Arrakis? More like Ar-ROCK-is! The April 2024 Record-Spinning Challenge Thread

9 - Gurney Halleck: This warrior is also a poet. Play something with great lyrics.

Waits has long been a favorite lyricist of mine, among so many others. I chose Blue Valentine because early in my Waits journey, when I first heard Romeo is Bleeding it became a favorite immediately.

IMG_7725.JPG

Day 11
IMG_6974.jpeg
Maggie Rogers - Heard It In A Past Life

There’s a lot of reasons I played this today.

I’ve played it a lot. A lot of time has passed since the last time I played it. I love it a lot. Some people thought it was over produced (hey @NathanRicaud love ya!). I’ve been listening to her a lot today because of the new album. I read the New Yorker article on her today which had a lot of words and explained how the whole viral thing with Pharrell and the success of this album was a lot for her. I also love her music a lot.

This video has 22 million views, that’s a lot:

Last edited:
Day 11
View attachment 200234
Maggie Rogers - Heard It In A Past Life

There’s a lot of reasons I played this today.

I’ve played it a lot. A lot of time has passed since the last time I played it. I love it a lot. Some people thought it was over produced (hey @NathanRicaud love ya!). I’ve been listening to her a lot today because of the new album. I read the New Yorker article on her today which had a lot of words and explained how the whole viral thing with Pharrell and the success of this album was a lot for her. I also love her music a lot.

This video has 22 million views, that’s a lot:

Day 12
IMG_6976.jpeg
Maggie Rogers - Notes from the Archives: Recordings 2011-2016

Before Pharrell compared her to Wu-Tang (and yall think I’m special), Rogers had self released two albums. These are collected here as well as other unreleased material from before Alaska blew her up.

13 - Thumpers: These devices call sandworms with their steady beat. Play something where the drumming or beats take center stage.

The internet never disappoints. When I was thinking about what to play today, I thought it would be a cool mashup to have the iconic fill on In The Air Tonight mixed with a sandworm. A google search shows that someone else thought of it two years ago.

Phil Collins ~ Face Value

IMG_6798.jpeg

13 - Thumpers: These devices call sandworms with their steady beat. Play something where the drumming or beats take center stage.

Normally I'd try to go a little deeper, but this one is undeniable.
There's of course When the Levee Breaks, the beat that continues to give and give.
Then there's Four Sticks - animalistic yet complex and ingenuitive beat.
And don't forget Rock and Roll, which opens with some fire and ends with even more. As a young lad I'd drag my thumb on the turntable so I could slow it down and learn that ending solo.
Stairway, as sick of it as I am, has a perfect drum moment too, and maybe it's one not everyone notices or appreciates. At 4:45, the switch from hat to ride is so perfect and adds such atmosphere.

IMG_7741 2.JPG

Back