Arrakis? More like Ar-ROCK-is! The April 2024 Record-Spinning Challenge Thread

IMG_7099.jpeg
Iron & Wine - Who Can See Forever Soundtrack

I thought quite a bit about what to play for this. Was gonna play Boston cause Scholtz has a masters from MIT. I could play the more obvious geniuses like Bowie or Miles, but this guy right here has low key made music that just expands and gets better seemingly with each outing. To think that those first lo-fi folk albums would lead to something like this that borders on David Byrne/Peter Gabriel expansive sound and elaborate stage show all while still being folksy and personal. He’s like the anti Justin Vernon in a lot of ways. I don’t know I just love me some Sam Beam and wanted to say he’s great.

Also, this is one of the best live albums ever made.

19 - Mentats: These humans have been trained to do great calculations in their minds. Play an artist you consider a genius.

Incredible lyricist. Sublime songwriter. Master of most any instrument you can name. Decades of quality musical output. May not have a high falutin' formal degree, but in my book a Rock n Roll PHD...

Pete Townshend - Empty Glass

IMG_4965.jpeg

20 - Gholas: These clones are made from the bodies of the dead. Play something from a band or artist who returned from a long hiatus.

Witch - Zango

A Zamrock band whose last album was released in 1984. In 1014 they reunited and recorded this record in 2023. I never would’ve expected this album to be as good as it is.

***Reunited in 2014. As cool as they are, they’re not time travelers.

IMG_6420.jpeg

Last edited:
20 - Gholas: These clones are made from the bodies of the dead. Play something from a band or artist who returned from a long hiatus.

Witch - Zango

A Zamrock band whose last album was released in 1984. In 1014 they reunited and recorded this record in 2023. I never would’ve expected this album to be as good as it is.

View attachment 200790
I see they had to get back to the future with this one…

19 - Mentats: These humans have been trained to do great calculations in their minds. Play an artist you consider a genius.

Floating Points - Elaenia

Much like the prompt with the word "savior" in it, here's another one with a word that usually gets thrown around undeservedly (for example, if you are a moderately intelligent tech bro with billions in the bank, lots of people call you a "genius"), and I consider all genius to be domain-specific. That said, I do find it impressive that Sam Shepherd makes such thoughtful electronic music as Floating Points AND has a PhD in neuroscience and epigenetics- at the very least, he's a bright bloke.

1000148854.jpg

Slowdive - Everything is Alive

This prompt made me think of basically every major shoegaze band from the 90s, including Slowdive, who returned after about two decades without missing a step, and then released this one showing it wasn't a fluke.

20230909_162022-jpg.182001

Back