Audio Hardware Deals: Speakers, Headphones, Turntables, Etc.

How often do they do the 10OFF coupons because I’m eyeing that studiodeck;)
Kind of random but seems to happen every few months. Keep in mind it’s always for open box/refurb items not new stock so it’s tough to time that coupon with an open box Studiodeck. Best grab that deal when you see it because they don’t last long.

True but I suppose we all have to find our happy balance between cost of that gear versus our collection and there is a lot of affordable gear that won't damage your records and that sounds good. Is it as good as the nicer stuff, no, is it good enough to not get too heat up if you can't afford the nicer stuff, yes. Whilst I like the improvements I've made to my gear and would recommend them to anyone who could afford my collection is far more important to me.

Also, that the last time I make a jokey quip about something, its degenerated into a mad debate where I don't think anyone either fully agrees or fully disagrees with anyone else!
I see a discussion, no debate here at all. I've said it a thousand times, there is no right or wrong with ANY of this, vinyl or gear. And I'm more than open to the light hearted ribbing and take it at that, no hurt feelings or taking it personally.

We just talkin' ;)

I see a discussion, no debate here at all. I've said it a thousand times, there is no right or wrong with ANY of this, vinyl or gear. And I'm more than open to the light hearted ribbing and take it at that, no hurt feelings or taking it personally.

We just talkin' ;)

I think the only right is what you can afford and the only wrong is what you can't. Beyond that get the best in that bracket!

I’d take all good pressings over the lavish system
Don't get me wrong, In my opinion the mastering/pressing is the most important part of the formula, and there is a happy place at any budget for everyone when it comes to gear.

Bad pressings make me crazy, and let me clarify that good pressings don't always need to be MoFi, Acoustic Sounds and so forth, there have been great pressings in the non "Audiophile" vendor category ;)

...............quality over quantity.

Don't get me wrong, In my opinion the mastering/pressing is the most important part of the formula, and there is a happy place at any budget for everyone when it comes to gear.

Bad pressings make me crazy, and let me clarify that good pressings don't always need to be MoFi, Acoustic Sounds and so forth, there have been great pressings in the non "Audiophile" vendor category ;)

...............quality over quantity.

The problem is that I like to apply that last line to the music too and so many of the “audiophile” companies are now pressing not only the best old stuff but piles and piles of the third and forth rate old stuff over better new, or even just newer, stuff. Either that or just printing increasingly more expensive versions of the same albums they’ve been doing since their inceptions. There has been music this last 35 years...

I wish someone would just give the likes of dead oceans a real kick up the arse over pressing and mastering.

Last edited:
I wish someone would just give the likes of dead oceans a real kick up the arse over pressing and mastering.
Interesting you bring them up! I see them mentioned negatively a LOT. I only have two records from them, both Khruangbin; the indie exclusive version of Mordechai, and the new press of the Christmas Time Is Here 7", and both of those sound pretty damn great on my system! Mordechai is a direct metal master, (not sure about the 7") the top end gets a little bit distorted at times, but the low end sits so wonderfully. It's gooey and digs deep.

Interesting you bring them up! I see them mentioned negatively a LOT. I only have two records from them, both Khruangbin; the indie exclusive version of Mordechai, and the new press of the Christmas Time Is Here 7", and both of those sound pretty damn great on my system! Mordechai is a direct metal master, (not sure about the 7") the top end gets a little bit distorted at times, but the low end sits so wonderfully. It's gooey and digs deep.

QC and mastering as a label are all over the place. Same for the secretly group as a whole. There are exceptions but as a rule I am just happy if they’re not crackly, even if they still often sound like they were mastered down a pay phone.

Last edited:
QC and mastering as a label are all over the place. Same for the secretly group as a whole. There are exceptions but as a rule in just happy if they’re not crackly, even if they still often sound like they were mastered down a pay phone.
Yea--weirdly I have a few DO and Secretly pressings and they all sound quite good to me. Maybe I just got lucky... I know some of the old Jagjaguwar pressings sucked (all my Bon Iver old pressings sounded awful up until 22, A Million) but I don't know if they changed pressing plants or paid more to up their QC but the last 5-10 albums I got from them all sounded great without issues.

Yea--weirdly I have a few DO and Secretly pressings and they all sound quite good to me. Maybe I just got lucky... I know some of the old Jagjaguwar pressings sucked (all my Bon Iver old pressings sounded awful up until 22, A Million) but I don't know if they changed pressing plants or paid more to up their QC but the last 5-10 albums I got from them all sounded great without issues.

And randomly the only 2 that I would class as good that I own are Jag (the 2 Moses Sumney albums). I’ve just been burned with them more often than not and now just have a very low expectation level of just hoping that they don’t ruin the usually excellent music that’s pressed into them...

And randomly the only 2 that I would class as good that I own are Jag (the 2 Moses Sumney albums). I’ve just been burned with them more often than not and now just have a very low expectation level of just hoping that they don’t ruin the usually excellent music that’s pressed into them...
I just received the Phoebe Bridgers Punisher Blue swirly variant today. Has a few pops and clicks on first listen but I haven't cleaned it yet.

I just received the Phoebe Bridgers Punisher Blue swirly variant today. Has a few pops and clicks on first listen but I haven't cleaned it yet.
my peacock one is the worst mastered record I own. Sounds like it was mastered down the phone and beach house VMP levels of crackle

my peacock one is the worst mastered record I own. Sounds like it was mastered down the phone and beach house VMP levels of crackle
Yea--I have heard some bad things about it which is why I hesitated picking it up but I grabbed it during a restock. It'll be interesting to do a comparison of the high-res digital I have with the vinyl. I only listened to the first track or two so far but will listen to it in more depth later when I'm not working!

Just two days left on this auction of an interesting Jolida hybrid integrated amplifier. It's at $299 with only one bid so far.

Last edited:
Just two days left on this auction of an interesting Jolida hybrid integrated amplifier. It's at $299 with only one bid so far.
This is intriguing...but there’s no remote available for this right?

That is my experience with Mordechai as well, it seems only the A side gets top end distortion. Still enjoyable, but it made me second guess if it was sibilance or not.

Back