Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

I hope that second speaker arrives intact and soon, but I also wonder what will happen if it doesn't. If it's damaged or lost (not sure how something this large could be lost...), I can see an upside. Does Zu even have any more of those Druid Mk.IV drivers? If not, they might send you a new matched set with something even better!
This has crossed my mind, but I'm not going to dwell on it until there's a reason. It looks like it moved to the next hub, but the two being separated is still concerning, hopefully it shows up undamaged and everything will be well, just a "minor" inconvenience.

Mine are about the same height, almost at the end of the threads, which I measure to be 11/16". I think 12/16" is max height. I should still tinker with the gap a little though, but my experience has been higher = more pleasing to my ears.
BTW @AnthonyI, I have carpet as well and started out using the spiked feed anchored deep in the carpet, but now have them with the ball feet sitting on 12"x12" cutting boards. It made a hugely positive difference. More bass, tighter bass, happier bass.
Where did you get the cutting boards? I have a couple of ceramic tiles, they were cheap, so I might give the boards a try as well.

@HiFi Guy & @Splunders , that helps, at least gives me a starting point. I've been working on my Polk's positioning and they seem to be best when they're pointed a bit past you rather than at you. So we'll start with the Omen's pointing at my spot and adjust the height.........rinse and repeat until we're happy. @HiFi Guy what did your height end up at for the Soul's? I'm about the same distance from the wall and about the same distance apart as yours, again, a starting point, and I already picked up a couple floor tiles :)

Having the other speaker would make this process easier ;)
One other positioning tweak that Ive seen online, re DWs specifically, is to tilt them a little bit upwards, by adjusting the spikes up/down. The tweeter has a slight degree of pitch upwards, but depending on how close you sit, getting that tilt up more might be helpful. Ive done it and cant say it made much difference, but if you like to fiddle like me, its fun to experiment.

Was just about to run out and get Panamax MR4000. My question though looking at the back of it. The receptacles look really close together. I dont think I can put my ZU power cables back to back on that thing. Anybody have experience with that? Just looking at it I think I would only be able plug in 4 things.
Got the MR4000, the Zu Mission Power Cables are just a tad to big and need to stagger every other receptacle. So my Raspberry Pi and eventually TV will have to get attached similar to HiFi Guy suggestion.
The RaspPi plug is just to thick to fit between.

Really looking forward to hearing your take on these! I've got the DWs on my short list for an upcoming speaker upgrade now that my StudioDeck is officially sticking around!

DWs back on sale 4/2/20. They usually sell out within hours.

DWs back on sale 4/2/20. They usually sell out within hours.

Yep! I already have a reminder set for the day before! Trust me I'll be making a post at some point soon in the equipment recommendation thread to get more feedback from you all. :)

So with my small sampling from last night a few things were very apparent, the tiles aren't cutting it under the speakers. So we went to the spikes and set them to have the speakers leaning back just a hair (recommended by Zu), then we needed to pull them apart a bit. The spikes seem to be working fine, the sound is very pleasing so I'm going to run with it for now and let these work themselves in a bit before getting to critical on the positioning and what not.
20200211_181603.jpg

First impressions are really good, very musical, dynamic and full. The best I can describe them is they're more natural/real than the Polk's are, the bass is accurate in my opinion, which may not appeal to some. I'm not one for booming bass for the sake of having booming bass. There are a couple of things going on at once here, I still have new input tubes that are probably not simmered in completely, and I'm sure the speakers themselves still need some time, so for now we're just going to spin away. That being said, the characteristics of the sound are stellar and I can see where these are headed. I did find the DW's were more directional in their positioning than the Polks, which were at their best pointed a bit passed your listening position.

On a side note, I still think there is a lot to be said for synergy because not that the Polk's sound bad in any way on the UD system, but they seem to come into there own a little bit more on the PLX.........just a little something, something that stood out a bit.

My real goal with the DW's is to see if I really want to jump to the Soul's, taking nothing away from them at all, I've heard them on @HiFi Guy's system and they're amazing. I've just gotten to the point where I'm really starting to question how dollars translate into "Better" sound, where do you draw that line? The speakers were my last major piece and I'm happy with what I'm hearing so far, I think I'll be more than content with where we are with everything. Out of the box I'm really pleased with this purchase after about 5 albums of varying genre's, we'll update as things move forward, we'll see if the spikes need to be adjusted a bit or give way to maybe the cutting boards @wooha recommended............for now, happier than a clam ;)

From a price point alone it's hard not to give the Dirty Weekends a solid nod for the sound they produce. PLEASE keep in mind this set has the Druid Mk.IV Drivers installed.

I've just gotten to the point where I'm really starting to question how dollars translate into "Better" sound, where do you draw that line?
Where do you draw the line? Ha, what a hilarious joke of a question. There is no line, only how long you're willing to wait to take the next step :)

Where do you draw the line? Ha, what a hilarious joke of a question. There is no line, only how long you're willing to wait to take the next step :)
Honestly, I know those of us that are "gear" heads are forever tempted by components, but I don't want to keep chasing gear. That being said, I have no problem "upgrading" by selling my current gear to finance whatever might be tempting me, but again, and I know it's a running joke, but I'd like to attempt to find a happy place where I may indulge in a new cart to scratch that itch, rather than the main components. I'm not opposed to the smaller things, like carts, cables, isolation, tubes and so on, but I don't want to be looking at amps, turntables and pre's, lol

Only time will tell, but I'm going to try and make the effort ;)

Honestly, I know those of us that are "gear" heads are forever tempted by components, but I don't want to keep chasing gear. That being said, I have no problem "upgrading" by selling my current gear to finance whatever might be tempting me, but again, and I know it's a running joke, but I'd like to attempt to find a happy place where I may indulge in a new cart to scratch that itch, rather than the main components. I'm not opposed to the smaller things, like carts, cables, isolation, tubes and so on, but I don't want to be looking at amps, turntables and pre's, lol

Only time will tell, but I'm going to try and make the effort ;)
To me the hardest thing is changing speakers without changing amps. I've heard great speakers sound lame with a poorly matched amp. That's a serious consideration while I'm looking at new speakers now. On the other hand, it's also really helped me hold off on speakers because there have been speakers I really like, but I know I'd probably need an amp change with them.

Any way around it, you're right in the fun part right now. I'm excited to hear what you think of the Zu's as you get more time on them.

Back