August 2020 Challenge Thread - The Dog Days of Vinyl Playing

Day 9: Sad

Sandro Perri - In Another Life

Maybe more melancholy than sad, but it's what I want to hear right now.

"Let me into this impossible dream
And know how not to know just what that means
Except to think of all that might be seen
In another life"

View attachment 60997
Checking' this out. Damn, it's pretty. Thanks for the suggestion!

August 12 - Vinyl Record Day - Play an album that makes you appreciate the vinyl format.

I am fairly new to collecting and listening to vinyl so much of my appreciation for it says from the latitude it provides for artistic creativity. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher has come up a few times in this thread for good reason, but she and her team really took advantage of the canvas that vinyl provides. First, it plays beautifully and lends itself to a focused, sequential listen as she grows as a musician within the album. Second, the color is particularly appropriate and striking. Third, the use of art prints and lyric booklets in the way she did it is uniquely suited to vinyl. My copy included a 21 page liner note and unique print for the pressing.

I loved it so much I got a second club copy elsewhere.

There are a lot of phoned in modern releases... This isn't one.

IMG_20200812_090910.jpg
IMG_20200812_091319.jpg
IMG_20200812_092216.jpg
IMG_20200812_092223.jpg

August 12 - Vinyl Record Day - Play an album that makes you appreciate the vinyl format.

I am fairly new to collecting and listening to vinyl so much of my appreciation for it says from the latitude it provides for artistic creativity. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher has come up a few times in this thread for good reason, but she and her team really took advantage of the canvas that vinyl provides. First, it plays beautifully and lends itself to a focused, sequential listen as she grows as a musician within the album. Second, the color is particularly appropriate and striking. Third, the use of art prints and lyric booklets in the way she did it is uniquely suited to vinyl. My copy included a 21 page liner note and unique print for the pressing.

I loved it so much I got a second club copy elsewhere.

There are a lot of phoned in modern releases... This isn't one.

View attachment 61158
View attachment 61159
View attachment 61161
View attachment 61162
Absolutely stunning pick today, I couldn't agree more!

Day 12 - appreciate vinyl

Muriel Grossmann - Golden Rule

Fabulous music, heavy well-pressed vinyl, nice cover on thick card - this is what vinyl is about for me. That it's also one of my favourite releases of the past decade doesn't hurt either. I notice I've got some shelf wear on the jacket of this so wondering if I should pick up the newer reissue too...

20200812_150553.jpg

Grant Green - Slick! - Live at Oil Can Harry’s (Resonance Records, 2018 Limited Pressing)

Im all for the physicality of the vinyl format, and I love everything that Resonance Records have been releasing over the past few years. They take tapes of previously unheard live sessions, give them the proper audio treatment they deserve, track down musicians/audience members/sound engineers/ etc for interviews then bundle them all into really great booklets. They often work with the musician's estates (when they can) and we often get to hear first-hand accounts from those musicians family members. As a fan of live jazz and a good jazz book, I couldn't really ask for much more in a vinyl release.

94FE7A4D-2D84-476A-A958-BE8AB081B49F.jpeg
IMG_0989.jpg

Time for some catch up!
DAY 9
🥺
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
I feel like I own a lot of music people would consider "sad" but I just don't think of it necessarily as being sad. But this is one album you see pop up a lot on lists of depressing albums and I don't disagree. I seem to be drawn to this album when winter comes around, I first got really "into" it two or so years ago and just remember staring outside my dorm window at the snow-covered campus trying to stay warm inside while this album played. I haven't pulled it out much in a long time, maybe because I remember first hearing it at a not so good point in my life which gives it an added layer of sadness. But it's a great album and probably my favorite of Sufjan's that I've heard, beautiful vocals, gorgeous soundscapes and melodies and absolutely heartbreaking lyrics. "Fourth of July" has got to be one of the most achingly depressing songs ever made. Simply put - 😭
20200812_094653.jpg

Time for some catch up!
DAY 9
🥺
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
I feel like I own a lot of music people would consider "sad" but I just don't think of it necessarily as being sad. But this is one album you see pop up a lot on lists of depressing albums and I don't disagree. I seem to be drawn to this album when winter comes around, I first got really "into" it two or so years ago and just remember staring outside my dorm window at the snow-covered campus trying to stay warm inside while this album played. I haven't pulled it out much in a long time, maybe because I remember first hearing it at a not so good point in my life which gives it an added layer of sadness. But it's a great album and probably my favorite of Sufjan's that I've heard, beautiful vocals, gorgeous soundscapes and melodies and absolutely heartbreaking lyrics. "Fourth of July" has got to be one of the most achingly depressing songs ever made. Simply put - 😭
View attachment 61168
Also apparently I got this for $16.99?!?! That makes me more sad because I wish I could still find records for that cheap.
20200812_100704.jpg

DAY 11
THE GIFT OF GIVING
Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Now that Sufjan has got me thoroughly bummed out, it's time to remind myself I'm human and shout along with my girl LJG. This is album is also an emotionally exhausting listen for me but in a much different way.

This was a gift from Santa @Jake! for last year's Secret Santa and I honestly had no excuse not to have this in my collection already so it's a perfect gift. Can't thank my homie enough for spoiling me for my first Secret Santa 💙💙💙
20200812_100418.jpg

And sorry I'm late but happy belated bday to you @wmeugene 🥳 I'll try my best to not fall behind again 😅

DAY 12
VINYL APPRECIATION DAY
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Digging out my old beat-up copy of The Wall for this one. I feel this is a good fit because on some level I like to take each side of a record as it's own self-contained piece of work and this album is great in that sense, since each side is essentially a chapter of the story the album is telling. I don't think you need me to sing this record's praises as there's no shortage of music fans out there who will gladly tell you about it. But I think it's reputation as a brilliant and engrossing concept album is well-deserved. I don't consider myself much of a prog-rock gal but I do have respect for the Floyd. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!
20200812_101847.jpg

Son House - Father of Folk Blues

I love this AP pressing. It makes you feel like you’re in the same room with Mr. House listening to him wail and strum away. I had listened to this digitally several times before buying it on vinyl. The experiences couldn’t be more different.

CA8D3295-C36F-416C-862E-E3BBB2EE2AAA.jpeg

Back