claims to be in half the tracks on this record. Wacka wacka wacka.

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis. When I was dead broke, man, I couldn't picture this.
IMG_0582[2149].JPG

August 15 - The Day the Panama Canal Opened - Play an album that makes you think of water.

John Williams - Music from the motion picture JAWS

I mean, what else could I pick?

Duh DUH. Duh DUH. Duh duh Duh duh Duh duh......
IMG_0584[2147].JPG

Back