Arrakis? More like Ar-ROCK-is! The April 2024 Record-Spinning Challenge Thread

Day 14

Taking a different approach on this one.

Savior

IMG_7003.jpeg
Maggie Rogers - Don’t Forget Me

I struggled with this one. Primarily because I have a hard thinking of anyone who actually saved their genre or music and that use of the word is weird to begin with (not aimed at you @LeSamourai , just a bristling at the colloquialism in general - that’s a conversation for another day).

Which got me thinking of ways to handle this, do I play Gospel music about a quite literal Savior? Do I play Sunken Treasure by Wilco because Rock N Roll saved Tweedy according to the song?

Or what about embracing that bristling and extending the idea to the fact we place our artists in a dangerous position by propping them up on pedestals and making the person behind the art as or sometimes more important than the music itself.

Then I picked up my copy of this today and this idea struck me.

After releasing her debut record:
Day 11
View attachment 200234
Maggie Rogers - Heard It In A Past Life

There’s a lot of reasons I played this today.

I’ve played it a lot. A lot of time has passed since the last time I played it. I love it a lot. Some people thought it was over produced (hey @NathanRicaud love ya!). I’ve been listening to her a lot today because of the new album. I read the New Yorker article on her today which had a lot of words and explained how the whole viral thing with Pharrell and the success of this album was a lot for her. I also love her music a lot.

This video has 22 million views, that’s a lot:

Rogers found herself hearing stories about her music saving people from suicide and other stories from her fans that she felt ill prepared to deal with.

Her response? She enrolled into Havard Divinity School. Not to become a minister or really for a religious reason at all, but to study Public Life. She wanted to equip herself to be able to deal with these situations.

It was an incredibly thoughtful response to an unfair situation. I’m glad that she did this, but it’s kind of screwy that we put any artist in a position that they felt a need to respond this way.

Last edited:
Day 15
IMG_7005.jpeg
Bridget Kearney - Comeback Kid

So Kearney is the bass player for Lake Street Dive. Rachael Price is the singer in that band. Price is married to Taylor Ashton, a buddy of @avecigrec .

But wait there’s more. Price and Kearney were in a band called Fundies. This band also had Brittany Haas on Fiddle and Margaret Glaspy (who is married to Julian Lage who has made records with Chris Eldridge from Punch Brothers). Haas is in a band called Hawktail with Paul Kowert - the bassist of Punch Brothers. Punch Brothers is of course, a band fronted by Chris Thile of Nickel Creek which gets us all over the place to Satah Jarosz and Aoife O’Donovan. To Yo-Yo Ma as pointed out by @ranbalam on this thread on acoustic day. Eldridge and Noam Pikelny (banjo player Punch Brothers) are in a band called Mighty Poplar with Andrew Marlin from Watchhouse who are from Chapel Hill which I live like ten minutes from and were my eldest was born.

So scenes, communities, etc. all connected….

TLDR: @avecigrec and I need to go on Finding Your Roots

Last edited:
I struggled with this one. Primarily because I have a hard thinking of anyone who actually saved their genre or music and that use of the word is weird to begin with (not aimed at you @LeSamourai , just a bristling at the colloquialism in general - that’s a conversation for another day).

I should have made it a bit clearer... because in Dune Paul is called a savior, but the books are a kind of anti-savior story, where the messiah becomes the new oppressor in the end. So I put "savior" in quotes, because it made me think of all the stupid articles over the years calling "Artist X the savior of GENRE Y," and it's always a bit silly (my example was the Strokes). Which I guess is long way of saying I bristle at the usage of the term for music as well!

I should have made it a bit clearer... because in Dune Paul is called a savior, but the books are a kind of anti-savior story, where the messiah becomes the new oppressor in the end. So I put "savior" in quotes, because it made me think of all the stupid articles over the years calling "Artist X the savior of GENRE Y," and it's always a bit silly (my example was the Strokes). Which I guess is long way of saying I bristle at the usage of the term for music as well!
I’ve read most of the books. (I think Chapterhouse is where I began to really struggle and stopped). Dune is actually my favorite all time book. I thought about the quotes and the overall themes of the book. I certainly could have taken the silly route. Even looked up who has been considered to save this or that kind of music.

It also gave me another chance to spin Maggie in the thread. I’m sure I’ll find a reason to spin Surrender before it’s all over! lol

16 - Duncan Idaho: In honor of this fierce warrior, play something that doesn't quit.

I saw this band open for Yo La Tengo.

They played one song......that lasted 45 minutes. Seriously. One 45 minute song.

It was glorious.

They're not called Endless Boogie for nothing.

Ira Kaplan before the YLT encore -
"I'd like to thank Endless Boogie for that wonderful song they played for us tonight. They have some records for sale. I'm not sure how, but they've managed to fit 6 songs on a double LP."

Endless Boogie - Long Island

IMG_4928.jpeg

Day 15
View attachment 200438
Bridget Kearney - Comeback Kid

So Kearney is the bass player for Lake Street Dive. Rachael Price is the singer in that band. Price is married to Taylor Ashton, a buddy of @avecigrec .

But wait there’s more. Price and Kearney were in a band called Fundies. This band also had Brittany Haas on Fiddle and Margaret Glaspy (who is married to Julian Lage who has made records with Chris Eldridge from Punch Brothers). Haas is in a band called Hawktail with Paul Kowert - the bassist of Punch Brothers. Punch Brothers is of course, a band fronted by Chris Thile of Nickel Creek which gets us all over the place to Satah Jarosz and Aoife O’Donovan. To Yo-Yo Ma as pointed out by @ranbalam on this thread on acoustic day. Eldridge and Noam Pikelny (banjo player Punch Brothers) are in a band called Mighty Poplar with Andrew Marlin from Watchhouse who are from Chapel Hill which I live like ten minutes from and were my eldest was born.

So scenes, communities, etc. all connected….

TLDR: @avecigrec and I need to go on Finding Your Roots

I dig this song, going to dive deeper...

15 - Sietch Tabr: This is the home community of the Fremen Paul lives with. Play something from one of your favorite musical scenes, communities, collectives, or movements.

Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On

I thought about the scenes that shaped my tastes as a music-obsessed youngster at the turn of the millennium, and considered the Bay Area hip hop scene (Quannum Projects) and Midwestern emo, but settled on this classic of PNW indie rock.

1000148839.jpg

Day 16

Can’t believe this was not already spun….
IMG_7023.jpeg
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity

The album is constructed in such a way that not only does it sound like one continuous song, but the riff into side one and at the end of the album are the same so if looped with gapless playback, it would sound like a never ending song.

Also, it’s King Gizz and they release approximately 2 billion albums a decade.

14 - Paul Atreides: Play something by someone has been, or has been called, the "savior" of their genre.

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

GNR helped steer rock music away from the glam metal that was dominating the genre at the time. I’m sure some would’ve considered them “saviors” for that reason.

IMG_6402.jpeg

15 - Sietch Tabr: This is the home community of the Fremen Paul lives with. Play something from one of your favorite musical scenes, communities, collectives, or movements.

Blondie - Parallel Lines

I love the mid-late 70’s New York rock scene. I was born way too late to experience it firsthand. What I wouldn’t give to have been able to go to the CBGB in its prime.

IMG_6403.jpeg

16 - Duncan Idaho: In honor of this fierce warrior, play something that doesn't quit.

Willie Nelson - Phases And Stages

I don’t think Willie will stop recording or touring until he’s physically incapable of doing so.

IMG_6404.jpeg

Day 13: Thumpers
These devices call sandworms with their steady beat. Play something where the drumming or beats take center stage.

Minami Deutsch - Minami Deutsch
IMG_4143.jpeg

Decided to play some Japanese Kraut Rock with its thumping motorik 4/4 beat guaranteed to drive your local sand worms crazy!

Day 14: Paul Atreides
Play something by someone has been, or has been called, the "savior" of their genre.

Nirvana - Bleach
IMG_4144.jpeg

Nirvana stormed on to the scene anointed as the band to save rock music from it’s 80s excess, much like Punk did in the late 70s. only to have his music and message co-oped by major labels and corporate interests that eventually coalesced around the likes of post-grunge staples such as Staind, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, and Nickleback to rise in his place.

Day 15: Sietch Tabr
This is the home community of the Fremen Paul lives with. Play something from one of your favorite musical scenes, communities, collectives, or movements.

Jason Collett - Idols of Exile
IMG_4145.jpeg

The Broken Social Scene was The primary vehicle of Brendan Canning and Kevin Drew but worked with numerous acts from the Toronto indie rock scene in the 00s many released under the Arts & Crafts record label, The Metric, The Stars, Feist, Apostle of Hustle and this guy, Jason Collett all contributed to many to many of BSS best albums. On this albums Collette even songs duets with Emily Haines, and Amy Milan, and included Feist, Drew, and Canning in various backing duties.

Back